Cool graphics card with HDTV out and Vista64 drivers

marcd147

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
I am looking for a graphics card in my Vista64 Media Center that can feed a HDTV picture to my LCD TV

My requirements are:
■good/stable Vista 64 drivers for the card
■my prefered input in the TV is component (TV doesnt support HDCP so cant use a digital feed)
■the card needs to be cool and quiet (Wife Acceptance Factor)
■support 1080p picture
■PCI-E bus

What is a good card for this?

rallyimprezive

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
What model LCD do you have? Some have a VGA input.

Also, most new cards come with component video outputs (the red, green, blue cables) and with a resolution of 1900X1080 (or something similar, I cant remember) you will get the full 1080p experience.

marcd147

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Rallyimprezive, thks for your reply

Yes it has a vga input but the cable I have is very long (20ft) and I already have component for it (I am replacing a cable setup box with a MCE)

many cards list (HDTV out but from the pics the connector seems to look like s-video)

any pointer to a card that is quiet and cool (preferably with a newegg or frys url) would be welcome.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
The new cards have a standard DVI connector on the back for the monitor. You buy a DVI-HDMI adaptor and use that.
Or use the SVGA connector and put a components adaptor on it. If it doesn't have a HDMI out built in, you will have to use the computer audio outputs for your sound. Most decent Mobos have optical audio out with 5.1 capablity. There are some cards on the market with HDMI out I hear.

Have you tried to google around to find one?

Wasn't hard, lookies what I found in 30 seconds:

http://www.htpcnews.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23416

rallyimprezive

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007

That connector that "looks" like an svideo is actually a specific type of connection that outputs the component video out.

When you buy a graphics card, it will come with the adapter.

I really recommend using the VGA cable though. The card will come with a DVI to VGA adapter as well, so its really a no-brainer.

I recommend this card because it offers silent operation.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121076

14-121-076-05.jpg

You will notice in the image that the component video adapter is shown. :)

IndigoMoss

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
I'd definitely go for the 2600XT, or if you don't game, get a 2400XT. A lot of people have problems when using Nvidia cards on HDTVs, myself included, which most of these people say that when they use their old ATI cards, it works fine. If you search the Nvidia forums, you'll see exactly what I'm talking about and Nvidia doesn't have any plans for a solution, so I'm stuck using a custom, non-standard resolution of 1213x693 until I buy a new card, which will be ATI for the reasons mentioned above. I love my 7900GS, but this problem is quite frustrating.