GearSwitch

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
Ok, So I just got a new motherboard, CPU and Ram. I bought a Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 Rev-1.1, Amd Athlon 64 X2 6400+, 2 Gigz OCZ Reaper that is suppose to run at 3-4-4-15 @2.4V. I have a BFG 8800 GT OC2, but that was in a previous system running perfect. I Also have a OCZ GameXstream 700W PSU- all voltages are at right levels. I got all my new stuff and formatted my hard drive and put windows XP on. I noticed my ram was at the default bios setting of 5-5-5-15, so i decided to go into my bios and maunaully change my ram timings to what they should be, 3-4-4-15 @2.4v, however when I tried this the computer would not boot, and I have to reset the cmos battery. So I manage to get the ram at 4-4-4-15. I try to play COD4 and Crysis, but they both crash after about 1-2 hours of play. So I put everything in my system back to default and the same thing happens. I ran Prime95 for 8 hours with no errors. So I thought it was the ram so I just ran memtest and that came back with no errors as well. I still think it may be my ram... Does anyone have any idea what my problem may be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PCtechie

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
Try putting voltage to 2.2 or even 2.1 and see if that works. Also, try 4-4-4-12 timings. Do you know what your default voltage is set at?

friendlysmith1

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
I don't mean to get off of subject but I have almost the same exact parts (motherboard, ram, video card) as GearSwitch and I have looked several times in the bios for a way to manually change ram timings to no avail. No ram timings or multiplier is in bios on this motherboard. I too have sporadic crashes. I believe the motherboard manufacture states maximum ram voltage of 2.0.

GearSwitch

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
Just an update, I put my ram to 667 speed and still no luck.....On gigabytes website, it doesnt list this ram as being supported....and on OCZ's website it doesnt list my motherboard as being supported. I am pretty sure its a compatibility issue... I think I will order some A-Data tonight and see how that goes....