Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Starcraft 2 or World of Starcraft

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 8, 2005 12:09:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft (More info?)

With all this dicussion of World of Warcaft, I'm thinking what would
Blizzards next smart move be (with Starcraft, if that is ever going to
happen). Going buy the success of World of Warcraft is makes sense that
there might be a World of Starcraft in future. However, I don't believe that
the Starcraft story is far enough developed (at the end of Broodwar) to be
able to successfully support a MMORPG.

Starcraft 2 on the other hand could address these issues, and set up a
perfect base for a MMORPG (I'm not quite sure how). Personally I would
create a Starcraft 2 (even if I wasn't going to gain much from it), just to
set up a good base to expand into a MMORPG.
--
Marsh Lion
Life is an audition
The show is heaven
Are you in?
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 8, 2005 12:09:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft (More info?)

"Marsh Lion" <bbarnes@SPAMParadise.net.nz> wrote in message
news:4207cafc@clear.net.nz...
> With all this dicussion of World of Warcaft, I'm thinking what would
> Blizzards next smart move be (with Starcraft, if that is ever going to
> happen). Going buy the success of World of Warcraft is makes sense that
> there might be a World of Starcraft in future. However, I don't believe
that
> the Starcraft story is far enough developed (at the end of Broodwar) to be
> able to successfully support a MMORPG.
>
> Starcraft 2 on the other hand could address these issues, and set up a
> perfect base for a MMORPG (I'm not quite sure how). Personally I would
> create a Starcraft 2 (even if I wasn't going to gain much from it), just
to
> set up a good base to expand into a MMORPG.

World of Starcraft would require an interplanetary "world" - currently
beyond the scope of current gaming and serving - and to meet the level of
expectations set by potential customers each world would have to be at least
as detailed and big as the WoW world. (This is my personal take)

This begs the question - is this what Blizzard was referring to when they
say computers are not yet sophisticated enough to allow us to do with
Starcraft 2, the things that we have in mind?

--
LTP

When the llama speaks you listen. Unfortunately the llama hasn't spoken
yet.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 9, 2005 12:31:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft (More info?)

Luc The Perverse wrote:
> "Marsh Lion" <bbarnes@SPAMParadise.net.nz> wrote in message
> news:4207cafc@clear.net.nz...
>
>>With all this dicussion of World of Warcaft, I'm thinking what would
>>Blizzards next smart move be (with Starcraft, if that is ever going to
>>happen). Going buy the success of World of Warcraft is makes sense that
>>there might be a World of Starcraft in future. However, I don't believe
>
> that
>
>>the Starcraft story is far enough developed (at the end of Broodwar) to be
>>able to successfully support a MMORPG.
>>
>>Starcraft 2 on the other hand could address these issues, and set up a
>>perfect base for a MMORPG (I'm not quite sure how). Personally I would
>>create a Starcraft 2 (even if I wasn't going to gain much from it), just
>
> to
>
>>set up a good base to expand into a MMORPG.
>
>
> World of Starcraft would require an interplanetary "world" - currently
> beyond the scope of current gaming and serving - and to meet the level of
> expectations set by potential customers each world would have to be at least
> as detailed and big as the WoW world. (This is my personal take)

Hardly. You're on one planet, you enter a certain area which happens to
be the inside of a spaceship, there's a transition of some kind and then
you're on another planet. It wouldn't be that hard to do given what
they've been able to do with WoW. Even easier with the Protoss, gating
everywhere. Granted, you wouldn't have the same amount of area on each
planet as you do in the entirety of WoW but if you had a lot of worlds
there'd only be a few key locations in each place you'd be interested in
anyway.

> This begs the question - is this what Blizzard was referring to when they
> say computers are not yet sophisticated enough to allow us to do with
> Starcraft 2, the things that we have in mind?

No, it's that computers can't yet teleport money straight out of the
National Reserve Bank of Korea.
!