Vista asking for driver for a NAS

moboking

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2004
I just joined a Linksys NAS200 to my network. Everything is fine. I can access the NAS by typing \\server in the Run field in Vista. What is annoying is everytime Vista boots up, it asks for a driver of some kind to connect to this NAS. I have been clicking on Ignore and I can still connect to the NAS. What the heck is Vista looking for anyway? With NAS boxes the way I understand it is simply another computer that has its own OS (Linux in my case) that is part of the network. Vista would connect to this NAS via SMB or other protocols. It seems to me with the NAS200, Vista seems to think of this NAS as an external device like a printer or scanner connected to it via USB. I have an XP machine in the network and it never asks for a driver for this NAS200.

A lot about Vista networking that is still mysterious to me. Is there a resource on the Internet or a book that you can recommend on the advanced features of Vista networking? :pfff:

moboking

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2004
I did. It stopperd asking for the driver. A new device is added to the Device Manager list as Network Attached Storage. Now what? Nothing new happens. I still can connect to the NAS by going to \\server. My question is what advantanges gained from detecting and recognizing the NAS. In fact, Vista does not see the NAS200 as a Linksys NAS200, but a genenic NAS.

Like I said, Vista networking stuff still confuses me.

MrLinux

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
Does the thing support media streaming and uPnP (many do); if so Vista would need drivers to satisfy all the DRM media pathway stuff, XP would probably be able to use it's built-in generic drivers.