Power User setup on XP Pro?

I'm running Windows XP Pro version 2002 SP2 and am trying to set up a power
user account, but the only options available are admin and limited. I've
heard that XP Home is limited to these two options, but everything in read on
XP Pro says that I should be able to set up Power Users. Help!
7 answers Last reply
More about power user setup

    This confused me at first also. Go to Start, then Run, and type in

    control userpasswords2

    and press Enter.

    In the dialog that appears, you can either add an account or check the
    properties of an account. Clicking on the Properties box will give you
    another window. There will be a tab that says Group Membership. On that tab
    you can click Other, and in the drop down box will be all sorts of account
    choices - Power User included.

    You can also go through Control Panel...Administrative Tools...Computer
    Management to achieve the same effect.

    "Ron" wrote:

    > I'm running Windows XP Pro version 2002 SP2 and am trying to set up a power
    > user account, but the only options available are admin and limited. I've
    > heard that XP Home is limited to these two options, but everything in read on
    > XP Pro says that I should be able to set up Power Users. Help!

    Thanks. That worked!

    Two related questions:
    1) on my other computer running XP Pro, when I log off of one account, a
    screen appears that allows me to either log off or change user. On this
    computer, I only get the log off option. How can I change this?
    2) on the other computer when I power up, a screen appears with icons for
    each user account. On this computer, I get a screen that requires that I
    type in a user name and password. I'd rather have the other icon based
    screen. How do I convert that?

    Ron

    "usasma" wrote:

    > This confused me at first also. Go to Start, then Run, and type in
    >
    > control userpasswords2
    >
    > and press Enter.
    >
    > In the dialog that appears, you can either add an account or check the
    > properties of an account. Clicking on the Properties box will give you
    > another window. There will be a tab that says Group Membership. On that tab
    > you can click Other, and in the drop down box will be all sorts of account
    > choices - Power User included.
    >
    > You can also go through Control Panel...Administrative Tools...Computer
    > Management to achieve the same effect.
    >
    > "Ron" wrote:
    >
    > > I'm running Windows XP Pro version 2002 SP2 and am trying to set up a power
    > > user account, but the only options available are admin and limited. I've
    > > heard that XP Home is limited to these two options, but everything in read on
    > > XP Pro says that I should be able to set up Power Users. Help!

    Hi,

    Answer to both is to enable Fast User Switching (FUS) in the Users applet of
    the Control Panel (see "change the way users log on and log off). You need
    to enable both the Welcome screen and FUS.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks. That worked!
    >
    > Two related questions:
    > 1) on my other computer running XP Pro, when I log off of one account, a
    > screen appears that allows me to either log off or change user. On this
    > computer, I only get the log off option. How can I change this?
    > 2) on the other computer when I power up, a screen appears with icons for
    > each user account. On this computer, I get a screen that requires that I
    > type in a user name and password. I'd rather have the other icon based
    > screen. How do I convert that?
    >
    > Ron
    >
    > "usasma" wrote:
    >
    >> This confused me at first also. Go to Start, then Run, and type in
    >>
    >> control userpasswords2
    >>
    >> and press Enter.
    >>
    >> In the dialog that appears, you can either add an account or check the
    >> properties of an account. Clicking on the Properties box will give you
    >> another window. There will be a tab that says Group Membership. On that
    >> tab
    >> you can click Other, and in the drop down box will be all sorts of
    >> account
    >> choices - Power User included.
    >>
    >> You can also go through Control Panel...Administrative Tools...Computer
    >> Management to achieve the same effect.
    >>
    >> "Ron" wrote:
    >>
    >> > I'm running Windows XP Pro version 2002 SP2 and am trying to set up a
    >> > power
    >> > user account, but the only options available are admin and limited.
    >> > I've
    >> > heard that XP Home is limited to these two options, but everything in
    >> > read on
    >> > XP Pro says that I should be able to set up Power Users. Help!

    Thanks for the reply!

    When I try enabling FUS as you suggest, I get a msg that "NetWare has
    disabled the Welcome screen and FUS. To retore these features, uninstall
    Client Services for NetWare"

    What's this NetWare?

    Ron

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Answer to both is to enable Fast User Switching (FUS) in the Users applet of
    > the Control Panel (see "change the way users log on and log off). You need
    > to enable both the Welcome screen and FUS.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks. That worked!
    > >
    > > Two related questions:
    > > 1) on my other computer running XP Pro, when I log off of one account, a
    > > screen appears that allows me to either log off or change user. On this
    > > computer, I only get the log off option. How can I change this?
    > > 2) on the other computer when I power up, a screen appears with icons for
    > > each user account. On this computer, I get a screen that requires that I
    > > type in a user name and password. I'd rather have the other icon based
    > > screen. How do I convert that?
    > >
    > > Ron
    > >
    > > "usasma" wrote:
    > >
    > >> This confused me at first also. Go to Start, then Run, and type in
    > >>
    > >> control userpasswords2
    > >>
    > >> and press Enter.
    > >>
    > >> In the dialog that appears, you can either add an account or check the
    > >> properties of an account. Clicking on the Properties box will give you
    > >> another window. There will be a tab that says Group Membership. On that
    > >> tab
    > >> you can click Other, and in the drop down box will be all sorts of
    > >> account
    > >> choices - Power User included.
    > >>
    > >> You can also go through Control Panel...Administrative Tools...Computer
    > >> Management to achieve the same effect.

