Sign in with
Your question
Closed

HP Pavillion won't come back up after shutting down while Skype was on

Last response: in Windows Vista
November 3, 2011 9:50:31 PM

Stop: C000021a{fatal system error}0x00000000(0xc0000001 0x01004d4)The system has been shut down.

Ever since turning off my HP Pavillion laptop (2008 vintage) during a recent Skype (video phone call) session, the computer has complained of being shut down while a peripheral or camera was on. I cannot get back into Windows at all. Please help.

Natalie

More about : pavillion back shutting skype

a b α HP
November 3, 2011 10:00:28 PM

namerrill said:
Stop: C000021a{fatal system error}0x00000000(0xc0000001 0x01004d4)The system has been shut down.

Ever since turning off my HP Pavillion laptop (2008 vintage) during a recent Skype (video phone call) session, the computer has complained of being shut down while a peripheral or camera was on. I cannot get back into Windows at all. Please help.

Natalie
namerrill@gmail.com

Unplug your camera and see if you can boot. If not able to, try booting into safe mode toggle (F8) during startup. Select "Safemode with Networking"

Try updating your device driver in device manager, or access internet and download your device drivers.

Hope this helps you.
Score
November 4, 2011 7:00:35 PM

Since my camera is built into the HP Pavillion laptop, I can't figure out how to turn it off, especially while I can't access windows since the system is shut down. Tried holding F8 while booting up yesterday, came up into SystemBios, ran memory test, passed 100%. Don't know what else to do. Any ideas?
Score
Related resources
November 4, 2011 7:02:09 PM

ksiemb said:
Unplug your camera and see if you can boot. If not able to, try booting into safe mode toggle (F8) during startup. Select "Safemode with Networking"

Try updating your device driver in device manager, or access internet and download your device drivers.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks for the ideas, When I tried the F8 toggle during start up I came to the System Bios page and did not get the safemode with Networking opportunity - maybe I'd better try again!

Since my camera is built into the HP Pavillion laptop, I can't figure out how to turn it off, especially while I can't access windows since the system is shut down. Tried holding F8 while booting up yesterday, came up into SystemBios, ran memory test, passed 100%. Don't know what else to do. Any ideas?

Natalie
Score
a b α HP
November 4, 2011 8:30:30 PM

namerrill said:
Thanks for the ideas, When I tried the F8 toggle during start up I came to the System Bios page and did not get the safemode with Networking opportunity - maybe I'd better try again!

Natalie

TAP the F8 key - don't hold it down !
Score
November 6, 2011 3:39:13 AM

ksiemb said:
TAP the F8 key - don't hold it down !

When I tap it, I get to a Start windows repair screen. Every time I do that, it says that Windows cannot repair this computer automatically.

The computer was working just great. Then, during Skype, I pulled the plug out and then pulled the battery out. This stopped the computer abruptly - with the camera still enabled. If I could get into the system to do anything about that internal camera, it might help, but I cannot get the system to start again yet. Hoping for any other new ideas you may have.
Thanks,
Natalie
Score
a b α HP
November 6, 2011 6:58:32 AM

namerrill said:
When I tap it, I get to a Start windows repair screen. Every time I do that, it says that Windows cannot repair this computer automatically.

The computer was working just great. Then, during Skype, I pulled the plug out and then pulled the battery out. This stopped the computer abruptly - with the camera still enabled. If I could get into the system to do anything about that internal camera, it might help, but I cannot get the system to start again yet. Hoping for any other new ideas you may have.
Thanks,
Natalie

The computer was working just great. Then, during Skype, I pulled the plug out and then pulled the battery out.

Why did you do this, pull the battery out ? Did you put it back in ?
When you receive the error message that it cannot repair, what is on your screen ? Is it a DOS screen waiting for a command ?

Give this a try:
*Take out the battery,
*Remove main power supply,
*Hold power button down for 30 secs,
*Put only power supply in, do not put battery in
*Turn laptop on
*Put the battery in.
Score
November 6, 2011 11:34:19 AM

Now I did get the Safemode opportunity with F8! Choosing safe mode with Networking, it began to load the files. Stops every time at crcdisk.sys
Crcdisk.sys can't be found. Is there a way to get the crcdisk.sys back on the hard drive so the system can find it without needing to wipe all my files?

"The computer was working just great. Then, during Skype, I pulled the plug out and then pulled the battery out.

Why did you do this, pull the battery out ? Did you put it back in ?
When you receive the error message that it cannot repair, what is on your screen ? Is it a DOS screen waiting for a command ?

after safe mode with networking crcdisk.sys stops the list of loading files, then I get the fatal error message again (same one as started this thread).

Give this a try:
*Take out the battery,
*Remove main power supply,
*Hold power button down for 30 secs,
*Put only power supply in, do not put battery in
*Turn laptop on
*Put the battery in."

