Sign in with
Your question

new SATA build, same problem as everyone

Last response: in Systems
January 5, 2008 7:27:30 PM

So I'm rebuilding my dad's computer, and like everyone else I'm encountering all these BSOD problems with installing XP Pro onto the new SATA drive. At first I thought it was bad ram (which it partially was) but I still have the problems.... From what i've been reading (and that's been A LOT), it seems my only option is to slipstream XP.. is this true, or is there some other way around it ?

stats:

Antec TruePower Trio 650
ASUS M2N-E SLI
4GB Dual Chan DDR2 PC6400 (some random brand, Transcend ?.. also, only actually running on 2GB since one stick is bad)
Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Black Edition
ZEROtherm Nirvana NV120 HS/F (that sucker is huge)
EVGA e-GeForce 8500GT (generic, but he doesn't need a gaming card)
Pioneer DVR 212D DVD+-R etc
Seagate Barracuda SATA 300

I'm not trying to build a RAID setup, just a straight single drive OS (we have an external for storage).

Nonetheless i tried using the F6 for extra drivers but of course since i'm not running an RAID setup, it kindly informed me that I didn't have and RAID arrays.

I can get into the XP setup menus, but chkdsk /f doesn't work (at all, even as an option)
no modes work (Safe, normal, last good etc)

I also checked the RAM voltage settings, and i'm good so far, RAM paperwork says 1.8, and board is running at 1.8..

from what I can see from booting in safe mode it BSoDs after trying to load the mup.sys file.

stop error is the typical: 0x0000007B (0xf789e63c,0x0000034,0x0000000,0x0000000)

is slipstreaming my only option ?

is this an ACPI issue ? I've seen stuff about having to uninstall everythign off an old copy of xp but if this is a blind clean install into a brand new drive, how the hell are you supposed to pull this off ?

I'm getting so frustrated i'm actually considering going out to get the 64version of Vista just cause i'm a little bit more confident that it will install w/o problems.. HELP !

And please feel free to enlighten me on anything else. Last time I built a comp was using AGP. So suffice to say I had to have a crash course in the standards of the day and it wasn't exactly pretty.

More about : sata build problem

a b B Homebuilt system
January 5, 2008 10:10:10 PM

Man, should not have that much probs, my dad and I built a new computer using a sata hard drive, vista 32 bit, installed just fine, picked up the drive, formatted and installed right from within windows installer. I had to do nothing extra.
January 5, 2008 10:32:36 PM

ok, does setup recognize the hd? if so, drivers aren't your problem. You may have a bad disk or a scratched/smudged/damaged disk.
Related resources
January 5, 2008 10:39:48 PM

can you set SATA to "native" mode in the BIOS?
January 5, 2008 11:21:14 PM

slipstream xp to sp2. make sure you have the sata drivers from your motherboard manufacturer. XP alone cant recognize sata drives.
January 5, 2008 11:45:21 PM

I second that. Try turning off AHCI for the SATA controller and then installing Windows.
January 6, 2008 5:19:36 AM

I'll try that.. but XP originally recognizes the drive. Albeit not at the full 300GB size but i know about the 137 limit. It makes it through the installation, then after the first restart as it is in the screen with the windows logo and the moving bar, it BSoDs with the error i listed above..
January 6, 2008 5:25:03 AM

just tried, there is no "native" setting for the drive in bios. now i have another problem, it just says disc read error, ctrl alt delete to restart.. not even the windows screen.. I have NO clue what is going on.. is it possible that XP is installing incorrectly because it can't properly recognize the drive, then tries to finish the installation only to realize that its all messed up and bsod on me ?
January 6, 2008 12:43:00 PM

do you have ANY sata options? legacy, AHCI, native... etc

most motherboards let you set the mode.
January 6, 2008 1:32:01 PM

This may be a bit "out there" but I have found that ASUS AM2 mobos are picky about what RAM you use. When I built my first computer, I had similar problems installing XP, and then found out my RAM did not work properly with my mobo. Had to install some "random" RAM install XP and then do a BIOS update before I could use the fancy ass RAM I bought cuzz it said "gamer" on it. Maybe check into your RAM, especially since you indicate that there were some problems with it.
January 6, 2008 1:33:03 PM

