Sign in with
Your question

PLEASE GIVE ADVICE ON MY BUILD

Last response: in Systems
January 5, 2008 8:34:55 PM

First off, I am a new builder and consider myself smart enough to build a nice system that i will be able to game and use for atleast a few more years. I would really appericate any info, advice, that you have with your builds or experience regarding building a new system.

I bougth around 2 and a half years ago a emachines T6216 ADM Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0 GHz 512mb L2 cach, 160gb ata hard drive, 2GB of DDR Kingston ram, with a Ms-7207 ver: 1 mother board running xp for OS. 8600GT xfx 512mb ddr2 ram I believe this is a 939 socket, not sure, I am getting conflicting info on the net, but pretty sure it is, anyone know for sure, 939 socket??? I play warhammer40,000 K dark cursade, and when I put the 8600GT in both the T6216 and the new emachine I got from best buy both did very well, turned everything up to high, no lag, great grafix! I am still thinking about upgrading this 3200+ single to a 3800+ dual cpu and upgrade to vista 64 and 4GB of DDR, because i have had no problem with this emachine, and plan on giving it to my girlfriend. Its only $59.00 for the CPU dual core 3800+ and I was impressed with the 4400+ dual on the one i took back to best buy. Let me know what you think is it worth it, Do I have 939 with this MS-7207 ver: 1???

When I first started this project I went to best buy around x-max, big mistake IMO, and bougth a new emachines with the AMD Athlon 64x2 4400 processor 2.1 Ghz not sure on the cach with this one, 350 Gb hard drive SATA, 1GB of ram(i put in two extra 1GB sticks for 3.5 GB with my 8600GT xfx grafix card) with window vista 32bit pre installed. This was my first chance to check out vista home premium and kinda liked what I saw. Most of every thing on here worked great, and when I got everything in Vista rated this emachine at 4.8 up from 2.8 with out the ram and the card. One thing that caused me to return the new emachine is T3523 I think not sure?? was that when I would put in a dvd it would not read it, drive said no disc. Best buy geek squad optimized this for me for $30.00 and still had problems with the drive reading disc. It would work sometimes but not others. So I returned it and started looking for better processor for my T6216 and ways to upgrade because this computer has been very good to me over the last two and half years, other then the Macfree crap not being able to fully uninstall.

When I first started to look at processors on Newegg. com I found a AMD Athlon 64x2 6400+ BE/with out cpu cooler. Started looking into the mother board and found out the x2 6400+ will not work with my mother board because of the DDR Ram, and posibbly the chip set, and the fact that its not a AM2, if it is a 939, I now have found out it can take up to a AMD 64 x2 duel core 4400+ cpu, anybody know it this is true??? I found a AMD 64 x2 3800+ on newegg that is only $59.00 but at the time i read that the 939 could not except duel core cpu I made a huge investment thinking I could not upgrade to a decent set up that ran vista home p 64bit version. I Had one PCIe x 16 slot for my 8600gt and the Ms-7207 ver: 1 comes with two SATA conects on the board, but I believe they are only sata I/ 1.5Gb data transfer rate. instead of the 3.0Gb sata II. I know if I wanted to do any serious upgrade that I would of had to change the power supply(stock on this T6216 and even the new emachine I bought was 300 watt. Seeing how the min, power supply for 8600Gt was 350watt, but it did run on my T6216 and the new one with the 4400+ processor, and vista 32bit that I returned to Bestbuy and seemed to run good.)

Well sorry for the long history report, LOL just wanted to give ya a idea were i was at and now for the good part were i am going once UPS gets this stuff here, should be 01/09/08 by the time it all gets here.

1@ NZXT Alpha Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with open Window $54.99
1@ Rosewill RX750-D-B ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91 750W power supply $134.99
1@ ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe wireless edition AM2 Nvidia nforce 590 SLI mcp atx amd motherboard $169.99
1@ AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+ Windsor 3.2 GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-core Processor $179.99
1@ arctic silver 5 therma compound 5.99
1@ Rosewill RCX-Z940-SL92 mm 2 ball CPU cooler $29.99 -10.00==$19.99
2@ OCZ Gold 2GB STicks 240 pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800(PC2 6400) $93.00 can go up to 8GB with Mboard.
1@ Seagate Sata/300 Barracuda 3.5" 500GB 16Mb Cache 3Gbs 7200Rpm $120.00
1@ Samsung SH-S203 DVD+R/-R 20x Sata retail ver. with lightsribe $80.00
1@ DYnex internal all in one card reader DX- CRD12 Vista Comp. $16.99
1 soon to be 2@ XFX Geforce8600GT SLI ready 512MB DDR2 540MHz Core Vista certified $118.00

I was going to put XP pro 64 bit ($139.00) in for the OS but at last moment Decided to go with
Builder Single use pack Vista home premium 64 bit ver. for $111.00 mistake or a plus??... anyone? I like the short look at vista i got and wanted to try it again on this new build.

