Overclocking issues

dsmagic

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
I finished my first build of the weekend. The rig is loaded with XP 32-bit(cant find Vista CD). Here are my specs:

Mobo: P35-ds3l 2.0 bios F7
CPU: Q6600 go stepping (the retail box said max of 1.35v)
RAM: Gskill 4GB(2*2)
GPU: 9800 GTX
Cooler: Xigatek s1283
PSU: Corsair 750
HD Seagate 750 7200.11
case: Antec 900

I followed the GUIDE to Overclocking On P35-DS3L already, I have a lot of questions.

1. Should I update bios to f8f with q-flash and a usb drive
2. my retail box for the q6600 said "1.35v max", Should I never try to go above that voltage?
3. on stock settings, I was getting temps between 30-33 on idle. is that normal
Now, I have it OC to 345fsb (3.15GHz), I always have issues with prime95
4. My cpu fan(stock) does not seem to work, is there a way I can manually set it?
5. what is the best way to set the hdt-s1283 on the q6600 to hit all cores?

The voltage is set 1.31 now

shadowthor

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
update to the latest bios, The Q6600 can go safely up to 1.5V according to Intel website. When you have issues with prime95, that usually means you need to add more vcore. Are you using the stock fan or the xigatek s1283 you listed? If you are reseating the cooler make sure you clean off the thermal paste on the cpu and cpu cooler with isopryol alcohol (70% or greater). Are you using coretemp or realtemp to measure temps? Could you also list your VID? Lupiron should be able to help you when you list your VID.

dsmagic

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
What is the safest way to update bios w/o frying my mobo. I am using xigatek heatsink and fan, but the fan never spins around. I am using realtemp and HWmonitor for temps. VID?? CPU Voltage control is 1.3345 and Normal CPU Vcore is 1.325 That is what I remember, I am not in front the computer now.

Predicator

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008
Although you may have already look at this, but it never hurts to cover all your possiblities. Make sure the fan is properly connected to its power source. Also is you system is indicating that you are running 30-33C While Idle that is fine. Things you really have to monitor is when you are placing a load on the CPU. Do not allow the temps to get to high and you do not want to over load the CPU with additional voltage. So anything that is below the 1.5v is perfect for your CPU. But increasing that above could cause a reduction in your CPU lifespan or possible fry the CPU. if you wish to monitor the temp of your system use the realtemp as that will be more accurate with the modification that you can do so it better recognizes your systems preformance capability. I would also recommend that you do replace the stock fan. Visit Newegg or Tigerdirect as one of the retailer for CPU fans.