What gfx card would make sense for someone like me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deltakid

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007
Hi,
I just build my new computer ( http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/248006-31-built ) and I'm not sure if I really should buy a SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON HD 3850 512MB GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DL-DVI/TVO right now.

I will use the computer mostly for some photoshop (no huge files), web design and general office tasks. I want to run a two monitor setup with two 22" monitors so the gfx card got to have 2 dvi outs.

I was big time into gaming some years ago but it is too time consuming for me right now and the only game I might want to try in the coming months is Warhammer Online.

Here is a recommendation for this game in terms of graphic cards. Does it make sense to go for a class 2 card (or any other you recommend) and save some bucks now? Then I could play this game alright and maybe buy a better gfx card in a year when the new standards are more established and more games support DX10.

Class 1 Cards, The Super Heroes: Class 1 Cards will rock your world, you will be able to play everything on max settings with these bad boys of gaming. Expect 70+ fps (as long as the rest of your system is up to par)

Nvidia Geforce 8800 Series - (All Versions) DX10 PCI-E

ATI Radeon HD 2900 Series - (All versions) DX10 PCI-E

ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series - (All versions) DX10 PCI-E

-----
Class 2 Cards, The Tough Guys: With these tough guys you will be able to run on max, or at least very high and your probably not going to be lagging much either. Expect 40-60fps. (as long as the rest of your system is up to par)

Nvidia Geforce 8600 Series - (All Versions) DX10 PCI-E

ATI Radeon HD 2600 Series - (All versions) DX10 AGP and PCI-E

S3 Chrome 460 Series - (All versions) DX10 PCI-E
(expected to release Q1 2008)

Nvidia Geforce 7800/7900 Series - (All versions) DX9 AGP and PCI-E

Radeon X1900/X1950 Series (All versions) DX9 AGP and PCI-E

Nvidia Geforce 7600 Series (All versions) DX9 AGP and PCI-E

ATI Radeon X1600/1650 Series (All versions) DX9 AGP and PCI-E

Nvidia Geforce FX5900/5950 Series (All versions) DX9 AGP and PCI-E

ATI Radeon X800 Series (All versions) DX9 AGP and PCI-E
-----

http://www.warhammeralliance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21991

I think it might be unnecessary for me to buy a high powered gfx card right now while I just plan to play just this game and don't do other gfx intense tasks. Any advice would be great!

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
I think we would really need to know prices to make this determination. That 8800 is more powerful than the other options, but if there is a large price difference the 3850 might be the better deal.

I understand you have limited availability in Thailand, but none of these are current cards. Have you considered purchasing from an international vendor like ebay? Depending on how much these cards will cost you there you might be able to buy something and get a better deal even after paying ridiculous international shipping.

What is your budget?--I would like to see if i could find something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.