Do you replace your PSU with every upgrade (12-36 months)?

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
I used to upgrade with every build when I built with cheap, crap PSU's. Now I have one that exceeds my current requirements, that why I can SLI should I want to, or upgrade and still have a nice PSU. I've come to prefer flexibility over bare-minimum. :)

praeses

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
In 2000 I bought a bunch of 385/430 enermax PSU's (which were big for their time) then replaced them with 700 OCZ GameXStreams a couple years back. So no, I do not replace them all too often despite my many upgrades, but then again I don't buy the cheapest PSU out there either. The Enermaxs did die though, which expediated my need for replacements. I would say 4 years is probably a good expectation for a PSU under heavy usage.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007

Thats a bit of dangerous thinking there... i hope you at least look at the specs of the psu and the system your putting it into first, you could damage other components with this method.

Generally when i get a new machine i buy a whole new machine and my old one travels down the line (ie sister, mum , dad) so its usually a new one each time, but if you buy a good solid PSU and you upgrade, no reason why you cannot keep it for 1-3yrs if its still alive and able to sustain stable power to the upgraded systems.