Gigabyte Ds4 X38 on board lan problems

lovesbeer

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Heya guys, only my second time here :), have a problem and could use some help before i take my system apart and send my mobo back to newegg. Specs: Gigabyte Ds4 X38 mobo, Intel 8400 3.0g, 650 BFG PW, Transcend 1200Mhz, 250WDHDD, so, i got all this put together, only problem i have is, i reformated xp, then install all the mobo drives on the disc, flashed to Bios F2, thing is, i can not get on the internet, its sending information but not recieving, i have reset the modem and all that crap, thinking somethings wrong with the board, anyone else have this problem? Thx u

lovesbeer

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
I have done that and more, thx u for the reply, i have put in a pci network card, but no go, i just gonna send it back to newegg for another, i think the board is bad.

scuzzie

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Hi first have you sent the board back? If not have you checked all the internet protcol settings TC/IP all that stuff. If something is missing here it can cause this problem in LAN. If yes and it still does not work send it back. Ow does your board have 2 LAN ports? I'm sure you would have tried both!

Good luck sound like you have done every thing correct.

lovesbeer

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Heya Scuzzie, thxs for the reply, havent checked posts, so, srry for the late reply, it only had one port, i did do all the the stuff u said plus other, my dad was looking at it too and he couldnt figure it out and he knows more than i do about internet hook ups, i had put in a pci network card and still a no go, for some reason tho, in network connections, it was showing two differant connects instead of one, we had disabled one, then the other but nothing, at first it was sending info and just not receiving, then it did nothing at all, so i just sent it back and should be getting another on 2/20/08, hope no problems with this one.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Are both the onboard and LAN card recognized in Device Manager, e.g., no red or yellow signs? If they are, check the LAN BIOS settings. Also turn off your filewire. Make sure the WorkGroup name is the same as on the other computers. Try connecting the machine directly to the modem and see if you get an internet connection

lovesbeer

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
They are recognized, but in the bottom right corner in the tray, the network connection had a yellow ! over the sign, not sure what filewire is. I did connect directly to the modem and no go, thx u for the reply, my board comes wensday, so see what happens, will post if i have problems, thx u for the help. Oh, and in the bios, it was picking up a signal, but it was very weak, the connection we have is the fastest.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
It doesnt sound like a hardware problem to me. The board isnt going to stop a PCI nic from working as intended unless the PCI port or bus is bad, and either way the card it'self wouldnt show up at all then.

First, did you do a repair or upgrade when you installed the new hardware? Both of those royaly screw up the network protocols.

Second, check your ip settings and make sure they match what they should be.
For instance, use another pc on the network to get it's ip config info (start>run>cmd>ipconfig) Print that info, and compare it to the broken pc. The first set of numbers should be different and the other 2 should be the same.

If you want my honest opinion, I think you should try to reinstal windows completely before you have any decisions. (And you might want to be sure about a hardware malfunction, because if you send it back and they test it to be ok, you could end up either paying shipping again, or a 25% restocking fee)

lovesbeer

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Thx u for the reply, yup, had to pay $10.00 shipping, no worries tho, at least i know it ant the board, i did in fact reformat when i put the pc together to get rid of any old drivers from the old board that might have caused a problem, so windows was reinstalled at first boot, after that mobo drivers, for the most part i think your right, it has to be an internet problem, i had done the ipconfig, reset winsock and other, thats why i thought it might be the board, ill find out tomarrow night when i rebuild and it does it again, then atleast i will know for sure it is in fact a network thing, if anything, if it is network, thats something i need to learn to setup up anyway, at least the tech part. Thx u for the reply.