So i just installed my new Noctua NH-U12P

cyberfunk

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2008
Hi Guys,

So ive just installed my new Noctua NH-U12P, and was really excited about seeing a dramatic drop in temperature over my E8500 Stock fan, and after booting up, and running for about 25 mins now, i have only seen a drop of about 3 degrees, idling core0 47/ core1 38.

I am using two programs to monitor the temperature, and am confused as they both report different temps.

( using vista 64 bit )

CoreTemp 0.99

RealTemp 2.5

l
cpu_temp.jpg

Any advice on how to achieve the 24 degree idling temps reported here http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=3268&p=5 , info on why these two programs report different temperature, and which one is the "real" temperature would be greatly appreciated... ( yes i followed the installation guide! ).

Many Thanks,

Cyb

cmashwin

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
idling temps depends on lot of factors like ambient temps, case air-flow and also power-saving features enabled in ur system..
It also depends on how much (if U have) overclocked ur system.. So without these data, we cant really help u much.. Pls mention ur overclocks, motherboard and settings..
Also, ur temps seem pretty fine to me!!

cyberfunk

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2008
Im pretty new to this stuff, so please bare with me.

So far i havent overclocked my system, I was really looking forward to getting into that, hoping this heatsink would give me allot of headroom for overclocking.

Room temperature ( ambient temp ? ) is currently ~17 degrees celcius, and am using the default "balanced" power saving option in vista ( have not played around with that yet, just got my system built a few days ago).

Case airflow is pretty good, im using an Antec 900 case.

cmashwin

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
if u have noticed, there is a 9 degree difference in ur cores.. There usually is a bit of a difference, but around 1 to 4 degrees is normal..
It cud mean that ur heatsink needs to be reseated properly.. Please check your heatsink for movements or shaking and tighten down screws or pushpins with ur mobo REMOVED.. If its already in place, recheck the best u can.. Also, use artic silver 5 or mx-2 compound..
Apart from all this, the e8500 does tend to run hotter and there have been issues with its thermal sensor.. So, just keep an eye out on max temps rather than idle temps and also in ur BIOS, enable speedstep unless u love seeing ur system drawing more power even when u not using..
Open the side-window of the case and check for hot spots.. I had a hot-spot to the right of my cooler (TRU120extreme).. Turn the fan speed controls to max so taht it gets max airflow..
After checking all this, u r set to overclock the little beauty :)