I need opinions here guys, on compatiblity issues, set up, over-all performance, tips advice other then your choice really suck, unless you have first had experience in the same set up and why something did not work out. No AMD bashers or anything like that. This is what I have decided to work with just let me know what you think, don't mind neg input but no bashing, OK, thanks... I have well at $1000.00 into this rig, and hope I don't have a $1000.00 paper weight when I get it up and running.

Thanks guys!!!

More about : give advice build

January 5, 2008 9:00:16 PM

Rosewill is not as good as PC Power Cooling and Antec
January 5, 2008 9:01:47 PM

Well I have to be honest and I'll give the bad news first, Rosewill power supplies are known to make horrible units, so if you can I'd get that changed to an Antec (NeoHE or Earthwatts), Corsair (VX, HX, or TX), Seasonic (S12 or M12), or PC Power & Cooling Silencer units, these are top notch units.

Other than that, the only problem I see is SLI 8600GT, you see it is a rule of thumb never to SLI midrange cards, because the performance gain is extremely low. If you were to return the cards and get an HD3850 at the very least you would see unbelievable gains over any midrange SLI/Crossfire setup.

Onto the good news, Vista 64 should work just fine... The X2 6400, even though it wouldn't be my first choice, is definitely a good CPU and you can't go wrong. I would've picked Crucial Ballistix Ram, but the OCZ one works just fine.

The two big flaws on your build are the bad PSU and slow-performing midrange SLI setup, I do not have any first hand experience with it because to be honest, after almost witnessing a fiasco with a cheap PSU I vowed never to buy anything other than a top quality unit for my own system, and before I buy graphics cards I do a lot of planning (Did this for myself, my brother, and a friend's graphics cards throughout 2007). Overall not bad.. have fun with your build, but on the first chance you get I suggest you correct the two mistakes I pointed out.
Related resources
January 5, 2008 9:13:36 PM

hey, thanks emp, I already have the psu coming and I did see some good reviews on it, because I don't want to put in a SH__ psu in my new set up. I am not sure about the gfx card you put on there not much experience on other models but thanks for input. I have heard some bad things about antec ps with asus boards. Have you?
January 5, 2008 9:17:27 PM

oh yeah emp, Is that card compatible with my ASUS motherboard cause it supports SLI
January 5, 2008 9:29:56 PM

anyone have experience with ABS Tagan BZ series BZ 800?? Saw this one for 199.00 with a $30 dollar rebate for 169.00 let me know
January 5, 2008 9:33:35 PM

I have heard horrible things about ASUS products, that's why I dislike them. I dislike the fact that they love to sell stuff at inflated prices just because it has an ASUS logo on it, but it's nowhere near as good as say... GIGABYTE boards. Anyway, that's personal vendetta against ASUS, and I have heard about these problems that you speak of, but they are ASUS's fault and I believe they are fixed.

The thing is, people that do review in neweggs are 98% of the time PSU illiterate, meaning that they know squat about PSUs and as long as it powers up it's a 5-star product for them, but in fact there's so much more to look for than that. You have to look for rail voltage stability, ripple, true output power (not the max rating that cheapo units love to give)... why is this important? Because all these will damage your system components over time, and believe me they will.

Also something that is just as important as the above is the build quality, this means how well and with what kind of components the units were built, usually cheap units are prone to failure and they like to retire other components aswell, so if your unit fails you could be also out of a graphics card or motherboard or virtually anything else that else directly or indirectly powered by the unit (RAM is very sensitive to this BTW).

Ok about the graphics cards, here are some numbers for you...

In Prey (1280x1024 benchmark), the 8600GT SLI scores 26.4fps and the HD2600XT Crossfire scores 40.6fps, while the single HD3850 ($170) spits 52.6fps, the HD3870 ($250) does 61.1fps, and the 8800GT ($270) does 85.3fps.

