Boxing day's a gimmick!

Akifuddin

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
Right after I get a super price (692$ CAD) on this Q6600 2GB RAM computer: http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10094624&logon=&langid=EN Intel decides they're going to release Penryn in 2 weeks. The computer I ordered hasn't arrived yet so I should be able to cancel the order and receive a refund. The monitor and video card I got are staying though. Question is: Should I wait for Intel's 8xxx series and then buy a computer? Or keep my current system? I can't build a computer so if I decide to wait, I'll have to wait until HP, Dell or something releases a 8xxx based system. I'm keeping the computer for around 3-4 years and it will be used for MAJOR GAMING!!!! Do you think a Q6600 or an 8400 will bottleneck the next next generation of video cards? (After Geforce 9) Also, no overclocking since the BIOS is locked or something on pre-built desktop PCs.

edit: Basically, since penryn quads are delayed, the question is: Quad6600 or Dual-core Penryn? No overclocking unless pre-built companies actually let us and it's used for gaming for the next 3-4 years.

neiljung

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2007
You'll have to wait a little an pay a premium or the new 45nm penryn cores, and even then you better check with Dell that you are getting what you think you are. Just to be sure.

No. The quad cores will not bottleneck you graphics. If anything does, in a ew years, it will probably be the mobo architecture. As we already found out with the 680i.

That seems a great price for that spec....but, you don't get all of the spec. I'd phone them and get exact details of psu, mobo, ram...everything, before I considered the purchase. Then investigate.

All sorts of things are possible. Especially if you intend to upgrade graphics etc. (make sure you call them first and confirm that your upgrades will not void your warranty.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
If you can't build one yourself I would recommend buying one from a system builder such as myself.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130186823373
I can build one to your exact wishes and I offer a 3 year warranty through www.squaretrade.com and 3 years tech support. If I were to build you one I would built it to your needs and the graphics card would be from EVGA so you would have 90 days to stepup to a better graphics card. I would allow you to add a new card in the future. I know for a fact if you open up a HP or Delll or any of the others they will void your warranty.

Another thing to think about is when you buy from a major brand the bios is locked so you can not overclock. I will overclock at no extra charge at your request.

I know for a fact that opening a HP will NEVER void your warranty. They even list how to open/repair and change parts on there website.....

Note sure about Dell but HP used to have stickers on machines saying warranty NOT void if sticker removed just so you knew you could open it....

hpim1555tw7.gif

Also if they did not want you opening it they would not have this
http://h20181.www2.hp.com/plmcontent/NACSC/SML/
the FRU Remove/Replace's have full videos of how to take apart most HP stuff too...

Not trying to flame, just that was clear wrong...

wbirkin

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
in response to the title, the last boxing day was more of a clearance sale than the ones before. This past one were a bunch of, like nukemaster said, bunch of old models whereas the one two years ago, i remember they put the X1950pro at $199 when the other stores are selling it as $299. When the first wave of stand-alone dvd recorders first hit the holidays, my dad got one for $300 from 2001 AV where at best buy or futureshop, they have it for about $450.

So yeah, the one that just passed was a disappointment.

Akifuddin

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
Lol @ "If life were like that..."

So, what do you guys think? Will enough games over the next 3-4 years be quad core-supportive for me to keep the Q6600 system or should I wait and get a dual-core penryn? At the moment, the E6750 and E6850 are better than Q6600, penryn will be even better. The catch is, it's dual-core. Help me decide! :pt1cable:

Also, can someone confirm not being able to overclock on HP's?

HP uses custom Asus boards with NO over clocking options.

The blackbird system(the XPS of HP) does have all features in tact as far as i know....but they cost allot

Once i glitched the bios(on my dad's hp) and had all kinds of OC options, but i was never there again....should have OC'd it while they were there

As for the Quad VS dual. For now the dual cores like the 6750 have a faster clock speed. Thats what makes them faster in single threaded apps. I have a feeling in the next year or 2 games will be more quad core ready, but by them quad cores will be even cheaper(and mainstream)....

It was the same when the dual cores came out....even software(Damn you creative) was unhappy with duals at first....

Akifuddin

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
E8400: 3.00GHz, 6MB cache and 1333MHz FSB
Q6600: 2.40 GHz, 8MB Cache and 1066 MHz

Considering NO OVERCLOCKING WHATSOEVER, which cpu will be able to more effectively play the 2008-2010 gaming titles? I'm darn stuck between these 2, so don't suggest anything else.

if games continue to be single threaded and dual threaded the E8400 will be the best option.

If you do video encoding and other multimedia the Q6600 will be better(but the new SSE instructions on the E8400 will help it close the gap somewhat...)

I did a test with the beta Crysis and ran it with both 1(Single) and 4 cpus and the difference was not much. with 2(Dual) and 4(Quad) is was the same for the most part....so if this indicates anything...well time will tell...i have no quad regrets....

Akifuddin

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
I guess I'll keep the Q6600, I doubt HP will release any E8400 systems soon without price inflation. What can I do to get over the fact that I can't overclock and that I'm stuck at 2.4ghz for life? Some way to make it faster?

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007

If you want to use q6600 grap the Asus Maximus formula motherboard. All you have to do is go into bios and click the cpu stepup to qx6850 and you will have an automatic 3.0 overclock from clicking one button. Any noob could do it. If you dont want to spend that much on a board then read the OC guides and give it a shot. It is very simple if you read the guide a couple of times until you fully understand.

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
when the penryn chips come out, i'm sure HP will take that opportunity to charge alot more than they should. besides the Q6600 is a great chip. Most programs don't even use two cores yet, so having 4 is fairly future-proof.

Akifuddin

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
I didn't build the computer, I ordered it and it still hasn't arrived. It's an HP so I can't overclock! (eww, right?) Are there any "tweaks" that will help? Being stuck at 2.4ghz is really ugly, it seems low. :kaola: