Do I lose bandwidth by splitting the connection?

irishdude

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
Just figured out that my TV cable line, that comes from the house to my room, also works as my internet line. I have one cable coming in, then I use a splitter and they go to my TV and, later today, Computer. So do I lose any bandwidth by doing this or will I be fine? Like since I have TV and Internet running through this one wire, will my internet go slower or anything?

Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I know nothing about this stuff.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
No.

The cable internet you use is on another channel of the cable that has it's own isolated bandwidth.

The only thing you'll have to worry about is if you have too many cable devices in the house. Then you'll need to get a booster to amplify your cable signal strength.... so if you start to notice decreased performance or your modem constantly losing signal, then you have something to worry about and you'll need to contact your cable company to get one.

Hope this clears things up.

irishdude

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
Yeah that really does, thanks. And I only have about 2 other TVs in the house other than the one in my room, and no other internet connections except 1 wireless one that would come off the wireless router. So it sounds like I'm all set. Thanks!