On the oblivion (outdoor 1600x1200 benchmark), the 8600GT SLI does 17.7fps, the HD2600XT CF does 19.5fps, the HD3850 does 24.3fps, the HD3870 26.3fps, and the 8800GT does 32.8fps.

This pattern will always repeat with either the HD2600XT CF or 8600GT SLI switching spots, but ALWAYS coming far below the superior HD3850, HD3870, and 8800GT. I am telling you this because I believe if you sell your old card for $50 and get a refund from newegg you can get a very strong performer such as the HD3850 only for $160-170 that will crush your current setup.

Visiontek HD3850 ($170)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HIS HD3850 ($175)

Yes all cards that are PCI-Express x16 or 2.0 will work on any PCI-Express x16 slot, however you won't be able to do a Crossfire configuration on a SLI Board or a SLI configuration on a Crossfire Board. (Not that it's really important since it's not cost-effective either)
January 5, 2008 9:42:08 PM

Here are the two BEST PSU deals on newegg, I'm not basing this on price alone but rather, out of the TOP quality units I am showing you the ones with that are giving the best prices, there's also the Corsair 620HX, Seasonic M12 600W, Antec NeoPower 650W (version that is without the blue lights) that are not priced as competitively as these two:

PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 EPS12V EPS12V 610W Continuous @ 40°C Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, cUL, CE, CB, TUV - Retail

Antec NeoPower 650 Blue ATX12V / EPS12V 650W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Retail

Out of these two, the better deal is definitely the PCP&C Silencer 610W if you don't mind a lot of cables, but the Antec one is slightly more powerful on the 12V rails and is modular, so that's definitely a plus to consider if you like a tidy case.

EDIT: Regarding your question, I have only heard bad things about Rosewill units, on the other hand I have only heard good things about Tagan units, so if I wasn't such a fan of Seasonic (Includes Antec, Seasonic, and Corsair) and PCP&C built units I would definitely give Tagan units a shot.
January 5, 2008 9:46:46 PM

no info on the ABS Tagan brand 800 Watt Emp??
January 5, 2008 9:47:32 PM

ok got your edit thanks for the info.
January 6, 2008 3:38:15 AM

Ok just did alot of research on the power supply I got the rosewill RX 750 and from what i found on this site, http://www.computerforum.com/90118-useful-psu-case-guid...

This person summed it up for me very well and thanks for your input emp, but from what i just read Rosewill depending on the model you buy from them has 5 or 6 different manufactures for there units. Lucky for me The RX in the model number means that ATNG E186010 built it, I think thats the name and they have a very good rep on building stable power source's or atleast the new RX-750w and RX850w supplied to Rosewill have tested very well and even use a true duel rail setup and some of the same parts that pc coolers Psu put into there turbo cool lines. The other five that builds for them put out very crappy PSU and is giving them a bad rep, most of these units are all under 750 watt units. I looked at the link that you put up for the other PSU's and found that when comparing the fetures of mine to them, Mine has Active PFC which means they give a tolerence of 0.99 for very clean power, they also did not skimp on the quad 12v rails and each is 20A giving a total of 60 amp. most of the ones I looked at, Antec included 12v rails with a 16-18 amp rails which from what that link says is not a good Idea to go under a 18amp rating on the 12v rails. I almost sent back the order for this Rosewill and go with a Tagan 850 watt but after looking at its specs it was not any better then the Rosewill on paper. Only plus would be the model cables but I also read that those look nicer but cause more resistance. Also the psu rated a +10% when the Rosewill gave a 0.99% tolerence, so I will not be switch to the tagan. I will give this PSU a try and see what happens.

BTW I think you are correct about the two PSu's you recommended, you said that the Pcp&c 610 watt is better and I believe it is also. The single 12v rail puts out like 46amp i think which is very good. The other antec on has three rails and are rated at 16 or 18 each. Which is not that great.
January 6, 2008 5:09:48 AM

medjohnson77 said:
I found a AMD 64 x2 3800+ on newegg that is only $59.00 but at the time i read that the 939 could not except duel core cpu I made a huge investment thinking I could not upgrade to a decent set up that ran vista home p 64bit version.

Socket 939 accepts Socket 939 processors. I have a Socket 939 Athlon 64 X2 3800+ in my Socket 939 system right now.

