Sign in with
Your question

Frequency of Antec Nine Hundred Sales

Last response: in Components
January 18, 2008 11:19:34 AM

The Nine Hundred is on sale right now on Newegg and I plan on getting it eventually, but I don't need it right now. How often can I reasonably expect this case (or any other really) to be on sale?
January 18, 2008 11:55:12 AM

Erm in the UK e-retailers have always had them in stock for easily over 6 months now. I would say it is a high performance cooling case and as such retailers will keep selling them, i would have thought. Not sure exactly, but it'll be for sale till the end of the year or till the next best sub £100 case comes out.
January 18, 2008 1:13:12 PM

leviathan1521 said:
The Nine Hundred is on sale right now on Newegg and I plan on getting it eventually, but I don't need it right now. How often can I reasonably expect this case (or any other really) to be on sale?

Beware of the issues with this case!! Always look at the low star reviews on Newegg for the most info!!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=100&SelectedRating=1&PurchaseMark=&VideoOnlyMark=False&Page=

I would say you are better of sticking with the tried and trusted like Lian Li:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112160
being their latest and greatest which is a rip-off of the Antec Nine Hundred case but much nicer!!
tThe tolerences on the Lian-Li will be much tighter... It also looks gorgeous!!

Or my favourite Lian-Li, the modular A16B:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112132

Silverstone also do some really sweet cases...

Any firm that produces shoddy cases where you can't fit a graphics card connector to your graphics card without first dremelling the case should be avoided!! Heck at the end of the day you get what you pays for... A good case should last years... A poor quality case will just piss you off until you get round to replacing it!! :cry: 

Bob

P.S. Sorry about Leviathan1521 's comment - not all us limeys are so stupid!! Sale does mean the same thing over the pond... LIKE REDUCED IN PRICE!! Be careful when buying cheap cheap gear with lots of extra offers added in -cough,cough!! :hello: 

Related resources
January 18, 2008 1:16:28 PM

£65/€94 is pretty cheap. Half of that is the cost of the fans :D 
Edit: After reading the poor reviews pointed out by bob, would the p180/182 be a better choice. Its kinda in the same price range, not like the lian li. Pretty expensive T_T
January 18, 2008 1:31:16 PM

That case is on sale fairly often I've noticed. And if it's not on sale at the time you want to buy it, make a post in newegg's forums in the "Return these newsletter deals" section. I've posted there about a deal they no longer had and they gave me the deal anyway.
January 18, 2008 1:37:10 PM

I'll admit this case does look nice.

The thing I don't like about it, is understanding the airflow. After seeing some pic on people rigs, I can spot 2 vacuum locks to were 2 fans are basically not getting cool air.

I've tested it before, which was kinda similar to where the PSU fan (bottom) is pulling air down on that case, yet depending on the video card, is pulling up. That right there will cause a vacuum lock. Even when you see 2 fans pushing together, yet if you monitor the RPMs on the fan, it makes the farther fan spin faster, but yet it still causes temps to rise.

So I'm definitely more about airflow in a constant (Meaning no disruption for air to flow). Having a certain number of fans is one thing, but too many fans, is another. :lol: 
a c 145 ) Power supply
January 18, 2008 1:44:24 PM

The negative comments about poor clearance for vga cables on the 900 need to be disregarded. It was a problem for some mobo's that put the vga card in the top slot. There was not enough clearance to fully seat the vga cable. The problem has been corrected for some time with new revisions of the case.

@moosemuffin..great idea.

The bottom chamber does not really need a fan. The psu fan will be enough to keep itself and bottom mounted HDD's cool. The chamber is completely isolated from the top part where all the hot components are. I see the upper chamber airflow as straight in from the two 120mm front fans, and out the back and top through the rear 120mm and top 200mm fans.

The bottom mounted psu may be an issue with a cheap psu that does not have long cables. One could always gat cable extenders if necessary. For neatness, a modular psu might be a good idea for this case.

Here is a good review and comparison of the case: http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=996&pageID=2739

To answer the op question, Antec seems to have lots of case promotions. When you see the deal you want, be prepared to snatch it up.

January 18, 2008 2:05:28 PM

Let me speak from experience.

yes I have the case, and if you have any problems, other than dust, which I hear has been fixed in a revision, then you clearly need to rethink building your own PC.

The case is wonderful in all respects.

Air flow is great, you got the 2 fans up front pulling in air, the 1 in the back and up top exhausting the air, there is plenty of air flow if you control your cables.

No need to buy a Lian Li for 200+ when the Antec 900 is well worth 100.

