Need Your Advice, Temps and Vcore

brodyx

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Hi guys! Well im new at the forum and kindda new at Ocing. Ive been reading so im not that lost anymore (i guess) , but still i would like ur advice on my safe temps so i can secure the life of my cpu , and.. cuz i havent understood yet all bout temps and vcores , i thought i started this topic so u can correct me or advice me.. So here are my specs:

CPU: E2180 - OC: 356 x 9 @ 3.2Ghz
RAM: Kingstone 2GB DDR2-667 - OC: 427 x 2 @ 854 , 5:6
MB: Gigabyte EP35-DS3L
Vcore: v1.45 at Bios , v1.42 at Windows (using Speedfan and Cpu-z as ref) * To get 3.2 -------------i CANT go under v1.45
Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper TX 2

Temps:

*Minisplit is an A.C. , like http://www.airesmirage.com/productos/absolut_r.html <-- thats the one i have on my room so im always from 18C to 26C , treats humidity also. Mine cost bout 460dlls with installation.
* Location: Monterrey, Mexico. Temps at summer can be between 38C to 45C , mostly on 40C , and like 26 to 33 at night.
* Speedfan , Coretemp and RealTemp all give me the same Temps.
* Intel spec sheet marks 73.2C as the safe temp
* RealTemp TjMax marks it at 85C

IDLE
-------------------------------------------------------------------
(with my Minisplit on at 24C roomtemp): 32 - 33C
(without my Minisplit 40C outside): 38 - 39C

LOAD
-------------------------------------------------------------------
(with Minisplit on @ 24C): 67 - 68C , 1 hr , 20min on Orthos
without Minisplit 40C out) : 70 - 74C
* Note: guessing that 74 cuz while i was typing this i loaded my cpu with orthos and my pc got rebooted so i guess i went over 73.2 safe temp)

Im ALMOST all the time with my Minisplit on at 24C , and mostly i use desktop apps like photoshop (Core Temps @ 40 -42C without Minisplit) , vbasic , adobe , etc..

Thou at night (and mostly with my Minisplit on) i play COD4 (havent check Temps) and Guitar Hero 3 (Core Temps @ 41C with Minisplit on , guessing bout 50C without Minisplit).

My CrystalMark09 marks are: * For refference only

With 3.2 and 854Ram Ocing:
ALU: 28525
FPU: 33992
MEM: 13918
TOTAL: 76435

With 3.0 and 720Ram Ocing:
ALU: 26336
FPU: 31599
MEM: 12613
TOTAL: 70548

3.0 Temps:
vcore: v1.34 BIOS , v1.31 Windows
With Minisplit: idle 31C , Load: 62 -64C
Without Minisplit: idle 34C , Load: 65 - 67C

My questions are:

1.- Would u keep that 3.2 OC?
2.- Am i in a "safe place" or am i risking my CPU lifespan??
3.- Accordingly to my pc use (as i stated) , would u recommend going to 3.0 , or would u still keep this OC?

Thanks for your help and comments and sorry bout my "newbieness" lol...

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Well those temps are kinda high. Seems to be accurate too, because as you down clocked, the temps went down.

If you are keeping the system for a bit of time, I'd use it at 3Ghz only.

Also, what is a minisplit?

blackwidow_rsa

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
I say lower to 3GHz, at that speed it's only the small cache holding you back, the difference would be neglectable. Lower the memory divider to 1:1, put the fsb to 333 and lower the VCore as much as possible.
The load is a bit high imo.
Good Luck

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008

LOL. I'm scratching my head as to what it is. He said that he has a HyperTX2 for Cooling.

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Appears he means that its 40c outside, with out the air conditioner. So he was trying to list his natural temps, along with his air conditioned inside temps.

Smart idea, really. I think they sell 50$ small versions that are non moisture producing types.

Toss one with directed airflow at your intake fans, and watch what happens!

Guess it's quite hot where he is, Cali or the equator!

