philosofool

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2008
I'm currently running 2GB of Patriot Extreme DDR2 800 dual channel memory; I'm thinking about upgrading to 4GB. Do I need to have memory that will match the Patriot Extreme latencies, or will any DDR2800 memory do? (The reason I ask is because my mobo doesn't actually support the voltage requirements of my patriot memory. It seems to be running fine, but I'd rather get something I know my mobo supports voltage wise.)

PCtechie

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
I just upgraded to 4GB of memory and I found out that sticking with the same brand and latencies is best practice. I did have to go into the bios and manually change my memory timings so that it was all running at 4-4-4-2t because for some reason when you put in just 2 sticks your bios likes to loosen your timings. As far as voltage I have mine running at the full 2.2v that patriot likes, but you can scale it back to 1.8 or 2.0 and you should be fine. Side note: I haven't really noticed a big difference in performance with my upgrade except for my 3dmark06 score going up by 350 points and when I noticed a small boost in frontpage, but that's it. I am not sure what tinings you are looking for but here's a link to a great deal on 2 gigs of patriot memory with 4-4-4-2t timings.
http://shop4.outpost.com/product/5470099?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG