computer will flash bios screen and that's it

fly2hip8

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2007
I built this computer about a year ago. A couple of days ago I put a new harddrive in for extra storage. I put about 80GB on it and it worked flawlessly. And then today, my dad was on the internet and then it froze up. He restarted it and it would post the bios screen and then a blank screen with a cursur would come up and that's all it would do. I unplugged the powerlead going to the new harddrive and it works pefectly.

I tried pugging in a different powerlead to it. I tried plugging the sata connector into a different slot on the motherboard and nothing.

Computer
motherboard - MSI P6N SLI Platinum
PU - Enermax Liberty 500W
Video Card - EVGA 7600 GT
HD - WD 80GB
New HD installed - Seagate 500GB

Thanks for your help

akhilles

Splendid
You're saying the pc will post & boot windows if the 80gig harddisk is disconnected from the psu?

Is it a usb drive? If not, try clearing cmos, load defaults in bios, save & exit, then set up bios.

fly2hip8

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2007
Update and clarification.

Yes, the pc will post & boot with the new harddrive disconnected from PSU. It is an internal harddrive.

The new harddrive is a 500GB. I put about 80GB on it and it worked for a couple of days.

I pulled that harddrive out and put it in another computer and it works fine.

I cleared the cmos and still nothing.

Thanks

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
PSU going? I'm thinking maybe your PSU is getting weak and it's putting just too much of a powerdraw on your system. B/C it works without that hard drive attached to power, but soon as you hook up that PSU to the hard drive, it stops working right? I would say start shopping for a PSU, b/c if your PSU is on the way out, PSU's sometimes take out everything.

fly2hip8

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2007
Problem fixed.

Somehow the boot order was changed.

Live and learn.

Well, thanks to everybody who tried to help me!