--Lupi

brodyx

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Yup , minisplit is an A.C. for my room , like http://www.airesmirage.com/productos/absolut_r.html <-- that one is the one i have on my room so my room is always from 18C to 26C , treats humidity also and stuff like that , makes my pc go like 7 to 9 C lower. Mine cost bout 460dlls with installation. Keeps me comfy :p

And im in Monterrey Mexico , temps here at summer can be between 38C to 45C , mostly on 40C , and like 26 to 33 at night :p , tho in winter we can go as low as -3C lol..

ne way thnxs for your answers, im gonna try hanging on 3.0 cuz my pc is on 24/7, and tho i mostly do desktop stuff i dont wanna risk it.

Ill try to get a better Cooler to see if i can lower those temps down.

So , everyone thinks its a bad idea hanging on 3.2? lol

BTW i have my "minisplit A.C." on and im at 31C idle , 38C at "medium load" (photoshop , explorer ,winamp, dreamweaver and some haxing programs at use)

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
i think use of the word air con is better then listing the brand as we dont exactly use aircon directly for OC!lol

3Ghz will do you nicely now i think. maybe at winter keep your windows open and shoot for 4Ghz!lol

brodyx

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Why does everyone advise to have the memory at 1:1..

I left my oc at 3.0Ghz.

CPU: 376 x 8
RAM: 376 x 2.4 @ 902 , 4:5 (gives me higher Crystalmark score, tho i could leave it at 1:1 i wanted to raise my RAM speed)
VCore: v1.375 BIOS , v1.34 at Windows
Temps at load: 64 - 67 C , without my A.C. on :p at a very hot room lol

new question here , i dunno how much i can trust CrystalMark09 , but using my RAM at 1:1 got me a bigger FPU mark (34300).. and with 4:5 i get 32690

Questions:
1.- does the memory divider affects cpu speed too?
2.- does the vcore affects speed? (as in the same OC with more Vcore gives me more speed)
3.- Same question as before , with my 3.2 mentioned O.C. at the start of this topic, was i in a "safe place" on temps and Vcore? will that OC cut my CPU lifespan short?

Thnxs

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Think of it this way, the FSB is the path to and from the RAM.

To have the FSB and ram vary would mean they are out of sync with each other. Out of sync is almost never a good thing.

A data send ends at just the right moment, as opposed to pauses while the FSB moves a cycle of data through it, then takes the faster RAMs leftover data to the other piece on the next cycle.

Still took longer to get there because it waited for the next boat ride across the FSB river.

So raising it over the FSB will gain very little. Synth benchies may show a small gain. Real world. Nothing.

Prolly takes longer when your ram has to wait on the FSB for a piece of data that should have been whole.

I mean, it even has to assemble it the the other side, when it caught up, right? Who knows if that takes longer or not.

Hopefully, you get my kindergarten level language here. It really is the easiest way to explain it, unless you wanna read a few thousand pages of OC info, lol!

Enjoy!

--Lupi

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008

1. No. CPU speed(bus speed) affects memory divider
2. No. Same OC with more Vcore will get you more heat.
3. You were ok with vcore, however IMO your temps were high. Thermal specification for E2180 is 73.2C http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLA8Y. I'm pretty sure you can run higher than that, it's just that Intel won't guranteed life expectancy if you run it above voltage and temp specifications.

If you have money you may consider trying a bolt down type HSF, a tower design with a larger fan. These are newer releases. http://www.guru3d.com/article/heatpipe-cpu-cooler-roundup-review/

However the mac daddy of tower HSF is : http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/product_page/cpu/u120ex/product_cpu_cooler_u120ex.htm?art=MTQyMywxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

brodyx

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Well uve been a LOT of help , thanks really

Ill stay on my 3.0 O.C. with 1:1 Ram , and when i have the money upgrade to a better tower and some fans so i can go 3.2. But thanks to your comments and advice im now really happy with my 3.0 oc :D