Administrator Group Accounts

I have several user accounts that are Members of the Administrators
group existing in my XPpro; as seen when using Properties under
Computer Management/ Local Users and Groups/ Users.

Do members of the Administrators group have equal authority rights?
Or, is there something unique about the original/default
Administrator?
4 answers Last reply
More about administrator group accounts

    Vince wrote:

    > I have several user accounts that are Members of the Administrators
    > group existing in my XPpro; as seen when using Properties under
    > Computer Management/ Local Users and Groups/ Users.
    >
    > Do members of the Administrators group have equal authority rights?

    Yes.

    > Or, is there something unique about the original/default
    > Administrator?

    No.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    The rights are equal unless you specifically change one using group policy
    editor.

    On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 18:02:16 -0700, Malke <notreally@invalid.com>
    wrote:

    >Vince wrote:
    >

    >> I have several user accounts that are Members of the Administrators
    >> group existing in my XPpro; as seen when using Properties under
    >> Computer Management/ Local Users and Groups/ Users.
    >>
    >> Do members of the Administrators group have equal authority rights?
    >
    >Yes.
    >
    >> Or, is there something unique about the original/default
    >> Administrator?
    >
    >No.

    However, I have noticed that the "default administrator" and the "
    default guest" user accounts have a unique Description when viewing
    Computer Management in Administrative Tools, Local Users and Groups>
    Users; the Description column identifies Administrator and Guest as
    being builtin accounts, for administrating the computer/domain.

    Since every XP computer has those two default user accounts, my guess
    is that hackers can/may exploit this fact.

    >Malke

    It's ONLY special feature is that it can't be deleted. It can be turned off. It can AND SHOULD be renamed (for corporate situations where CASH is at stake). Unlike user accounts you rename Admin (and maybe guest for that matter) in Local Security Policy under Security Options.

    You need two things to logon. A name and password, leaving it as admin makes it easy to guess 1/2 of the required information.
    "Vince" <NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:6nv9e11u5c1a2udserfiiqvs2olbehrm5r@4ax.com...
    > On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 18:02:16 -0700, Malke <notreally@invalid.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Vince wrote:
    >>

    >>> I have several user accounts that are Members of the Administrators
    >>> group existing in my XPpro; as seen when using Properties under
    >>> Computer Management/ Local Users and Groups/ Users.
    >>>
    >>> Do members of the Administrators group have equal authority rights?
    >>
    >>Yes.
    >>
    >>> Or, is there something unique about the original/default
    >>> Administrator?
    >>
    >>No.
    >>
    > However, I have noticed that the "default administrator" and the "
    > default guest" user accounts have a unique Description when viewing
    > Computer Management in Administrative Tools, Local Users and Groups>
    > Users; the Description column identifies Administrator and Guest as
    > being builtin accounts, for administrating the computer/domain.
    >
    > Since every XP computer has those two default user accounts, my guess
    > is that hackers can/may exploit this fact.
    >
    >>Malke

Microsoft User Accounts Windows XP