F8a BIOS or stick with F6

DeFraginator

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2008
I just this weekend put together a system using the GA-P35-DS3L (rev. 2.0) and an E8400. The BIOS it came with is F6, and everything seems to be working fine. Windows reports it’s running at 3.0 GHz, it seems quite stable on Vista Ultimate, and I can play BioShock with everything turned up at 1920x1200. Is there any conceivable reason why I should flash to the F8a BIOS, which as you all know is a beta BIOS. If I don’t need to do it, I don’t want to do it. What do you think?

DeFraginator

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2008
Ordinarily I agree with you 100%. However, I ask the question because the F8a BIOS is the one that ‘supports’ the Wolfdale chips. But since everything seems to be working with F6, I am inclined to leave well enough alone.

Carlcsw

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
It depends on how you use your system really and to be honest you dont have much to loose with Giga-bytes dual bios.

In my experience the F7 update does fix Sata RAID and AHCI issue for ICHR9 part of the motherboard, it wasn't as smooth and stable in the F6 version. Since F7 my system has ran alot smoother and with less problems. F8a can only get better. I do find it annoying a little that they dont mention what they've changed in each update.

So you can apply for the update and see how it goes, if a problem does arise you need to keep in mind you have dual bios which means if anything goes wrong on boot-up after 3 - 5 straight attempts of booting it doesn't work. It'll then revert to the back-up BIOS which is F6. Or you can take the battery out the motherboard for a few minutes to reset it.

Keep in mind the back-up BIOS cannot be altered, updated or changed in anyway.

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on.