Suggest a storage / backup strategy for me!

AFTemp

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
Hopefully I'm putting this thread in the right forum.

I just thought I'd throw this question out there and get some other opinions from folks. I've just recently set up a new computer, and I want to organize it now before it gets too hard to move everything around in the future.

I'm running Vista Ultimate 64bit and have 2 hard drives to play with. My main drive is a WD 500GB drive (32mb cache) with the OS and apps installed with it. I bought a second 250GB drive (16mb cache) to connect internally to use as a built in backup drive.

I'm basically just looking to back up my documents folder and stuff (which includes music). I'm assuming down the road I'll have videos and whatnot stored on the computer, but for now the majority of my media files are itunes music.

For software, I can either use the vista backup program, or I can possibly get my hands on norton ghost (but would rather use the vista one if it's good enough).

I've thought about a couple of options:

A:
leave all my files on drive 1, use drive 2 as a backup and just have vista back up the documents to there and do nothing else.

B:
make drive 2 my media drive, but also dump backups to it. I'm not expecting to use up my 500GB of space on the first drive, but who knows.

C:
partition the second drive into a backup partition and a media files section... sort of a change on option B. Wouldnt know how big to make each partition though.

What would you do if it was you? My objectives are basically to backup my documents, pictures, and probably music files in case of a hard drive failure with the main drive. I'm trying to move a lot of my personal documents to electronic form with a scanner so I can get rid of paper around my office, but need to insure a hardware failure doesn't screw me!

What are your thoughts?

Raliant

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2007
I would go with Option A. But be warned, the hard drive could still fail on you, especially since it'll be on and running every time you turn your computer on.

Personally, I like the idea of having a large external with scheduled backups. The external isn't always on, lengthening the life, and it's easier to transfer should you have a HDD failure.

Good luck.

doormatderek

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006

Yup yup. A would be the best/easiest. I have my biggest as an external, just to backup any and all files. But another internal so I don't have to constantly plug in my external or turn it on at all. The only time i recommend partitioning is if you only have 1 hardrive. That way you technically have 2. one for your OS and another for backup.

I wouldnt even use vista backup .

Cut and paste has a history of working better than anything . Select everything in documents , copy the lot , paste it to the second drive and then when it tells you theres files of the same name click "yes to all" or [whatever vista says ]

It might take a while but you dont have to sit there watching it do you

Vista's backup should work ok. I personally use Second Copy 7(http://www.centered.com/). Easy to use and ONLY copies changed files to save on time. There is also an option for archiving changed files so you have several copies, but I do not use that. All my backups sit on an External 1TB e-sata drive that only runs for backups. I do not bother backing windows or software up, just my files.