The reason I pulled the battery out is that the computer a loud noise on my end disrupted the call. The computer has a bad, very noisy, fan, and it has caused noise before but never been a problem on start up. (This I have seen on the internet for this model and I have not had it repaired.) A friend had showed me that to stop the noise, you just take the battery out and unplug the computer. (This has been working for years. The sound is every 3 weeks or every 3 months, pretty unpredictable and totally disappears when the computer is restarted). It strikes me now that instead of yanking the battery I could have just asked the computer to shut down at the start menu - the computer was loud, but still working fine. Don't know why my EE friend who can do programming thought that the battery removal technique was the recommended way,- it worked, so I just always did that.

Okay I tried the power sequence without the battery just now and get to the screen that Windows cannot repair this computer automatically.

Now that I can get to the F8 screen (it beeped long when I touched F8, and then opened the screen!), is there anything else you would recommend trying?
Score
a b α HP
November 6, 2011 11:56:50 AM

Sorry, but you have more problems (noisy fan etc) then you started out with in your original post. Maybe someone else will jump in, and take over. Appears you have both hardware & software issues combined, and should just start over and install the operating system, and go from there.
Score
November 6, 2011 4:39:12 PM

Hi Ksiemb,
Yes,the pre-existing unrelated hardware problem of having a noisy fan has been addressed for that model and can potentially be replaced; however the computer complained of being shut down while the peripheral (internal camera for Skype) was on; so that was what I was hoping to get past.
Would you please recommend how I might get my files off before taking the computer in to have VISTA reinstalled?

Looking forward to your reply,
Natalie

ksiemb said:
Sorry, but you have more problems (noisy fan etc) then you started out with in your original post. Maybe someone else will jump in, and take over. Appears you have both hardware & software issues combined, and should just start over and install the operating system, and go from there.

Score
a b α HP
November 6, 2011 4:51:29 PM

namerrill said:
Hi Ksiemb,
Yes,the pre-existing unrelated hardware problem of having a noisy fan has been addressed for that model and can potentially be replaced; however the computer complained of being shut down while the peripheral (internal camera for Skype) was on; so that was what I was hoping to get past.
Would you please recommend how I might get my files off before taking the computer in to have VISTA reinstalled?

Looking forward to your reply,
Natalie

Natalie:
Try one more approach. In safe mode, select safe mode with command prompt. then type in "dir" without the quotes. This is the directory command. If you get a response, we may be able to do something in command mode.

Ken
Score
November 6, 2011 6:10:01 PM

Hi Ken, Okay, tried that. However, it tries to load files before it lets me type dir. It gets stuck at the crcdisk.sys and will not go. Tried again, typing dir anyway, did seem to work. Comes around to the first error message again about how the system is shut down.

Off to Best Buy for repair. Do you think they will be able to save any of my files?

Natalie
Score
a b α HP
November 6, 2011 6:21:14 PM

namerrill said:
Hi Ken, Okay, tried that. However, it tries to load files before it lets me type dir. It gets stuck at the crcdisk.sys and will not go. Tried again, typing dir anyway, did seem to work. Comes around to the first error message again about how the system is shut down.

Off to Best Buy for repair. Do you think they will be able to save any of my files?

Natalie

The GEEK Squad ? Oh Boy, Get your Credit line increased ! ! :lol:  :lol: 

If they can, they will, & charge you. Personally I would buy a new drive, and and have them keep the old one as secondary drive in computer.
Score
November 6, 2011 6:44:24 PM

ksiemb said:
The GEEK Squad ? Oh Boy, Get your Credit line increased ! ! :lol:  :lol: 

If they can, they will, & charge you. Personally I would buy a new drive, and and have them keep the old one as secondary drive in computer.

Yes, I am afraid of their holiday-wrecking charges. Does your advice about a new drive mean that I might run my computer using an external drive? (and keep the old one inside the computer). If so, would I be able to get that external drive from Best Buy and then, once I have an operating system that works, potentially still be able to access the files on my old drive?

Natalie
Score

Best solution

a b α HP
November 6, 2011 7:04:24 PM

namerrill said:
Yes, I am afraid of their holiday-wrecking charges. Does your advice about a new drive mean that I might run my computer using an external drive? (and keep the old one inside the computer). If so, would I be able to get that external drive from Best Buy and then, once I have an operating system that works, potentially still be able to access the files on my old drive?

Natalie

I was thinking more along the lines to have the Operating System on a new drive inside the computer. And have them put the existing drive in an external USB enclosure (they are cheap). That way all your personal files will not disappear. Or, they might be able to hook up the old drive as a secondary internal drive, depending on your computer. Ask them what is best for your situation, and good luck.

Before jumping into the deep end though, you might consider borrowing a Win CD (same as your Operating System) to boot from, and see what you can do to salvage your files, (copy to some flash drive.)
November 6, 2011 7:24:06 PM

Best answer selected by namerrill.
Score
a c 76 α HP
November 6, 2011 8:26:12 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!