The X2 3800+ Socket AM2 won't fit a Socket 939 board, you need to use one of the Socket 939 processors. Those are older, harder to find models.
January 6, 2008 5:33:41 AM

thanks crashman i found a 939 socket dual core 3800+ for 60 bucks but not sure if my ms-7207 ver: 1 board has the 939. what kinda machine is your computer. Mine is a T6216 emachines 3200+ single core at the moment
January 6, 2008 6:14:11 AM

I have an Asus A8R32-MVP motherboard and upgraded from a 3200+ to an X2 3800+ around a year ago.
January 6, 2008 1:01:49 PM

Antec units are Seasonic built, therefore even though they advertise multiple rails (just like all High quality seasonic built units) they are actually giant single rail units (Seasonic has stated this on the past), the Antec NeoPower 650 has a single rail of 54A I believe.

Also you do not add rails like 20+20+20+20=80, that's a common mistake, what you have to do is look for the total rated wattage of the 12V rails, that unit that you mentioned I believe has a rated amperage of 60A, which is really good, but to be completely honest with you a $135 unit with a rated 60A on the 12V rail might sound nice, but it says trouble to me, since high quality units with this kind of power can't be found for anything less than $170 or so.

Well I did my best to warn you, first and foremost have fun with your build, it is a great learning experience for everyone, I hope everyone works out right.
January 7, 2008 12:36:11 AM

Hey emp,

Thank you for your advice, I hope that this unit proves you wrong, I have checked other forms including Johnyguru I believe and from there test of my RX 750 watt and two other including the 550 watt and the 850 watt, it provided clean stable power on the 12volt rail. However the 550watt model was made by a different company then my Rx750 and did not have active pfc and in the long run can damage system hard ware. I do believe that if a company like Rosewill can find a good sub to build there PSU's and they test well that people should not snub there noise up at them. One guy on that forum even knocked the guy that tested the 550watt madmat, even though it tested very well saying that regardless if the model tested good, they should not post the findings because Rosewill is a crap brand. Wow that makes a lot of sense, so much for advancement.
January 7, 2008 1:41:33 AM

Well, let us know how it works, and good luck to you! Personally, I'd listen to emp, but it's your choice.

I don't get the $80 burner. What does it have compared to the OEM version that makes it worth so much more?
January 7, 2008 3:15:45 AM

I bought the burner at bestbuy cause they gave me a $30 gift card because of the geeksquad service they would not refund in cash. Plus it was there and yes could of got the 40.00 dollar OEM from newegg but i would of had to wait aleast 3 days past my other things gettin here. So I believe the only difference is it is retail, come with the SATA lines and has the lightscribe and Nero 7.1 ultra version of nero with it.(trial version i believe) I think it was really like 72.00 for it+ tax.
January 7, 2008 3:21:25 AM

I will aevm,

hopefully it will work well. I been been doing alot of research on this psu and I hope it will run my new build well for years to come. I do how ever have my eyes on a Pc Power turbo-860 psu. They are suppossed to be one of the best, and it has double the run life(200,000 vs rosewill's 100,000) for $269+ shipping.
January 7, 2008 3:22:36 AM

Oh yeah, and a 7 year war. on the PSU, vs Rosewill's 3 year.
January 7, 2008 5:03:54 AM

Just got off Jonnyguru.com went into reviews at the top somewhat left, and low and behold on page two Rosewills RX750 and RX850 have been put to the test, no more doggin it, they performed very well and my model the RX750 did better and got the jonnyguru recommendation. I do not believe this is poorly made and can not wait to see what it can do! The test show all and lay to rest all trash talk about This model of rosewill PSU's being a crappy PSU. All for $156.00 bucks!
January 7, 2008 7:03:01 PM

Well the case and the PSU and Processor got here today, and I can't finish till UPS gets the mother board here, but I did install the PSU, and I have to say I am very impressed with the PSU on Looks right off the bat! Quality seems very good also, nice cables, mesh wraped and heat shrink wrap at the ends. I installed the Card reader, the PSU, the HD and the DVD writer. This unit looks very nice! More to come + pics when the rest gets here and I can fire it up.
January 8, 2008 8:06:57 PM

