• NICs
  • Routers
  • Networking
  • Windows Vista
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
January 17, 2008 7:55:52 PM

Okay heres my question. Im getting a new PC with Vista x64. I know that wireless cards are pretty bad with that OS so i was wondering if i could buy a new router and put it next to my new pc and just hard wire connect it. Would the router be able to pick up the wi-fi signal from my router connected to my modem?

More about : networking question

January 17, 2008 7:59:50 PM

You can hardwire your computer to the router and will work the same as wireless. If you already have a router, you should be able to use that. As far as I know, all wireless routers allow LAN connections
January 17, 2008 8:23:12 PM

If I am understanding this correctly, you want the router you but to connect to an existing Wireless router.

I don't think this will work.

You might find some "Bridges" or "Range Extenders" that MAY do this.
You may also want to look at "Power Line" adapters.
This will let you connect to your router over your phone lines.

It will use the standard Ethernet Card in your system.
Related resources
January 17, 2008 8:58:37 PM

okay its like this. On my first floor, i have a computer (old one) and a router connected to the modem. If i ahve my new computer upstairs, can i buy another wireless router upstairs (not directly connected to modem) and connect it to the new pc.
January 17, 2008 9:16:26 PM

Why dont you just get a wireless adapter card for the Vista64...
place wirelss router where the 'old' router used to be?

WHY would you ever do this?

Computer --> router -->wireless router-->modem-->internet

Why not just connect the Vista 64 into the existing modem/router setup?

I don’t believe ‘’home use routers’’ are capable of router to router communication. Of course commercial routers can do this, but you will need a little skill to code it and a little more money as they are substantially more expensive.
January 17, 2008 9:17:35 PM

ORRR

place wireless router / modem driectly connected to vista 64...
and use wireless card on downstairs computer
January 17, 2008 10:58:40 PM

cable doesnt run all the way upstairs and im not technical enough to do that. i always hear that wireless adapters have horrible support for vista 64. but it looks like ill have to find one now.
January 17, 2008 11:05:19 PM

Or get a longer cable?
January 17, 2008 11:43:01 PM

I have to believe by this time Linksys, Netgear, D Link, or Buffalo have the Vista drive issues straightened. While a bit more expensive this is a nice Converter, it has a LAN connection to the computer. Picked it up for when I'm working on a computer and don't want to mess with adding add wireless card or when my grandkids come over and want to go on line with a game controller. Works very well. Did have to call the support for the first set up but they answered the phone and we got the problem solved. Of course if I could read may not have had to call them :bounce: 
January 18, 2008 12:33:18 AM

g-paw,
I am looking for a pair of LAN-Wireless & Wirless-LAN converters.
Reason being I get cable TV through a set-top box connected via LAN to my broadband modem. I now want to move the set-top box away from the modem to a TV in another room.
If you have a link to a good brand please post!
June 24, 2008 6:02:10 AM

how to maintain at a time lan & inernet .i mean i am using internet at the same time to acesess the sharing folder.give sug
!