How do I delete all driver for the old mobo?

Blonde_Belle

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
I upgraded my machine to the new mobo, CPU, and RAM, but I kept the old system and HDD. I need some help wiping out drivers for the old hardware, particularly, mobo. The old mobo was ABIT KT7, the new one is Intel DG33TL. I also have remnants of ATI video card and services (multimedia center) that I can't seem to kill after multiple attempts. Any help cleaning the registry will appreciated. Thanks!

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Backup and do a clean re-install man, you wont ever get rid of everything and its more trouble than its worth. You could also do an install over the top of the original, this will keep your files and you can just copy them over.

Blonde_Belle

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
I tried to reinstall over the original, but it would not. Yes, tried booting from the Windows CD, too - it boots into the HDD anyway, although the CD is spinning...

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
You should be able to change boot order to solve that problem...

Also, I saw someone post here at THG a good walkthrough on how to delete the old drivers and install the new ones when swapping parts out. I think it was MOBO but not too sure. Try searching for it.

vtr99

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
I've used 4 different motherboards since my last clean install. There is no reason to clear old drivers! Windows itself has hundreds of different drivers. Simply install the new drivers and everything should run fine. You can use Driver Cleaner to get rid of old ATI drivers. This is only important if you are having trouble with a new ATI driver install. If you change to Nvidia, you can manually delete all the ATI stuff. For registry cleaning, CCleaner works really well, and is free.

Blonde_Belle

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
vtr, that's excatly what I have done. Unfortunately, two week later I started having problems, and not just minor problems. I am not 100% sure they are from the old hardware drivers, but there is not many types of applications that can crash an otherwise finely working computer into a black sceen every hour. So, after ruling out a bunch of other things, old mobo utilities are high on my suspect list.

Thanks for the CCleaner tip!

pogsnet

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
iobit.com - try the advance windows care (freeware) may help fix registry and more.

your driver problem let it be there if it runs nice.

tlmck

Distinguished

You are pressing a key when prompted by the CD correct? If you don't, it wiill boot from the HDD.

Blonde_Belle

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008

Yes... been there like 20 times when I upgraded. The only way to get the Windows setup blue screen with this mobo is to physically disconnect the HDD (or maybe to have a clean dirve - have not tired). Whenever you have an HDD with Windows on it, it tries for boot from it. Don't ask me why...

llnyc

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
I have the same boot order problem occasionally. Normally serveral retries with clear CMOS would make it work. I suspect some of the bios have bugs in the boot order part.

If your ati drivers are causing your problems, on ATI website there is a driver clearning exe you can run and clean out all ati video drivers.