Thing to remember on those newegg comments, some of those people are just complete noobs, I wanted to say idiots, but I shall refrain. As when they finally get more experience they will see the error of their ways.

I can honestly recommend the 900 and have on many occasions, especially if air flow is a concern.

My current system:

DS3R rev 1
Q6600 OC'ed to 2.9ghz
Stock Intel CPU Fan
Patriot Memory, 2 gigs
74gig/150gig raptors
Antec 900 case always keeping everything cool.

Some different components, better CPU fanI could OC for more, but I am happy for the money I spent.

If you can catch the 900 under 100 without mail in rebate, grab it, you won't be disappointed.
January 18, 2008 2:07:52 PM

Quote:
Beware of the issues with this case!! Always look at the low star reviews on Newegg for the most info!!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] alse&Page=
Almost all the GPU slot problems have been addressed with the revision of the case. Most of those negative reviews are now invalid if that comforts you guys.
January 18, 2008 2:30:51 PM

scubageek said:
Let me speak from experience.

yes I have the case, and if you have any problems, other than dust, which I hear has been fixed in a revision, then you clearly need to rethink building your own PC.

The case is wonderful in all respects.

Air flow is great, you got the 2 fans up front pulling in air, the 1 in the back and up top exhausting the air, there is plenty of air flow if you control your cables.

No need to buy a Lian Li for 200+ when the Antec 900 is well worth 100.

Thing to remember on those newegg comments, some of those people are just complete noobs, I wanted to say idiots, but I shall refrain. As when they finally get more experience they will see the error of their ways.

I can honestly recommend the 900 and have on many occasions, especially if air flow is a concern.

My current system:

DS3R rev 1
Q6600 OC'ed to 2.9ghz
Stock Intel CPU Fan
Patriot Memory, 2 gigs
74gig/150gig raptors
Antec 900 case always keeping everything cool.

Some different components, better CPU fanI could OC for more, but I am happy for the money I spent.

If you can catch the 900 under 100 without mail in rebate, grab it, you won't be disappointed.

I sometimes go to newegg reviews just to have a laugh when I get bored of looking for new stuff.
January 18, 2008 2:37:36 PM

I wouldn't really trust newegg customer reviews (good or bad). This case has an incredible repution for being cool, quiet, plenty of space and easy to work with. I own both revisions and the issues with the first are merely annoyances that are dwarfed by everything that is great about it. Fixing these issues in the second revision just makes it all that much better. I was putting together my system last night in the newer case and with it on the floor in front of me and the side off while I was tweaking everything I actually had to put sweat pants on over my shorts because my legs were getting cold from the case.
January 18, 2008 2:45:16 PM

Quote:
I sometimes go to newegg reviews just to have a laugh when I get bored of looking for new stuff.
Oh, there's some good ones...

I think it's gone now, but there was a review on one of the FX5500 cards where a guy said something along the lines of "lol i won this in a drawing it gets like 1200 fps in bf2. i was doing so good that people thought i was hacking"... lol
January 18, 2008 3:10:50 PM

I agree with scubageek, Antec 900 is a great case.

**I bought some 9$ metal screens and added them to the front air take fans when I was building my machine and have almost no dust...

-I did find some of the cables were a tight fit, but its easy to fix that...

I would and have recommended the 900 to many.
January 18, 2008 3:27:17 PM

Hi

I was going to recommend the case to neighbour (given it is cheapish here in the UK)... Hence my interest in this thread!!

(1) Has the case got dust filters (of some description) on the intake fans...
(2) Have the PCI slot hole (i.e. holes on the motherboard tray to secure PCI plates) allignment issues (alluded to the negative reviews) been sorted out in the newer revision>??

Thanks

Bob
January 18, 2008 3:38:08 PM

Quote:
1) Has the case got dust filters (of some description) on the intake fans...
No, it's just got a normal perforated metal grill. It keeps most larger dust particles out, but I wouldn't consider a real dust filter. (I believe they put some in on the Antec 1200)

Quote:
(2) Have the PCI slot hole (i.e. holes on the motherboard tray to secure PCI plates) allignment issues (alluded to the negative reviews) been sorted out in the newer revision>??
Yes, I addressed that above. :) 
January 18, 2008 3:53:15 PM

if you want silence, get the p180/182... it'll keep your stuff cool...

if you'd rather you be able to see your cool stuff... get the Antec 900...
January 18, 2008 4:25:16 PM

Dude - The 5star to 1start rating is about 1369 to 6!

If you don't buy a product because less than 1% of the people don't like it, you might as well stop shopping now.
January 18, 2008 5:02:49 PM

I also have an Antec 900. It's not the roomiest case I've ever worked with but it's fine. There's a 120mm fan mount inside the case that should be removed if you're installing a large video card. I'm running a 8800GTX which is pretty big. luckily the PCI-E connectors are on the side.

My main gripes, and they're not enough to make me not recommend the case) are:

* if you install a card on the bottom PCI slot, it covers the PSU fan.
* There are only 3 accessible slots on the case if you use both 120mm intake fans. I have 2 opticals and one floppy. No space for a fanbus or standalone card reader or the control panel for an Audigy or anything like that.
* I'm not a huge fan of how the case mounts a floppy drive.
* If you have kids, they may think the large top exhaust would be a fun place to drop stuff into.

On the plus side though, the cooling is excellent. My CPU fan barely even spins. It's usually idle unless I'm doing something CPU intensive.

I recommend using SATA opticals purely to save space. The HDD mounting cages aren't tool-less but I'm not lazy. They come out easily and I had not problem with them. Also, all my fans worked perfectly out of the box. All of the slots lined up fine in my case. Also I very much appreciate the little knick-knack space on top of the case.

Newegg had it on sale this week for $45 after rebates. That makes Lian Li's seem wasteful in comparison (Don't get me wrong, I have a Lian Li also, I just prefer my 900). I find it funny that people griped about the fans on newegg. Buy a Lian Li for 4 times as much and it doesn't even have any, let alone, high quality Antec TriCools.
January 18, 2008 5:36:19 PM

If you are overclocking, this is a great case. I overclock my 8800 GTS and e6400 and am extremely satisifed with this case.
a c 144 ) Power supply
January 18, 2008 5:43:18 PM

zenmaster said:
Dude - The 5star to 1start rating is about 1369 to 6!

If you don't buy a product because less than 1% of the people don't like it, you might as well stop shopping now.

Unfortunately, the lower ratings carry more information. And frequently, reported problems are used to revise a product.

Many of the 5 star ratings are overinflated. Criteria for a 3 star rating should be "Does what it's supposed to do." Then work up or down from there.
January 18, 2008 5:43:28 PM

Antec just debuted the 1200 case that is much like the 900.
I have seen the Antec 900 sell for $50 here in the USA with a mail in rebate.
Frys.com just had it on sale with mail in rebate selling for $49 and free shipping.
I bought my Antec 900 a few months ago for $79 dollars delivered from Frys.com.
The cooling ability of this case is great, 2 3.5" hard drive cages in the front with 12cm fams blowing air from outside the front of the case over the HD's and into the case. Then you have 1 12cm fan at the back of the case exhausting warm air and a 20cm fan at the top also exhausting warm air.
Air flow is not a problem with this case and with a Q6600 CPU it's the coolest case that I have.
My 8800GT fits just fine within the case on an Asus P5W HD Deluxe motherboard.
With the PSU located at the bottom of the case, power cable management is a snap.
My fear is that with the new 1200 series coming out that the 900 will be phased out.
Overall the Antec 900 case is one that I will own for a long time.
I have no problem recommending it to anyone.
January 18, 2008 6:27:08 PM

I also have the Antec 900 and I have absolutely no problem with it so if you want it just buy it you won't be disappointed.
January 18, 2008 9:17:39 PM

bobbknight said:
Antec just debuted the 1200 case that is much like the 900.

My fear is that with the new 1200 series coming out that the 900 will be phased out.
Overall the Antec 900 case is one that I will own for a long time.
I have no problem recommending it to anyone.

The Antec 1200 case is overpriced rubbish... Why sell 2 underpowered PSU's with a server case like this?? Like whats with a 550Watt PSU just to power fans and HD/ODDs - its really wierd and inefficient IMHO... :pt1cable:  It's really creative arithmetic to add 550Watt and 650Watt PSU and get a 1200Watt PSU!!

I would feel pawn3d if I bought this case!!

The Antec 900 won't be phased out because of this case... In fact me thinks the 1200 will be phased out!! :hello: 

LMAO

Bob

P.S. Any comments on the Antec 182 case vs Antec 900 (since the former seems to get higher "official" reviews)??
January 19, 2008 4:58:43 AM

There are no single perfect pc case in the world. There are minus and plus in both sides but when the plus are more than minus, there are to be considered 'worth to be bought'.

From my experience with 900, it's a very 'worth to have' case. When I decide to buy a pc gaming case, the main factor that I consider the most is AIR FLOW and 900 has it.
January 19, 2008 5:13:29 AM

The Nine hundred is a great case. I love mine. I have my Q6600 @ 3.7 on air easily. The airflow is awesome
!