Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What is the best PLASMA television?

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 1:02:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

What is the best PLASMA television???

What plasma sets has the most desirable lines-of-resolution and picture
quality?

Which plasma historically has the less problems?

More about : plasma television

Anonymous
June 8, 2005 2:06:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Harry Dugan wrote:
> What is the best PLASMA television???
>
> What plasma sets has the most desirable lines-of-resolution and picture
> quality?
>
> Which plasma historically has the less problems?

The general consensus at the plasma/LCD flat panel forum at
avsforum.com is Panasonic makes the best "glass". Panasonic has the
lowest black levels, closest to CRT, of all the plasma makers which
leads to having the best true contrast ratios. Be skeptical of stated
contrast ratios as the makers usually provide the ratio between the
absolute maximum output of the screen and the minimum black level, but
you will never get that with a properly adjusted set.

The minimum black level matters as that will directly affect how much
detail you can see in dark scenes, especially in movies. LG has been
making major strides in the black levels of their plasmas, so the gap
has narrowed between them and Panny.

There is little difference in "lines-of-resolution" between different
plasma brands. The 42" ED models are all 852x480, the 42" HD models are
all either 1024x768 or 1024x1024 interlaced ALiS panels, the 50" HD
models are mostly 1366x768 except Pioneer at 1280x768.

Don't get too hung up on resolution when choosing a HD TV. It is
important, but contrast ratio, number of bits for color range, color
accuracy, minimum black level, the quality of the scalar electronics and
true response time for LCDs are all important as well.

That all having been said, the general consensus appears to be that
the best single plasma TV is the 50" Fujitsu P50XHA40US which uses
Panasonic glass combined with their AVMII processor. They are expensive
and only sold through high end AV specialty stores, so they can be hard
to find. I have never seen one as there no dealers near me, so this is
by reputation only.

Alan F
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 4:14:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Alan, have you heard anything about a 1920x1080 Plasma glass in the
pipeline.
I'll probably have my house done by the end of the year.

Alan Figgatt wrote:

> Harry Dugan wrote:
>
>> What is the best PLASMA television???
>>
>> What plasma sets has the most desirable lines-of-resolution and picture
>> quality?
>>
>> Which plasma historically has the less problems?
>
>
> The general consensus at the plasma/LCD flat panel forum at
> avsforum.com is Panasonic makes the best "glass". Panasonic has the
> lowest black levels, closest to CRT, of all the plasma makers which
> leads to having the best true contrast ratios. Be skeptical of stated
> contrast ratios as the makers usually provide the ratio between the
> absolute maximum output of the screen and the minimum black level, but
> you will never get that with a properly adjusted set.
>
> The minimum black level matters as that will directly affect how much
> detail you can see in dark scenes, especially in movies. LG has been
> making major strides in the black levels of their plasmas, so the gap
> has narrowed between them and Panny.
>
> There is little difference in "lines-of-resolution" between different
> plasma brands. The 42" ED models are all 852x480, the 42" HD models
> are all either 1024x768 or 1024x1024 interlaced ALiS panels, the 50"
> HD models are mostly 1366x768 except Pioneer at 1280x768.
>
> Don't get too hung up on resolution when choosing a HD TV. It is
> important, but contrast ratio, number of bits for color range, color
> accuracy, minimum black level, the quality of the scalar electronics
> and true response time for LCDs are all important as well.
>
> That all having been said, the general consensus appears to be that
> the best single plasma TV is the 50" Fujitsu P50XHA40US which uses
> Panasonic glass combined with their AVMII processor. They are
> expensive and only sold through high end AV specialty stores, so they
> can be hard to find. I have never seen one as there no dealers near
> me, so this is by reputation only.
>
> Alan F
>

--
Ric Seyler
Related resources
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 4:48:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

RicSeyler wrote:
> Alan, have you heard anything about a 1920x1080 Plasma glass in the
> pipeline.
> I'll probably have my house done by the end of the year.

LG has been advertising their 71" 1920x1080 plasma in the AV magazines
since last fall, but I don't know if it has actually shipped in the US
in any quantity. Samsung has displayed a 80" 1920x1080 plasma at trade
shows that they have claimed will be a regular product, but AFAIK, it
has been vaporware beyond a few in Korea. However, IIRC, the list price
for the 71" LG is $40,000, so either of these would be hideously expensive.

The best bet for an "affordable" large 1920x1080 plasma perhaps in the
near future would be the Panasonic 65" plasma. The current commercial
7UY version is 1366x768 pixels, but can be had for less than $10K. It is
likely that Panny will eventually release a 1080p version of the 65",
but whether that will happen this fall when the 8UYs come out or 2006 or
even later is not known at this point. Whenever we do get 1080p plasmas,
it is very likely that they will be premium priced for the first model
year or so. I would not hold my breath for a low priced 1080p 50" plasma
anytime in the next several years if that is what you are looking for.

BTW, Sharp put out a recent press release that they will start
shipping a 65" 1080p LCD TV in August for around $16K list with a
production run of 500/month, but it is not clear when they will show up
in the US.