Hello all,

Mother board and CPU cooler and Ram got here today, needless to say after getting this baby hooked up I am nervous and very excited! This case has allowed me plenty of room, everything looks very well placed, and now for the good part. I went to fire her up, and low and behold the board glowed green for good but could not get the LCD to get a picture. Alarm was beeping, One long and Two short, found that it meant a ram error. Took it out to have a look and it appears that one of the 2 gb OZC sticks, where the heat sink plate is too close to the pins causing it not to seat all the way. Replaced it and sure enough it came right up to ASUS logo. This may sound stupid but like I said it is my first build is that the M2N32-SLi deluxe does not come with a VGA hook up for your LCD screen, you must have a Grafix card for the VGA out or HDMI out. I m sure most of you know that though, it was news to me, LOL. Well just waiting on My Vista 64, should be here tomorrow and I can see what this thing can do! Checked the power states in the Bois and all reading for the PSU are very good, no problems!
January 9, 2008 12:47:11 PM

I have been checking the Bois menu cuz until Ups gets here this morning with my Vista 64 thats all I can do, and the CPU temp is a very stable 39-40C and mother board is at 35-37C with the Rosewill CPU cooler with no load. What do you guys think, is that a pretty good temp with just installing the CPU cooler that move like 46CFM with Artic Sliver 5? I also have two 120mm fans, one removing hot air out the back and one bringing in cool air on the side. I also switched the CPU cooler to blow towards the back of the case instead of the front, thats what I wanted to do from the start but wasn't sure which way it blew till I hooked it up. I also added the optional very small fan that installs on the board cooler, but I put it so it is blowing fresh air from the bottom front. Before I changed the Cpu cooler blowing to the back and put the smaller one in the bottom front blowing on my harddrive The CPU was at 44-45C and the mother board was at 38-39C. I am going to put a 120mm in the front bottom as soon as I can, cuz I believe I can drop the temp even more and keep my harddrive nice and cool.
January 9, 2008 1:07:11 PM

1@ NZXT Alpha Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with open Window $54.99
1@ Rosewill RX750-D-B ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91 750W power supply $134.99
1@ ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe wireless edition AM2 Nvidia nforce 590 SLI mcp atx amd motherboard $169.99
1@ AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+ Windsor 3.2 GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-core Processor $179.99
1@ arctic silver 5 therma compound 5.99
1@ Rosewill RCX-Z940-SL92 mm 2 ball CPU cooler $29.99 -10.00==$19.99
2@ OCZ Gold 2GB STicks 240 pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800(PC2 6400) $93.00 can go up to 8GB with Mboard.
1@ Seagate Sata/300 Barracuda 3.5" 500GB 16Mb Cache 3Gbs 7200Rpm $120.00
1@ Samsung SH-S203 DVD+R/-R 20x Sata retail ver. with lightsribe $80.00
1@ DYnex internal all in one card reader DX- CRD12 Vista Comp. $16.99
1 soon to be 2@ XFX Geforce8600GT SLI ready 512MB DDR2 540MHz Core Vista certified $118.00
Windows Vista 64 home premium $111.00

Grand total for my first build, $1100.00 with shiping GOOD Or BAD??
January 9, 2008 2:23:12 PM

I still disagree with doing SLI with the 2 8600GT's. If you really want SLI, I would suggest at least 2x 8800GTS. With a mid range GPU setup, you will not see the performance increase. The new G92 8800GTS would be a sweet SLI setup.
January 10, 2008 3:00:03 AM

Well if Jonnyguru says it's a decent PSU then it might not be that bad, but as far as it being something that I'd pick out for myself or recommend to anyone else... Well I'll pass on that.

All looks well except for the SLI setup, that's the weakest link on your PC, and good lord is it weak, to be honest those two cards have no business being paired with a processor like that, poor 6400+ is screaming: "Get me a HD3870! Get me a 8800GT! Get me something else!"

Now seriously, I really think you should either return or sell those cards and find a decent single graphics card that can be put on par with that system of yours (HD3870, 8800GT, 8800GTS) so it doesn't hinder performance and actually reflect how powerful that system can be. Other than that it looks pretty good, I wouldn't have gotten a card reader, but then again I don't have any need for one, but you may do.
January 10, 2008 1:13:51 PM

I still disagree with doing SLI with the 2 8600GT's. If you really want SLI, I would suggest at least 2x 8800GTS. With a mid range GPU setup, you will not see the performance increase. The new G92 8800GTS would be a sweet SLI setup.

