OCZ StealthXStream

nzxtlexa

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2007
Its not too bad but you could do better. What is the rest of your system?

There are plenty of Tier 2 PSU's for about the same price of a high quality. I can recommend the gamexstream.

dkoerner7

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
Intel Quad Q6600
4 gig ram
8800 gt (1 now, possible 2 in the future)
Asus P35

Just making sure I get something that's future proof in case I want to do SLI/Crossfire.

dkoerner7

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
Great!

2 quick questions:

What would I gain from the Game to the Stealth? Better reliability? Any more efficient? I trust the boards, but I'm just curious why technically.

Also, the 700w is just a bit more expensive. Is that overkill or is it worth it to get the extra 100W just in case?

nzxtlexa

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2007
I couldn't tell you exactly whats better its just I have one and am very happy with it.

I would say that the 700w is worth it especially if you do SLI in the future. Have a check on nvidia's site to see what the minumum power supply needed is for 8800gt sli. it should say.

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
I am using that very same PSU (StealthxStream) in my system, and so far no reliability problems.

My system is as follows:

4400+X2
2GB Ram
2900 Pro
1 sata Hard drive

I don't use anywhere near 600W, according to my Watt power meter. However this PSU was cheap and the specs are decent, that's why I am using it.
All systems vary on power requirements according to components, but the specs you quoted do not warrant a 700W PSU. You shouldn't even consume near 600W! Save your cash and stick with the StealthXSteam.

TSIMonster

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006

Negatory. Neither are modular. The Gamexstream has a blue LED fan. Other then that, I am not sure. It is "suppose" to be slightly better, but the specs on the sticker are the same. Here is what OCZ says on the 2

Stealth:

"Designed for the value-minded gamer seeking simple but powerful performance, the StealthXStream includes OCZ’s acclaimed reliability and feature-sets with a lower price point. Ideal for system builders and enthusiasts who prefer a low-key PSU, the StealthXStream focuses on performance and quality made affordable for even the tightest budgets. It also excludes flashy LEDs ensuring the power supply does not pose as a distraction in your case....

Game
As more and more gamers take advantage of the gaming benefits offered by multi-GPU technology the need for improved power supply solutions increases greatly. The GameXStream features high-quality components to ensure your PC’s vital hardware is supplied with clean, stable and reliable power without compromising effectiveness....

TSIMonster

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Maybe a lemon fan? Not sure. Our A/C broke last summer and I still played CS:S and such and it was 80+ in my room. I could hear the fan, but it definitely was not loud. (That was with 2 HDDs, 8800GTS, 2 Optical Drives, and 3600+@2.9Ghz, and numerous other things in the case. I know I am not stressing the PSU at all though, so you could be stressing yours more...

The StealthXStream 600W is quiet and it has a blue fan too. I bought one for my Dad's HP box, mostly because it was the only decent PSU that could actually fit in that tiny box.

Edit: on second thought, that PSU has never been under load, since the PC is still on integrated graphics for now. It might not be so quiet with an HD 3870 in there, we'll see...

shoota

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
I have the 700W gamexstream and that sucker was noisy ALL the time. If you get on ocz's forums you'll see that they have a problem with the fan controller in these PSU's. Mine ran full speed all the time, not good.
So the fix? Either send it in or do what i did, get a really nice fan like a Noctua or a Scythe and replace it :) Much better now.

mamemimo

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
I have the StealthXStream power supply - got it after Anandtech recommended it in their Holiday Shoppers guide. Runs quiet and powers my rig well:

Q6600
8800GTS (G92) 512MB
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
80GB IDE Hard Drive (waiting on an RMA of a 500GB SATA)
4 GB Mushkin DDR2-800
Zalman 9500

TSIMonster

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006

hmm, maybe I got lucky? That or I am just not stressing the thing at all. Of course, I have a better tolerance of noise then some. (I am a drummer/guitarist and I am sure my ears suffer because of it)

Fan noise doesn't bother me as much as HDD or optical drive noise though. Maybe I just haven't noticed it.... Oh well, I'll give it a listen when I get home from work today.