Cannot start firewall service files deleted by virus

baab32

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
Hello,recently my brother browsed his manga webside like every week but a virus entered my pc and blocked my firewall\ics service i tried everything i found online from starting my firewall service in services.smc to using
the netsh commands and rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection Ndi-Steelhead 132 %windir%\inf\netrass.inf command but it did not change anything. i fully scanned 3 times each with avira,spybot,malawarebyte and all viruses were deleted but i still have this problem. do someone have another idea on what to do that could repair my problem whitout reinstalling windows(i dont have my windows backup disc)
ps: english is not my first language so i apologize if my talking sounds weird
Thanks in advance for your help!

A. Have you tried to run system restore, setting the drive back to a time before the computer became corrupted? Some of the new viruses prevent system restore from running, but it''s worth a try. Restore does not erase your personal files and is reversible.
click start
click all programs
click accessories
click system tools
click system restore
check the box that says restore my computer to an earlier time, click next
select a bold date on the calender, a date before the problem started, click next
follow through with the restore directions
restart the computer after it finishes
if the system restore does not work, select an even earlier bold date on the calender and repeat the procedure
try this with at least four earlier dates before giving up and trying something else

B. You may recognize that the security system you previously installed did not do a very good job, you can use a more advanced security system to try to neutralize the virus infection. A great deal of the times, this method works.
Obtain a disk from the office supply store or Amazon, buy Panda Internet Security 2010 or Norton 360
Make sure your internet is connected
Put the disk in the drive and start the computer
The disk will connect, update, scan, neutralize the virus without starting windows, but it does not work with all viruses. A great deal of times it does work.
If the system is successfully restored, delete your current security and install and run the more advanced security from now on. Only use one security solution, not multiple systems.

baab32

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
Thanks a lot! i will try that right now.

EDIT: Everytime i try to restore my system everything goes fine until the meter is at 50% then it just stops and reboots my computer, then when its rebooted it tells me: System restore did not restore your pc to (date) could the virus deleted my system restore files?

baab32

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
well i dont have acces to internet even in safe mode with networking because the firewall\ics service seems deleted but i can download it using my laptop and transfer it with an usb key! i will try system restore in safe mode and if that doesnt work i'l try combofix! thank you

baab32

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
The system restore did the same thing:system was not restored to (date) and there was no error code or anyting. i read that combofix was a manual virus remover is that true? i dont think the virus is still present in my computer because i fully scanned 3 times and the first time all viruses were removed. i think my problem is that it deleted some files important to starting services like firewall or apple mobile device for my iphone. most of my services wont start and gives me errors like: files needed could not be found, or: cannot start service.

i will try scanning with combofix anyway and will come back after! thanks for your help!

baab32

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
The thing is that i have 3 years of programs,game mods and stuff instaled on my pc and i dont want to lose it! i started putting my pictures,music etc on an external hard drive but there's some stuff i cant save so if i can find a solution that would prevent me from having to reinstall that would be great...and i dont have any windows backup disc so id have to buy a new one.

aford10: i scanned using combofix but it did'nt do nothing, should i post the log here? it's quite big

baab32

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
i dont have any xp disc that's the problem and i dont have my backup disc because the guy buit my pc did not offer it to me. So do you know that program xp repair pro?

I've never used that software. But from what I see, it's nothing more than a system optimizer. It offers registry scans and system file cleanup. Those can all be achieved with free software, such as ccleaner.

What you need, is a XP disc, so you can do a windows install repair. If you know someone else who has an XP disc, you can borrow their disc to do the repair.

Have you tried running the command sfc /scannow at Command Prompt to see if the System File Checker can restore missing or broken Windows files? It's normal to expect it to ask for an XP CD but in the case of Service support files, they should be in i386 or other hidden folders so you might get away with it.

baab32

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010

No! i shall try that right now and i'll come back after.

baab32

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
i did the scan and it seems like i have a lot of stuff missing but it still ask's me for the disc....is there a way to find what version of the disc i need? i know i have xp professional but i dont remember if it was sp1,2 or any other one...

baab32

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
it seems like i have home edition not pro. i downloaded 3 different version of windows xp disc( home sp1,home sp2,pro sp2) none worked so i might as well format....one last question: do you think if i install sp3 it could repair my prolem? i beleive i still have sp2...or could i just reinstall it?