Probably a dumb question, but...

josiah30

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
@DellUser1...oddly enough the 8 pin connector does fit, it just has 2 pins that sit outside of the connector. I didn't power it on that way of course, but it does fit 6 pins on the connector.

It shouldn't, as I said they are keyed differently, supposedly to keep them from being switched.

The 8 pin cpu connector on my psu is ( u square square u )
( square u u square )

A 6 pin PCIE connector is ( u u square )
(square square u )

Edit; the dim lighting and my old eye's got the better of me, fixed the pinout

My apologies.

jbj190

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
Look at the connector. The 12v wires should be feeding into the bottom row while the ground wires are in the top row. As long as the 12v and ground are oriented the same way as a 6pin PCI-E connector, you should have no problems.

Edit; Just took a look, it should be fine. The 8 Pin PCI-E is actually u u square square, square square u u. There should be a u and a square left over when you plug it in. 12v power is 12v power anyhow.

PlasticSashimi

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008

Isn't an 8 pin power connector from the PSU the same thing as an EPS12V....?

In any case It would probably be fine, but I wouldn't risk it personally...(to use the 8 pin to 6 plug)

New PSU was a good idea I think...though if your PSU has an EPS12V it couldn't have been very crappy...or old.

The molex adapters are usually pretty easy to find....though it pretty much severely limits the amount of power distribution you have to the rest of your system if you use 2 whole molex branches.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

If 8-Pin PCIe Power Cable is synonomous with EPS-12V then yea. I don't know if it is. I know I have 2 8 Pin and 4 6 Pin and an EPS12V and ATX12V and the EPS/ATX won't plug into any PCIe slots.