    Hi,

    It's a network protocol. If it is installed, then FUS is not supported. If
    it is unneeded, then uninstall it by right clicking your connection in the
    networking folder and checking properties. It will be one of the installed
    services or protocols. Whether or not you actually need it depends on the
    type of connection you have.

    --

    > Thanks for the reply!
    >
    > When I try enabling FUS as you suggest, I get a msg that "NetWare has
    > disabled the Welcome screen and FUS. To retore these features, uninstall
    > Client Services for NetWare"
    >
    > What's this NetWare?
    >
    > Ron
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Answer to both is to enable Fast User Switching (FUS) in the Users applet
    >> of
    >> the Control Panel (see "change the way users log on and log off). You
    >> need
    >> to enable both the Welcome screen and FUS.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks. That worked!
    >> >
    >> > Two related questions:
    >> > 1) on my other computer running XP Pro, when I log off of one account,
    >> > screen appears that allows me to either log off or change user. On
    >> > this
    >> > computer, I only get the log off option. How can I change this?
    >> > 2) on the other computer when I power up, a screen appears with icons
    >> > for
    >> > each user account. On this computer, I get a screen that requires that
    >> > type in a user name and password. I'd rather have the other icon based
    >> > screen. How do I convert that?
    >> >
    >> > Ron

    I've successfully changed the options to allow power users and have set up
    two such accounts. However, they don't have the same ability as an
    administrator to run an ebook program that I'm told by the supplier should
    work when set up this way. I've also observed that when I'm in one of these
    power user accounts and check the type of account, it's listed there as an
    "unknown account type". I'm wondering if that's a XP problem, not allowing
    full Power User capability when set up this way. Or is it an ebook problem?

    Ron

    "usasma" wrote:

    > This confused me at first also. Go to Start, then Run, and type in
    >
    > control userpasswords2
    >
    > and press Enter.
    >
    > In the dialog that appears, you can either add an account or check the
    > properties of an account. Clicking on the Properties box will give you
    > another window. There will be a tab that says Group Membership. On that tab
    > you can click Other, and in the drop down box will be all sorts of account
    > choices - Power User included.
    >
    > You can also go through Control Panel...Administrative Tools...Computer
    > Management to achieve the same effect.
    >
    > "Ron" wrote:
    >
    > > I'm running Windows XP Pro version 2002 SP2 and am trying to set up a power
    > > user account, but the only options available are admin and limited. I've
    > > heard that XP Home is limited to these two options, but everything in read on
    > > XP Pro says that I should be able to set up Power Users. Help!

    Hi,

    The "unknown account type" is normal, it is not of concern.

    The problem is that the user group or account does not sufficient privileges
    to the program installation folder. You need to give the users "read and
    execute" permissions at a minimum. I have seen some cases where full control
    is required as well.

    --

    "ronsba" <ronsba@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've successfully changed the options to allow power users and have set up
    > two such accounts. However, they don't have the same ability as an
    > administrator to run an ebook program that I'm told by the supplier should
    > work when set up this way. I've also observed that when I'm in one of
    > these
    > power user accounts and check the type of account, it's listed there as an
    > "unknown account type". I'm wondering if that's a XP problem, not
    > allowing
    > full Power User capability when set up this way. Or is it an ebook
    > problem?
    >
    > Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    >
    > Ron
    >
    > "usasma" wrote:
    >
    >> This confused me at first also. Go to Start, then Run, and type in
    >>
    >> control userpasswords2
    >>
    >> and press Enter.
    >>
    >> In the dialog that appears, you can either add an account or check the
    >> properties of an account. Clicking on the Properties box will give you
    >> another window. There will be a tab that says Group Membership. On that
    >> tab
    >> you can click Other, and in the drop down box will be all sorts of
    >> account
    >> choices - Power User included.
    >>
    >> You can also go through Control Panel...Administrative Tools...Computer
    >> Management to achieve the same effect.
    >>
    >> "Ron" wrote:
    >>
    >> > I'm running Windows XP Pro version 2002 SP2 and am trying to set up a
    >> > power
    >> > user account, but the only options available are admin and limited.
    >> > I've
    >> > heard that XP Home is limited to these two options, but everything in
    >> > read on
    >> > XP Pro says that I should be able to set up Power Users. Help!

Microsoft Power Windows XP