K9A2 Platinum and bios

Wheats

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
Hi Everyone,

Just finished building my first system and I need some help with the bios (I apologize if this is the wrong thread). System is as follows...

K9A2 Platinum
Phenom 9600-2.3
4 gigs Kingston Hyper X-1066
2 samsung 500gb HDD, raid 0
2 HIS IceQ turbo 3870's in crossfire (I think)
Coolermaster 1000w ps
Vista Ultimate 64
yada yada, everything else shouldn't be all that relevant.

I can only get the ram to boot up at 800mhz instead of 1066mhz. In the cell section of the BIOS, how do you adjust the timings? It has been recommended to set the timings to 5-5-5-15 @2.2 volts to achieve 1066. In the BIOS you have the choice of auto, both, dct0, dct1 and then a long list of cas, trcd,trp,trtp,tras,trc,twr,trrd. etc etc. In which sections of the list do you select 5-5-5-15? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I didn't find much help in the manual.

Thanks,
Wheats

donmiguel

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
in the bios where it says auto ram voltage, just press the + key to adjust the voltage. As for the timing, you have to turn the ram settings off auto, then adjust the trcd, trp, and tras timings to appropriate. I dont remmber the setup but the first three seetings you set to 5 then the fifth setting should be 15.this should help as well

http://www.overclock.net/intel-memory/9981-ram-timing-explained.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/200599-30-memory-nooob-aarrggghh-timings#t1249881

make sure to run memtest86+ or some other memroy testing program to ensure system stability. Good luck!

suriel

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
I am having similar issues.I have read the posts and find them quite informative, however it is beyond my experience and still cannot get my ram to run at the optimum speed.

AMD Phenom x4 9950 BE
8 GB (4x2) G Skill DDR2-1066 PC2-8500 CL5-5-5-15 2.0-2.1V
Windows Vista 64 Ultimate
K9A2 Platinum
Xion 1000W power Supply

I have managed to be able to change the voltage and the speed the timing is still lost to me.

I am using the most up to date version of the BIOS,if i change the voltage and speed it will not boot vista.

I am currently trying to speak to MSI tech support about it but I have not found them to be much help,they seem rather dismissive tbh.

I have also contacted G Skill but they where not able to walk me through the process as they are not familiar with my BIOS.

If any of you would kindly take the time to point me in the direction of how to learn to set the ram rrectly In BIOS I would appreciate it a great deal.

Thank you very much.