Processor upgrade advice please..

Hi there,

I am running a pentium d processor (2.80ghz).

I bought the system from dell some time ago, and I am enquiring whether it is possible to "drop in " a core 2 duo or quad into the exisiting mobo.

Spec is as follows (cpu-z report)

System is Dell Dimension 9150

Dell OFJO30 motherboard.

Chipset : Intel i945p/pl/g/gz
SB : Intel 82801GB (ICH7/R)
Bios : Dell v.A05
Graphic Interface : PCI-E.
Graphics Card : Nvidia 7600gs
Ram : 2GB

What would be the whizziest cpu i could drop in there, if any (core 2 quad maybe>????

thanks in advance!

inviz_
7 answers Last reply
More about processor upgrade advice please
  1. that is..pentium D 915 I believe
  2. Quote:
    Supports Intel® Core%u21222 Duo processor, Intel® Pentium® D processor, Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with HT Technology and all other Intel® Pentium® processors and Intel® Celeron® processors in the LGA775 socket, with scalability for future processor innovations.

Source: http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/945p/index.htm

*edit* You're limited to a 1066/800/533Mhz bus... so you'll want to go with an E21xx (800Mhz) or E6400 (1066Mhz) some other chip with an 800Mhz or 1066Mhz bus.
  3. Would the Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 775 work? can i just slot it in?
    etc.

Thanks for the rapid reply!

Inviz_
  4. Should work, it's also a 1066Mhz proc.
  5. I could be wrong but Dell are a bi*ch when it comes to cpu upgrades so research carefully before buying. Some of their mobos will only take the pentium D's and no C2D's.
  6. Yeah, they could have loaded the BIOS to only accept PD chips. I'd call them and verify before you go out and spend $200.
  7. I have a Dell Dimension 9100 with a Pentium D 3.19 GHz.

I would love to pop in a quad core and keep the remainder of the system. What I would like is a Core2 Quad (Q9450) (2.66GHz with a FSB of 1333MHz.)

I am thinking the Pentium D is an 800MHz FSB so it will not work. Advice anyone?
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Dell Processors