Well all i can say to that is I might still be able to return the 8600GT to newegg, been almost 30 days since I bought it, and you are right it is a mid-high card, It is the lowest ranked hardware on my vista rating, 5.0 and 5.3, every thing else is ranked at 5.6 and above. Not sure about the SLI either, seems like it might not be worth it if it does not double the power from the cards. Anyone have a vista rating with two of these cards set up in SLI?? I will start looking to upgrade this, but I have to say that this system still kicks ASS right now as is with only one card! Thanks for the input.
January 10, 2008 1:26:55 PM

Thanks for checking out Jonnys review of my PSU Emp, and yes I understand if you wouldn't choose or recommend it, but I have to say it is a very nice pSU, And for the money it can't be beat, IMHO if it just holds up and stay stable, which i believe it will.

And yes you are right about the card I have but man I will check into returning it, not sure on neweggs policy for return times. All in All though this is my first build ever and I will gets some pic's of this asap so you guys can check it out/ I was amazed at how well wire's where hid and neatly able to tuck away. It came together very nice and looks awsome. As for the Digital card read, I think I will be returning it, it says Vista comp on the box but it is trying to tell me that I don't have it plug into a usb on the mother board when I install the driver. I have had one on my Emachine and never have used it in Two and a half years so... Vista 64 was a bitch to install, I see what you mean about ASUS help line... no help, I had to figure it out for myself, out of six drivers on there disc that came with the motherboard one was needed to load Vista 64 and I had to play the guessing game on which one. Mircosoft help line.... ROTFLMAO enough said. I got the blue screen of death when I tried to put my extra 2gb of ram in but loaded up the patch 92977 and all was good. I have been downloading 2 or three things at a time, burning a DVD and this processor doesn't even get over 60% with both cores. Very nice I am Happy!!!
January 10, 2008 1:35:26 PM

All in all I have around $1100 dollars into this project, If bought this set up retail what do you guys think I would have to give for it brandnew and ready to go??? Anyone??? THanks guys!
January 10, 2008 1:49:59 PM

medjohnson77 said:
First off, I am a new builder and ... would really appericate any info, advice, that you have with your builds or experience regarding building a new system.

Take your time, read your MB manual and listen to guys like Emp, Aevm and Crashman, they are all pros.
Good Luck :) 
January 10, 2008 2:25:56 PM

Bottom line, you would have had a better system had you asked the question BEFORE you purchased, particularly with regard to PSU and video card. And while that particular model of PSU may be OK, you really could have gotten much better units for the money. Keep i mind that the manufacturer of a PSU is not a fail-safe indicator of quality. It might be a better unit than from some other manufacturers, because I would expect the manufacturing to still be quality, but often the components are not the same and lower quality parts are used - as specified by the brand - which is one reason the unit sells at a lower price.
January 10, 2008 3:19:22 PM

Well if you change your graphics card to something decent (8800GT maybe), then you might be hovering around the equivalent of a $1400 system without a screen I think. You could've saved maybe $100 more with slightly lesser parts on some areas (CPU and MB), but not really worth worrying about that.

Also I wouldn't use Vista index as an indicator, it reflects almost nothing as far as performance goes. Try checking out online benchmarks on places like firingsquad, anandtech, tomshardware, etc... to get an idea of how much better the 8800/HD3800 series are over the 8600 (You will be VERY surprised... believe me).
January 10, 2008 7:10:34 PM

Thanks emp, I will check out the bench mark at the sites you gave me. I was going to go with the non wireless version of the ASUS I went with but at the last min. I changed my mind and got the wireless. About $50 more expensive but the non wireless did not have the full duel PCI express slot at full x16, One is x16 and the other is x8. Knowing what I know now about CPU's I might have gone with the duel 5000+ black edition because from what I have read you can over clock the you know what out of it. I think it was about $70 dollars cheaper. I will get one of the 8800 cards not sure which yet, but I will. Money is kinda tight right now and its not a big deal about the 8600 at this time.

