Antec 900 - Modular or Not?

althius

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
I really love the 900...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021&Tpk=antec+900

I had my heart set on it for my new rig. I read along the way that the 900 was tight to work in, so getting a modular power supply really was a must.

Then I read that modular power supplies == :non:

So now I'm not sure what to do. Does the 900 need a modular supply, and if so... what might another good case option be?

Thanks in advance.

drumr1829

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
Why do modular psu's = bad?

I have the Thermaltake Armor 750w modular psu in my Antec 900 and it works great...haven't had one issue.

The only thing of concern for cramped space is lack of airflow but a few wire ties clean this right up, there are little metal clips you can attached these to. You can also stuff some extra wires under the HDD (bottom) cage if you like.

You don't need to use a modular, but for me they have become the norm. In that case, search for one with the longest cables. the 900 is huge compared to many I have used and if the cables are too short, you won't get a nice looking interior.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/ultra_x2_750_ee/

just an example.

The claim is that the connectors for the cables on modular units increase resistance and decrease efficiency or something like that. IMO, if modular cable help in convenience and the efficiency is still rated well, why not go for it? Modular cables haven't seemed to hurt the likes of companies like Corsair and Seasonic (who actually builds the HX Corsairs, but you get my point).

althius

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
In another thread I was listing my ideas for a build and was told this:

[fixed]There is some controversy wrt to modular vs non-modular, as a retired electronics tech with 37 years of experience, I would say that there is a lot of misinformation being generated on this issue. That said, my own recommendation would be for PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610, quality of your power supply is critical to system stability.[/fixed]

I guess I still haven't heard anything definative on the matter. Is modular good? Bad? Doesn't matter? Halp!

yuseaname

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
I don't have a modular power supply in my 900, I just have a regular wire orientation type unit. Longer cables do help in the tidying up of the inside, as there is enough clearance either behind the motherboard or between the case door and inner wall to run all wires. With a little elbow grease you can use any power supply and still be able keep a clean looking rig.

althius

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Wow... thanks Gravemind. That article was definitely over my head, but I think the final answer is:

"Modular is just as good on non-modular and in some ways better, although just make sure all those connections are tight."

If anyone takes something else from that article... let me know.