Building my first PC. Need help.

jgame

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008
Just signed up for the forums, so I guess I'll say whats up to everyone on here and I hope you all had a good Holiday.

Anyways, I need some help/suggestions. I want to build a computer from the ground up and I've never done this before. I've always wanted to, but I've always gone with pre-builts. So with that said, I will be purchasing most if not all components from newegg.com. I just need help or suggestions in my new build. I don't really have any parts picked out, but I have a general idea of what I want. I'll give you guys some info so you know what I'm trying to build, and what I would need to do so.

First off, my budget is a max of $1,750

What I will be using my PC for:

Gaming- Lastest and future releases for RTS games, MMORPG (Warhammer Online), and FPS (don't really need to play Crysis on max with full settings) I'm not into too many FPS games on PC, I stick with consoles for that...

Internet- Surfing, email, downloading, uploading.

Software/Apps- Photo and video editing/capturing, music, and Microsoft Office.

Operating System- Vista Home Premium (32-bit).

I"ll be getting a 22" LCD Monitor and I have a keyboard and mouse. I would also like my new PC to be somewhat future proof (around 2-3 years before I have to upgrade), and have some expandablity. I do know that I want a Core 2 Duo Proccessor or one of those quad-cores. Any help, suggestions, advice would be greatly appreciated and I hope I offered you guys enough information. I really look forward to building my first PC and I want to make sure it's everything I want it to be. Thanx in advance.

neiljung

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2007
Is your budget an "I'm spending the max" or "I'd rather not spend the max if I can still get a good pc for much less money" type of budget?

You could get an E2180 with a P35 board and two gig of dual channel ram for well under $300, and that's buying the not too shabby stuff.

You will be looking to clock the E2180 to around 3Ghz for best gaming performance as anything over might benefit apps slightly but seems to impact on gaming. Boards would be the Asus P5K, Gigabyte DS3L and some Abit board (P35 E?) the name of which escapes me.

Stick an 8500 with 512mb of gddr3 on top for another...$160? (just guessing local prices compared to UK.

Geil PC6200 ultra ram, or splash out on some crucial ballistix, why not. You just saved a ton.

Earthwatts PSU and whatever case you like.

Or. Get a nice quad-core that very few applications or games will use, at least right now and a X38 mobo with SLI or crossfire.

Get two 8800GT's or new revision GTS cards.

????

Profit.

????

Or somewhere in-between that.

Depends how much of your max budget you want to spend. With the 22" you should probably be looking at 512MB 8800's or 38XX.

Akifuddin

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
Or you can wait...only 2 weeks left till dual-core penryns are released. I know waiting is gay but 2 weeks ain't much. I might wait and I'm stuck in the same dilemma as you: Q6600 or dual-core penryn. As for the rest, you look ok. Corsair psu recommended and crucial ram for overclocking.

jgame

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008
As for my budget, I don't mind spending $1,750. I want a great rig that will play current and future RTS games, MMORPG, and FPS on my 22" 1680x1050. Also, like I said I want to be able to do some photo and video editing/capturing, music, and microsoft office. I do not plan to overclock since this is my first time building and learning about the ins and outs of hardware. Maybe once I do another upgrade I will overclock, but for the new system, I might not. Another problem I'm having is that I've heard if I wanted to get the new 8800GTS (G92) 512MB video card, that I would have to buy a full tower case. I don't like full towers, they're too big for my taste, I'd like those mid-tower cases.