As far as Rockyjohns comment, I went with the 8600gt because of my T6216 Emachines, at the time, I had enough to get the 8800 series but did not feel my emachines was up to running it/ Hence came the new build. At the time when I ordered the parts for this build, I didn't know about this site, and only learned of it through all my research on building a new system. Yes this is my first build so I am trying to get good advice and apperciate the advice I get, I did choose to buy this stuff prior to posting for a couple of reason's. One was to try to stop cofussion by Die hard intel and ADM fans from clouding my choice. I spent a week none stop reading everything I could about both, Looked at every thing I could on a large amount on Motherboards, not just ASUS, and looked at everything I could about PSU's. I am surprised my girl friend is still with me, LOL. All I wanted was a fast, and dependable computer that can be added to for the next couple of years and not be to far behind the game. I think that for my first build I did decent on doing that. I also think that if Jonnyguru would of found cheaply made parts they would not of gave it their stamp of approval and would of included that in the review of the RX750 and the RX850 like they did mention in the non RX smaller 500 watt model they tested, even though it tested good for output, something was said about the caps or the transitors being ****.
January 10, 2008 8:48:28 PM

I would return that rosewill model and check out the antec models for sure as far as the psu is concerned.Your video card on the other hand,if you are not a serious gamer the 8600 gt will be fine.
January 11, 2008 5:30:23 AM

Well thanks for the advice inspecter, but no real point in returning it, It is a great PSU... Check out the reviews on Jonnyguru for your self. I might be considered a serious gamer but for now it will have to do.
January 12, 2008 6:06:34 AM

Hey guys, my CPU is running at 33C to 34C at full load, well not full mode but playing warhammer40,000K and 36 to 37C on the motherboard. Wow does this seem funny to anyone?? I thought the CPU was going to run hotter then the motherboard. The only thing that I can think of is that the case fan on the side is blowing in fresh air and cooling the CPU very well, the Rosewill CPU fan is great and pushing air to the 120mm pushing out hot air through the back along with the RX750 pushing out hot air at the top. I put another fan right up front to blow fresh air onto the harddrive and pushing it towards the back. I was thinking maybe the 120mm on the side is blowing the warmer air on the MB. Or is this Rosewill CPU cooler that good?? Anyone.
January 13, 2008 4:04:09 PM

Hey guys last night I was playing Warhammer 40,000K dark crusade for about 6 hours and ran into my first problem, right in the middle of the game my screen did some wierd stuff and kicked me out to windows. Windows came up an error on the grafix card, and I think my Reaper gaming mouse, vista then gave me the option to try and fix the problem by looking for drivers. No fix could be found and I loaded my game back up and have not had a problem yet. Any thoughts on this. All my settings are turned up to high and It does not seem to run slow and grafix look good. I will be upgrading to a 8800GTX asap but any thoughts in the mean time???
January 21, 2008 10:19:38 PM

Just wanted to give an update:

I put in two new fans, both are 120mm with blue lights, one replaced the black 120 in the back to get the hot air out, and one 120mm to blow in fresh air from the bottom front, onto the hard drive, and I put he small ASUS fan on the hard drive rack helping to push air away from the HD and up to the cpu and back of the case. Cpu now Idles at 29-30C and mB is at 32-34C I took back the Card reader kept saying that i didn't have it plugged into the UsB on my board, I think it wasn't Vista ready.

I will be taking pics tonight and posting them for everyone to see, I am very happy with this build so far, and wanted to thank everyone for all there advice they gave. Emp, I downloaded benchmark and ran the free version and came up with a 3925, which was dissapointing with the money I have into this so far, So first $300 I get to spare I will be getting the 8800, just not sure which one yet. I am also going to put the 8600Gt in my old Emachines so it will not go to waste. I will also be upgrading to a raid 0 or a raid 0+1 as soon as I can afford the Hardrives, but for now this system is working very well. Working on the pics right now, Thanks for all your help guys!
January 23, 2008 4:33:33 AM

Go to update check out my new build pics! to see the finished product

Thanks for everyones input
January 23, 2008 4:45:04 AM

emp said:
Well I have to be honest and I'll give the bad news first, Rosewill power supplies are known to make horrible units, so if you can I'd get that changed to an Antec (NeoHE or Earthwatts), Corsair (VX, HX, or TX), Seasonic (S12 or M12), or PC Power & Cooling Silencer units, these are top notch units.

Other than that, the only problem I see is SLI 8600GT, you see it is a rule of thumb never to SLI midrange cards, because the performance gain is extremely low. If you were to return the cards and get an HD3850 at the very least you would see unbelievable gains over any midrange SLI/Crossfire setup.

