Cooling my 6400+

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
Okay here goes. Im opting for water cooling, and read plenty about how $100 to $150 water cooling systems, and all in one solutions aren't the best ways to go.
Why? I ran OCCT and didn't like the results, yet I shouldn't have really expected much for what I have anyways.
I have a Thermaltake MiniTyphoon and replaced the fan with a 90mm Blue Eye led case fan by TT as well with a cfm range of 24.6 ~ 78.7.
Airflow is great, I have a TT Armor with 2 I-cages for front intake with fans replaced with TT's 120mm blue eye led fans with cfm range of 38.6 ~ 93.7
sadly I bought this case before they came out with the 250mm side fan version :pfff:

Anyways on to the results, room temp at ~27 celcius with all fans on low, my cores idle at 40c and 31c, at full load max temps are 65c and 66c
with all fans on max, I idle at 36c and 26c, and at full load max temps are 53c and 52c
"Edit: mind you on max it almost sounds like a small hand vacuum"

I would have a bigger heatsink except I have annoying limitations, my northbridge is ridiculously close to the cpu itself (Gigabyte GA MA770-DS3) and I have a noctua NC-U6 on it just to make matters worse :D hence my opting for a water cooling solution.
Here's what I mean...

http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn368/De_Associate/P1020702.jpg
http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn368/De_Associate/P1020703.jpg

What kind of cooling do you think I could expect from a TT Bigwater 760i, I can get it here (Canada btw) for about $155, or should I just scrap my mobo for a more conviniently built one (with a southbridge not right next to my small 3650 which kills getting anything longer :pfff: to add to the nb in the way) and get a real heatsink and only spend about 60 more in total.

This board wouldnt be a problem for needing bigger sinks than the puny stock 3 to 8 mm thin heatsinks it came with if they didnt heat up to 50+ freeking degrees, yes thats right, even the sb heats up like hell, without using on board sound btw, I guess gigabyte didn't figure a 1 inch squared 3mm tall heatsink was underkill :heink:
but i needed a quick cheap solution to upgrading to pcie and it was this, or waiting for my dumb local store for 2 weeks to get an msi cf-f.
If anyone is to suggest a new board, no I dont ever plan to crossfire or sli, and since i have an am2 cpu i think il stick with that type.

Thank you

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
I don't think 66C load on a 6400+ is anything to worry about. That is normal for them. I wouldn't bother with trying to water cool it. There are two simpler and cheaper ways to lower temps if you want.

1. Lapp your heatsink and cpu. This should lower temps by 5 - 10C

2. Find a way to fit a TRUE120 heatsink in there. Swap out the nb heatsink if needed. The TRUE120 is better than a lot of cheap water cooling setups and will cool a 6400+ at stock with no problems. You may even be able to squeeze 3.4ghz from it.

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
I worry if its above 55c, instinctual responce, i cant help it, i wish there was a guide called something like, "big heatsinks for stoopid boards", thank you for your sugestions, and im scared and to lazy to attempt lapping my sink and cpu, maybe il give it a shot when i find a good fitting giant cpu heatsink and am forced to take it apart :p

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
General safe limit is 65C, so 55C really is nothing.

However, if you really must, perhaps the TRUE (ThermalRight Ultra 120 Extreme) can do you some good. I wouldn't go with water cooling, since the TRUE beats out many of them for less.

fatcat

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005
If space is a factor, I'd recommend taking a look at the Thermalright Ultima. Seize wise it's a quite a bit smaller than the big monsters such as the TRU 120 of Ninja and the likes. Performance wise it almost scores as good as the top dogs.