This MB has no sata options other than IDE enabled or disabled and Raid enabled or disabled. (see manual pages 4-27 - 4-29)

Suggestion:
Enter Bios and press F5 to load defaults, F10 to save & exit, then reinstall XP. Check your OS disc for scratches or smudges.
January 6, 2008 2:40:52 PM

you also seem to be hitting the 137gb limit. if you have another pc operational with a cd burner, id slipstream SP2 into windows setup. That may make your job a tad easier. The fact that the drive is being recogized by windows setup makes me think that the bios default to legacy mode (emulating IDE) so you shouldn't need drivers.
January 6, 2008 6:00:15 PM

hrm.. yeah i'm thinking thats what I might do.. I'll try slipstreaming SP2 and then reloading all the defaults in the bios and try installing.. hopefully that will work.. i'll update as soon as it goes down.
January 7, 2008 3:03:28 AM

Had those problems before...

You will need to load up XP with a bootable floppy and install some drivers first... I forget the total routine since I did it quite a while ago... getting XP to work with SATA drives is REALLY STUPID... but oh well...
January 7, 2008 3:51:01 AM

Just a note: The BSOD is a "inaccesable boot device". You will have to load SATA/RAID drivers at the F6 prompt. You should load both the standard SATA and the RAID drivers which came with your mainboard (even if you are not using the RAID fuction). There is a utility to make the disks on the CD-ROM that came with your board. Windows XP cannot natively recognize a SATA controller on an AMD board. (some of the intels are in the driver base on newer XP releases but not the AMDs). You will have to do the same on VISTA too so getting that wont help this issue.

Hope this helps...
January 7, 2008 2:30:39 PM

I missed something the first time around. You'll definitely need to slipstream SP2 into your XP install media. As others have mentioned, load the SATA drivers from floppy at the F6 prompt. This combination should result is a well performing installation.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 7, 2008 3:32:24 PM

Download a program called nLite, download SP2, and download the latest drivers for your controller and burn a new Windows XP install disc.

NLite makes it super easy to do slipstreaming. You can add SP2 and the drivers to the disc to bypass "F6-ing" controller drivers. The 137GB limitation the OP mentioned indicates either the SATA controller is older (pre 2003, not the case here) or the XP CD is not up to date (at least SP1) because the large HDD size is not seen correctly.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 7, 2008 4:26:29 PM

rw has the best suggestion. I just installed xp pro on an AMD crosshair board with sp2 slipstreamed on a barracuda 320gb drive and didn't need the f6 drivers. Everything went smooth.

I would update the bios as soon as you can.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 7, 2008 4:28:15 PM

ps I updated my bios before this latest install.
Anonymous
January 7, 2008 5:47:38 PM

Yes some systems don't have the option to change the SATA setting. You will have to slip the SATA drivers into your WinXP CD. I thought this only happened to laptops though, never seen it with a PC build. While you are at it might as well slip your full drivers into the new CD. Via nlite. Makes reinstalls a snap.
January 9, 2008 4:12:58 AM

update:

SUCCESS !!!!!! slipstreaming worked with SP2 and the sata drivers. Thanks so much for all the help, it literally went of with a hitch... and even though i had to read a lot for nLite to make sure i had everything set correctly, I understand why you'd use that program because it is seriously a timesaver and mad convinient.. THANKS AGAIN to everyone for all the help and input !!!!
a b B Homebuilt system
January 9, 2008 3:26:08 PM

I'm glad you got it working.

And yes, nLite kicks @$$.
June 19, 2008 12:29:41 PM

rushfan said:

I second that. Try turning off AHCI for the SATA controller and then installing Windows.
Just wanted to let you guys/gals know that I had an HP xw6400 with Windows XP Prof which I was upgrading to Windows 2003 Server Standard and had the same issue.

To solve, we went into BIOS and changed the Sata Emulation Mode to "Seperate Primary and Secondary Controller" and after a reboot, the W2003 O/S install went ok.
June 20, 2008 2:30:45 PM

This might be slightly off topic - but will new XP w/SP2 disks allow SATA drives to be installed without a hitch?

I recently ran into a horde of BSOD issues with a new build including a SATA drive.
June 21, 2008 10:43:24 PM

That's the way it's always been for me - I've never had to do F6 in any of my XP SATA builds. (with SP2, of course)
!