/ Sign-up
Your question

Water Cooling Question

  • Heatsinks
  • Water Cooling
  • Cases
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
July 4, 2008 1:45:01 AM

I understand it takes a lot of money to get a good water cooling setup... I think I've specked out everything I might wanna get...

but I'm just making sure I have everything... I have

Radiator 1/2 ID barb
Pump 1/2 ID Barb

Fillport... how many to I need? or do I need it at all?

Tygon Tubing 1/2 ID 3/4 OD ... how much do I need... is 5 ft enough for a full tower case or should I get 10?

hose clamps

am I missing anything?

Thanks alot

More about : water cooling question

July 4, 2008 2:30:10 AM

well, you just need one fillport if that is the way you are going to go. I'd get a little extra 1/2 ID tubing just in case you cut it to the wrong size. What do you intend on cooling? CPU? GPU?

Perhaps more importantly, do you o'clock and if so, how much? This will greatly influence alot of suggestions.
July 4, 2008 2:49:16 AM

Cooling Blocks
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b K Overclocking
July 4, 2008 4:16:44 AM

o yes forgot about those... minor... very minor those are :D 

I intend to do cpu and gpu... maybe some NB

I do overclock and I like to squeeze the most performance out of my system

I'm thinking of getting

MCP655 - pump

what do fillports do? do you really need them?

and still looking at different blocks and what not

and still looking for a good radiator... are the Black Ice GTX series good? I'm looking into those and the Thermochill 120.3PA... its just the GTX prices are better and anywhere I can save a couple bucks and still get top quality components... that would be great...

thanks for the replies
July 5, 2008 3:19:53 AM

The most common use of a fill port is to use with a T-line in place of a reservoir. Sooo, you either need a fill port (to cap off the t'd line) and T-line or you need a reservoir. The former takes up a lot less space, but takes longer to bleed. The latter reduces bleeding time significantly, but you have to find space for it. as far as cooling, it makes no difference.

You can also put in a T-line and fill port in the lower section of your loop to make for easier draining.

The GTX is a very nice radiator. Some test have it beating the Thermochill, even with low speed fans. I'm still a Thermochill fan boy myself.

For a cpu and gpu, DO get at least a 3x120mm rad. If you have a space for it, then the 4x120mm GTX (or 2 x 2x120mm).

You also need fans. I'd try to get 38mm depth fans as they have better static pressure. Maybe the medium speed Scythe Ultra Kaze.
a b K Overclocking
July 5, 2008 1:35:02 PM

yeah I was actually thinking of the gtx 480 :D 

thanks for all the info on the fill port, I'm thinking it looks good to get one... but i'm wondering if you even need a reservoir... i'd probably get one anyway, just curious
July 6, 2008 3:17:48 PM

No you don't "Need" a reservoir. You need either a reservoir OR and T-line (a fill port is one way of capping off a T-Line). Many people have both - reservior for filling an bleading and a T-line for easy draining.

I have a fill port with a opening at the top of my case which leads to the top opening of my EK reservoir. There can be many variations and uses of a fill port.