Usb device not recognized on winxp (flash drive sandisk)

omaurice

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Hello,
this is a newly build computer Asus P5 motherboard with Core 2 duo E8400proc. installed win xp pro everything worked fine then tried the sandisk flash drive on the front of the tower that too worked fine and now I have this error message usb device not recognized and in root hob "unknown device"

georgejabr

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
Hi omaurice

Check first if your sandisk flash drive can be detected at the back side of your PC. If it works fine it means that the setting connections of your new motherboard to the USB port at the front side of your PC may not be set properly.
You can verify that from your device manager. Right click my computer>Properties>from the hardware tab click device manager, expand universal serial bus controllers, right click the USB hub (yellow means it's not enabled or something wrong, you can update your driver if it's necessary) click properties and see if the device status shows whether it's working properly or not.

If your sandisk flash drive didn't work properly at the back side of your PC, the problem might be in that device, check it in another PC to find out.

Good Luck

TheHugeMan

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010

Just in case you have Daemon Tools installed. I had the same problem and the way I got round the problem was to delete Daemon Tools but then you have to look for a file left behind in C:\windows\system32\drivers and locate the file sptd.sys
I then renamed it busptd.sys rebooted the computer and the front usb then would read my flash drive. Hope this info may help if you had Daemon Tools installed.