Alan F
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 2:40:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Alan Figgatt wrote:

> RicSeyler wrote:
>
>> Alan, have you heard anything about a 1920x1080 Plasma glass in the
>> pipeline.
>> I'll probably have my house done by the end of the year.
>
>
> LG has been advertising their 71" 1920x1080 plasma in the AV
> magazines since last fall, but I don't know if it has actually shipped
> in the US in any quantity. Samsung has displayed a 80" 1920x1080
> plasma at trade shows that they have claimed will be a regular
> product, but AFAIK, it has been vaporware beyond a few in Korea.
> However, IIRC, the list price for the 71" LG is $40,000, so either of
> these would be hideously expensive.
>
> The best bet for an "affordable" large 1920x1080 plasma perhaps in
> the near future would be the Panasonic 65" plasma. The current
> commercial 7UY version is 1366x768 pixels, but can be had for less
> than $10K. It is likely that Panny will eventually release a 1080p
> version of the 65", but whether that will happen this fall when the
> 8UYs come out or 2006 or even later is not known at this point.
> Whenever we do get 1080p plasmas, it is very likely that they will be
> premium priced for the first model year or so. I would not hold my
> breath for a low priced 1080p 50" plasma anytime in the next several
> years if that is what you are looking for.
>
> BTW, Sharp put out a recent press release that they will start
> shipping a 65" 1080p LCD TV in August for around $16K list with a
> production run of 500/month, but it is not clear when they will show
> up in the US.
>
> Alan F

Alan thanks for the info, man! I'm thinking the time table for me will
probably be around November to February
before starting to assemble the new system and will try to come in
around 7 to 9 grand for the display. I have
$16,000 of Ivan insurance money set aside for the system. And wanting to
go with the Arcam AVR 300, DiVo
HD+ scaler, B&W 600 series 5.1 setup, whatever HD-DVD player comes
through, a decent power conditioner,
a good remote and around a 60" plasma with the best blacks and most
accurate gamma that ends up being out at the time.

I'm not Completely hung up on the resolution, do you agree on this point?

I'm really looking forward to the reviews on the 8UY, because I've read
very good things about the 7UYs.

There is another storm in the Gulf, but USAA will be safe from me, I
haven't replaced anything yet, so I have
nothing to lose this season yet. LOLOLOL It's tuff as hell finding
property to build or decent homes in this area
this long after Ivan and I'm taking my time.

Ric Seyler
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 3:58:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

RicSeyler wrote:
>
> Alan thanks for the info, man! I'm thinking the time table for me will
> probably be around November to February
> before starting to assemble the new system and will try to come in
> around 7 to 9 grand for the display. I have
> $16,000 of Ivan insurance money set aside for the system. And wanting to
> go with the Arcam AVR 300, DiVo
> HD+ scaler, B&W 600 series 5.1 setup, whatever HD-DVD player comes
> through, a decent power conditioner,
> a good remote and around a 60" plasma with the best blacks and most
> accurate gamma that ends up being out at the time.
> I'm not Completely hung up on the resolution, do you agree on this point?

For a 42" or 50" display I would agree. The 65" Panasonic commercial
version has gotten high marks from the serious AV buffs who have tested
it. But, speaking for myself, if I got a 60 to 65" plasma and built a
serious home theater setup around it, I would much rather have a true
1920x1080 display so several years from now I would not be kicking
myself for not having a true 1080p display at that size.

Check out the pixel sixes from the Panasonic specs:
1366x768 65" = 1.05 mm square
1366x768 50" = 0.81 mm sq
852x480 42" ED = 1.08 mm sq
852x480 37" ED = 0.96 mm sq.

So the pixel sizes for the 65" are between the 37" and 42" ED models.
If you sit within 8 feet of the 65", you may see the screen door effect.
Check the math on what the 65" pixel size would be at 1920x1080: 0.75
mm. That is not much smaller than the 50" HD. I think if they can modify
the electronics to handle the power draw of all those extra cells and
the scaler for 1080p, you may see a 1080p 65" Panny plasma soon. Whether
you will see it this year or not or whether it will fit within your
insurance, I don't know. I know I am not planning to get a 65" anytime
soon - that is a damn big plasma!

Alan F


> I'm really looking forward to the reviews on the 8UY, because I've read
> very good things about the 7UYs.
>
> There is another storm in the Gulf, but USAA will be safe from me, I
> haven't replaced anything yet, so I have
> nothing to lose this season yet. LOLOLOL It's tuff as hell finding
> property to build or decent homes in this area
> this long after Ivan and I'm taking my time.
>
> Ric Seyler
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 5:08:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Thanks Alan!
Printed this out for future reference :-)

Alan Figgatt wrote:

>
> For a 42" or 50" display I would agree. The 65" Panasonic commercial
> version has gotten high marks from the serious AV buffs who have
> tested it. But, speaking for myself, if I got a 60 to 65" plasma and
> built a serious home theater setup around it, I would much rather have
> a true 1920x1080 display so several years from now I would not be
> kicking myself for not having a true 1080p display at that size.

That's also what I'm trying to avoid, kicking myself later :-)

>
>
> Check out the pixel sixes from the Panasonic specs:
> 1366x768 65" = 1.05 mm square
> 1366x768 50" = 0.81 mm sq
> 852x480 42" ED = 1.08 mm sq
> 852x480 37" ED = 0.96 mm sq.
>
> So the pixel sizes for the 65" are between the 37" and 42" ED models.
> If you sit within 8 feet of the 65", you may see the screen door
> effect. Check the math on what the 65" pixel size would be at
> 1920x1080: 0.75 mm. That is not much smaller than the 50" HD. I think
> if they can modify the electronics to handle the power draw of all
> those extra cells and the scaler for 1080p, you may see a 1080p 65"
> Panny plasma soon. Whether you will see it this year or not or whether
> it will fit within your insurance, I don't know. I know I am not
> planning to get a 65" anytime soon - that is a damn big plasma!
>
> Alan F
>
>
>
--
Ric Seyler
!