Onto the good news, Vista 64 should work just fine... The X2 6400, even though it wouldn't be my first choice, is definitely a good CPU and you can't go wrong. I would've picked Crucial Ballistix Ram, but the OCZ one works just fine.

The two big flaws on your build are the bad PSU and slow-performing midrange SLI setup, I do not have any first hand experience with it because to be honest, after almost witnessing a fiasco with a cheap PSU I vowed never to buy anything other than a top quality unit for my own system, and before I buy graphics cards I do a lot of planning (Did this for myself, my brother, and a friend's graphics cards throughout 2007). Overall not bad.. have fun with your build, but on the first chance you get I suggest you correct the two mistakes I pointed out.

QFT couldnt have said it any better

January 23, 2008 6:33:43 AM

Thanks for the input, but this power source is very good. To look at something on its face and assume it's quality or lack of, based soley on its name, is assuming too much, and it is the mother of all F__ck up's, and when you assume you make a a__ out of yourself! Check the Jonnyguru review of this PSU and it Tell's all. It got their stamp of approval. I am not trying to offend you, but I find it to be very dissapointing when people who have been around, know what there talking about when it comes to advice but then are so closed minded that they can't allow themselve's to see a gem in the pile of crap. One guy that posted on Jonnyguru got very upset with the guy that does their test's on PSU's, and made the statement that he didn't care how it tested, and that they shouldn't test Rosewill PSU's cause they are nothing but CRAP! Rosewill does have a rep for subin out there PSU's to several builder's and yes they have a very shaddy name because of this fact. But when they build a good PSU, What Is everyone supposed to just overlook it and act like it's a crap unit?? That seems to be very closed minded to me, and not a good mind set for advancement, JMHO.
January 23, 2008 7:39:05 AM

medjohnson77 said:
Thanks for the input, but this power source is very good. To look at something on its face and assume it's quality or lack of, based soley on its name, is assuming too much, and it is the mother of all F__ck up's, and when you assume you make a a__ out of yourself! Check the Jonnyguru review of this PSU and it Tell's all. It got their stamp of approval. I am not trying to offend you, but I find it to be very dissapointing when people who have been around, know what there talking about when it comes to advice but then are so closed minded that they can't allow themselve's to see a gem in the pile of crap. One guy that posted on Jonnyguru got very upset with the guy that does their test's on PSU's, and made the statement that he didn't care how it tested, and that they shouldn't test Rosewill PSU's cause they are nothing but CRAP! Rosewill does have a rep for subin out there PSU's to several builder's and yes they have a very shaddy name because of this fact. But when they build a good PSU, What Is everyone supposed to just overlook it and act like it's a crap unit?? That seems to be very closed minded to me, and not a good mind set for advancement, JMHO.

You seem to know what you're looking for and don't need an advice. I just don't know why you're asking people for an advice when you have a clear opinion about the hardware you're getting. Although I tend to agree with everyone else on the PSU.
January 23, 2008 12:33:06 PM

Hello Yabyab,

Its not that I don't need advice, or am turning my noise up at anybodys advice, but like i think I made pretty clear, I find it funny that so many here that can give good advice will just knock or rag on a Rosewill, just because it is a Rosewill. Thats all there is to it. Thanks for your .02Cents yabyab.
January 23, 2008 12:37:40 PM

emp said:
Well if Jonnyguru says it's a decent PSU then it might not be that bad, but as far as it being something that I'd pick out for myself or recommend to anyone else... Well I'll pass on that.

All looks well except for the SLI setup, that's the weakest link on your PC, and good lord is it weak, to be honest those two cards have no business being paired with a processor like that, poor 6400+ is screaming: "Get me a HD3870! Get me a 8800GT! Get me something else!"

Now seriously, I really think you should either return or sell those cards and find a decent single graphics card that can be put on par with that system of yours (HD3870, 8800GT, 8800GTS) so it doesn't hinder performance and actually reflect how powerful that system can be. Other than that it looks pretty good, I wouldn't have gotten a card reader, but then again I don't have any need for one, but you may do.

BTW atleast emp took the time to check out the reviews and was honest about his feelings towards rosewill, and its fine if he would not recommend it or buy it, but don't knock it or dog it just because it is a Rosewill, thats my point. If it would of tested bad then sure tell me I have made a bad choice in PSU's.
!