Sign in with
Your question

Connection issues, please help

Last response: in Wireless Networking
April 1, 2009 8:14:56 PM

So here’s my problem.

Saturday night, WoW (World of Warcraft) crashed and from that moment I wasn’t able to connect to the game anymore, it kept saying ‘’Unable to connect’’;;. However, I was able to play on my other computer just fine. I reinstalled the game twice since then but it didn’t change anything. However, I am now stuck on the realm (server) list page. I have tried everything, powercycled my modem and router, deleted , cache and Interface folders, opened my firewalls ports.

At first, I thought I might have a third-party program on my computer not letting me log on, but I plugged this computer to my router and it worked perfectly fine (does plugging it directly to the router mean that it’s not blocking any ports?). At some point, I thought it might have to do with my wireless card (I was getting some frequent disconnects and still getting some so I thought it could be the problem) but it doesn’t seem like it, I’ve successfully logged on some other games such as Crysis (multiplayer mode) and I also updated the drivers.

What could be the problem? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Laptop: HP DV5T, Intel WiFi 5100 AGN

More about : connection issues

April 2, 2009 1:08:56 PM

if you run an ethernet cable between the problem machine and the router (which sounds fine) does it improve?
April 2, 2009 10:11:09 PM

Yes it works perfecly
Related resources
April 2, 2009 11:05:50 PM

i can see from googling your wifi card that theres some issues with the drivers / problems with weird irq settings / issues with wpa,

have you tried using the drivers windows uses on the initial install? you could try reverting the driver in device manager, is there a driver disk that the machine came with with the original version?

its interesting that other games work perfectly but wow doesnt want to,
i was thinking about going into safe mode and uninstalling the card in there, plus any other ghosts that might appear, the fact that other games work suggests its a problem with the game itself but you've already covered that by deleting the files, cached settings etc,
April 2, 2009 11:58:40 PM

I'll revert the drivers and see what happens. computer didn't come with any disks, i'll try running safe mode and uninstalling the card.

Yeah I also thought it was a problem with the game, but I'm actually able to play from this computer when I plug it to the router.
!