Sign in with
Your question

8800 GT OC

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 14, 2008 1:46:00 PM

Hi guys having a slight problem that I just cant seem to figure out. Just bought the 8800 GT OC to replace my 7800. pulled the 7800 out and popped the 8800 in, but when I boot my monitor says no signal. I took it to my brothers house and put it in his computer and used the same monitor (mine) and it worked fine.

I tried finding solutions online, but the only thing i can find is "make sure you remove all the old video cards software". I did that to the best of my knowledge (unistalled the driver and removed the Nvidia folder my my C drive). But I still get the no signal when I use it. I also saw something that said "make sure your MB on board video is turned off" Sorry to say but I'm kinda Bios stupid, I looked in there and the only thing I saw was where it lets you chose the primary video card to use. It was on the PCI express option so I left it alone.

Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated, I cant wait to try out this new card. :bounce: 

Here is my system specs.
  • Pentium D dual core 3.0ghz
  • Abit IP95 mother board w/ PCI express video slot
  • 2gig Patriot RAM
  • 500 watt power supply Asus
  • Windows XP Pro
  • Monitor ViewSonic Optiquest 19" flat screen
  • More about : 8800

January 14, 2008 2:38:04 PM

Do you know how to boot into VGA mode?

Tap F8 during boot to get you to the windows boot option screen, and choose the VGA mode...I cant rememebr the exact words, but something like that.

That should allow you to get into windows, reinstall drivers, and choose a resolution and refresh rate that are supported by your monitor.

Lemme know if that is any help!

Edit: Wait a minute....you cant even see the POST (start up) screen can you?

If the same exact card works in a different mobo....hmm

What is the motherboard make and model?
    January 14, 2008 4:03:02 PM

MB is a Abit IP 95
    Related resources
    January 14, 2008 7:27:55 PM

There is a possibility that your MB is not compatible with the PCI-E 2.0 video card.

Its rare, but some older chipsets will not work, even though there is supposed to be no issue. You may want to do a little google research on the matter.
    January 14, 2008 7:31:33 PM

I just noticed that you have on board video as well...

Plug the monitor into the onboard controller, and see if there is video display. If there is, refer to the Mobo instructions to disable the onboard video.

If there is no display, refer to my post about compatibilty.
    January 15, 2008 12:39:05 AM

cards not comptible with your old mobo

pci-e 1 slot
    January 15, 2008 1:24:28 AM

dragonsprayer said:
    cards not comptible with your old mobo

pci-e 1 slot

Don't feed him that BS, PCIE 2.0 is backwards compatible.
    I believe turning on the comp and waiting for the mobo to boot to windows, and then video feed will switch to your other card.
    January 15, 2008 1:31:59 AM

They said the same thing about Phenom and older AM2 boards. Sometimes the card just doesn't work in some motherboards.
    July 21, 2008 3:08:17 AM

i have this same problem and i have a 23 inch wide screen monitor acer.. with a foxconn MB k8m890m2mb
    July 21, 2008 5:53:50 AM

Hey man 8800gt you clocking it??? why dont you buy the Zotac 8800gt amp edition it specs: 700CLOCK MHZ!!!!!!!! 2000 MEMORY MHZ!!!!!!!!!! ZZZZZ OMG search it in newegg
    July 21, 2008 6:34:52 AM

Loser777 said:
    Don't feed him that BS, PCIE 2.0 is backwards compatible.
    I believe turning on the comp and waiting for the mobo to boot to windows, and then video feed will switch to your other card.

PCIE 2.0 is backwards compatible...mostly. For some reason (that nvidia refuses to acknowledge) some 8800 GT cards just do not like the older PCIE interfaces.
    On my 650i, I had to RMA 2 cards before I got one that worked. They all fell victim to the "fans spin and it starts like normal, but no signal" problem. You could even hear the windows login sounds and clicking about the desktop, but saw nothing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_8_Series#8800_GT

Yes, I know, wikipedia can't always be trusted, but it does correctly state and cite/link that revised versions of BIOSes (what's the plural for bios..?) have been released in response to this issue which shows that there really *is* something goofy. In fact,there was a post made this last december with the same motherboard, same video card, and same problem.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/246977-33-abit-ip95-8...

Anyway...before you do something drastic, check (or rather, have someone check for you) your motherboard's bios settings and make sure it's not just defaulting to your onboard video instead of the 8800 GT. If that doesn't work...you might think about trying to flash the bios of the video card (use your brother's computer for this) to make the card act like a 1.0 PCIE card. This won't really affect your performance at all, as the 8800GT isn't a strong enough card to need/use all the bandwidth that even PCIE 1.0 has. If that doesn't work, keep trying other solutions/suggestions, but you very well might have a dud of a card... =/
    !