Sign in with
Your question

Massive difference between actual cpu speed & reported speed

Last response: in CPUs
January 16, 2008 8:21:49 PM

Hi guys,
It's my first post here on the forum and I hate that it's a tech question cos that's bad form imo. Anyway having said that I'm pulling my hair out on this one and need some help.
I have a massive discrepancy between the speed my cpu is running at and the reported speed in xp and also cpu-z, wcpuid etc. My specs are -
X2 3800+ 2Ghz
2 gig Pc3200 RAM
7800GT
Asus MCP430 Mobo
Windows XP SP2

My Bios and also the post screen show the CPU at 2Ghz every time with no fluctuation. XP system info and CPU-z (1.43) show it as 575Mhz (funny thing is CPU-z 1.38 shows it as 2Ghz) The bus speed also shows as 58Mz instead of 200Mhz, the Hypertransport as 289Mhz instead of 1Ghz and the memory as 48Mhz instead of 200Mhz.
I ran Cinebench10 and the CPU test on PC Wizard to see if the PC was really was that slow but it ran through at the correct speed for an X2 3800.
If it was just a cosmetic irritation I wouldn't mind but it affects certain software especially games. Some run too fast, others too slow. They must take their speed info from the reported speed of the CPU.
I've searched the forums and googled it and seen similar problems related to Cool n Quiet and CPU throttling due to the wrong power option being enabled. I've tried all the suggestions but nothing has worked and no other problem has been as far out as my specs are.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

More about : massive difference actual cpu speed reported speed

January 16, 2008 10:50:47 PM

try different version cpuz , if you just worry about cpu, try run a super pie and compare result online.
a c 127 à CPUs
January 17, 2008 12:23:07 AM

What does it show everything at in BIOS? if its set there then the CPU-Z and such are just wrong. The BIOS will take precident over most apps.

Other than that it could but cool n quiet but throttling it down that low doesn't seem right. I always thought it would lower the multiplier instead but maybe. Try BIOS and check the settings. If they seem fine and if you can disable Cool n Quiet. If it still doesn't help we can try to see what else to try.
Related resources
January 17, 2008 12:38:15 AM

I have actually seen this before.
HOPEFULLY it will work for you as well.

The solution is a BIOS update.

That's it. Even if the most recent is the same as you're using. For some reason, the BIOS provided by the manufacturer sometimes has a settings lock on certain bus speeds.

Give it a try and let us know what happpened.
January 17, 2008 5:45:04 AM

Thanks for the replies.
sumlock - I tried a bios update but I updated not long ago and have the latest version already. I think that would have done the trick though.
I think it's back to normal, fingers crossed.
What I did was take it apart last night and I ended up leaving it and went to bed.
When I've put it together this morning the bios and XP and CPU-z all agree at 2Ghz. I guess it's just one of those strange glitches that happens from time to time.
January 17, 2008 5:55:52 AM

Glad to hear its sorted!
!