Intel stock hammered hammered over disappointing fourth-quarter result

Since it seems to be the rage to create threads about the falling stock prices of a particluar semiconductor company, it only seems fair and balances to post this little tid-bit from Yahoo News.

LINK

Some noteworthy quotes...

Is this a harbinger of things to come? What about Thunderman's prediction that Intel will suffer great losses in 2008? Did Paul Otellini jump the gun when saying there was no sign of a global recession? Is Intel resting on their laurels? Was it a mistake for Intel to stop new processor development? Will Intel get caught with their pants down like they did in the Prescott days?

samael

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
If you think this is bad news just wait to see the results from AMD latter this month...

I think Intel is doing very well ... profits over 2 billion is hardly bad news...

No need for a panic attack here ... really :non: :non: :non:

drysocks

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
"Intel will suffer great losses in 2008?" Define great losses. This cannot be answered.
"Paul Otellini jump the gun" It's possible that he and us are thinking on different terms.
"Is Intel resting on their laurels?" Not in January.
"Was it a mistake for Intel to stop new processor development?" No, but it will be if they don't go back after current errors are fixed.
"Intel get caught with their pants down ..." Yes, it is a fact of life for people, organizations and governments.

chunkymonster, I love the quote you have, great song.

Amiga500

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007

Thats a pretty healthy looking growth to me...

So because the analysts screwed up, Intel's stock pays the price?

Sometimes I really wonder "why bother with the stock market - what are the advantages?"

azfj60

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
Not that the words "logical" and "stock market" should be used in the same sentence, but an equivalent reaction to AMD's earnings announcement and forecast should put it in the low 5's to high 4's, no? But to their credit AMD could spin the sinking of the Titanic into the vacation adventure of a lifetime...

Amiga500

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007

We invite you on this unique opportunity to cruise the oceans, experience the thrill of replicating the destroyer ramming runs on submarines... instead we'll use icebergs - which also present excellent photo opportunities. After this, feel free to enjoy our deep sea diving experience* in the depths of the Atlantic.

A once in a lifetime opportunity - we guarantee the memories will stay with you for the rest of your lives.

* Wet-suit and breathing apparatus not supplied.

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007

yeah but it just goes to show the ups and downs of the stock market though does it. The ups it can be a pot of gold for all, the downs healthy companies like intel making ever larger profits seeing their share price fall. There is a slight folly in taking share movements at face value....

BSMonitor

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
At well over a 100 billion in market cap, I do not think Intel is in any trouble.

Not to mention that they just increased dividends for this year too.

Investors keep hoping for the $300 billion Intel we saw in 2000. That just isn't going to happen.

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007

Well that would be exciting and you wouldnt forget it in a hurry lol

Glad to see the replies have been good natured (knock on wood). The thread was meant to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

I doubt very much that Intel has any long-term worries as a result of the 4Q 2007 results. They still made gobs of cash and command the market.

While AMD is in not-so-good shape, they'll muddle through this year targeting the mainstream and budget markets and hopefully end 2008 on an upswing with the release of 45nm.

Regardless, given the technology outlook and as an amateur investor, I just might snag a few hundred shares of each and ride them out thru the summer.

Thanks! It was a sad day when I heard Mark Sandman passed away. At least he died on stage rocking the house. I'm very glad that I was able to see Morphine live (voice of Comic Book Guy, "Best concert, ever!") before his untimely demise; that show is a memory that will live with me forever. I did have a chance to catch Orchestra Morphine with Dana Colley, Billy Conway, and Laurie Sargent. Even though they did a great job and it was an excellent show, it just wasn't the same. Morphine is always in regular rotation in my many playlists.

jeremyrailton

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
Remember, many things can influence stock price. Intel's drop is a result of decreased demand for technology products. It has nothing to do with AMD. Intel is beating AMD in every way possible right now, so that's not the issue. What we're seeing is market fluctuation due to poor market conditions and fears of recession.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006

+1

But don't worry, thunder has a thread up.

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

I just hope all of our 401K's survive. I don't own stock outside of my 401K and I might just have to switch to a fund that has a better ratio of bonds to stocks, at least until this recession blows over.

Intel, AMD, they'll all have ups and down in stock. In the long haul, it evens out, but it makes holding on to any company's stock for long periods of time a gamble. Will Intel have problems? Probably, but more due to litigation and the general market. Will AMD have problems? Sure, but they'll get over it once ATI's paid for.

Sometimes, I wish everyone would take a deep breath and just get over how the other company is doing. The facts of my loyalty are that I prefer AMD over Intel at my price segment and I've always been an ATI fan. Yet, I've owned two Nvidia cards (a Geforce 2 MX and a 7600GS) and four ATI cards (Radeon 7000, AIW Radeon 8500 128, AIW Radeon 9800 Pro and X1650 Pro). I'll be buying ATI again because I like the 3850 512 at that price segment over the 8800GT 256. Way before Nvidia and ATI, I owned Trident or SIS 2D and Voodoo 3D cards.

I've also had nine Intel CPU's, one Via CPU and 5 AMD CPU's since 1992. Three of the nine Intel were bought used from friends who upgraded. So, it's about even as far as CPU brand loyalty. I just want the Phenom B3 to do okay at it's price segment, the Phenom 45nm to do better, and Swift to be a great success. I also hope they keep pins on the CPU and not the motherboard, but maybe I'm old fashioned.

Until AMD really matches Intel at all price points, I"ll be rooting for them, and buying their products, but right now, I wouldn't buy AMD or Intel stock. The only tech company who's stock I'd buy right now is the one I work for, and I'm considering that come July. After all, IBM beat estimates this last quarter!

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
wow youve really had a collection over the years lol. I had a radeon 7000, when i got a 6600gt 3dmark01 came out with some scores that were like 12 times faster. In short, it was cack. Ran hl2 quite surprisingly well though lol