No Internet Connection

n30r3b3l

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
I have an E-Machines running Windows Vista. I can ping IP addresses and websites and it resolves DNS names and pings perfectly fine. But when trying to browse I get a Page Cannot Be Displayed. Also when trying to run Windows Update I get an error saying that the server could not be found. I am wondering if rebuilding the IP stack would solve this.

What has changed since last it was working ?

Have you gone into network connections & "Poked" around ?

There is a way to restore Vista without any disks, via the command prompt.

Restore Vista using command prompt.

This will work provided Vista is installed on your C: drive.

If you have installed Vista on the C:\ drive, then you can simply boot up your system. Locate the file name factory.wim on the Factory Image partition. Make a note of the drive letter and path to that file. On an Inspiron 1720 it is located in D:\Dell\Image\Factory.wim

Now go to the command prompt by typing CMD in the Run box. Type the following command:

imagex /apply d:\dell\image\factory.wim 1 c:\

But also check for any infections by running your Antivirus scans, and also several antimalware scans. (Malwarebytes is a good one.)

n30r3b3l

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Quick update on the issue. Windows Update can connect and download. I guess there was just a glitch when it didn't work. I can ping both IP addresses and web addresses. I can ping other computers on the network but the computer with the problem cannot be pinged. Also I ran a port scanner on the machine from the network and from the local machine itself and there are absolutely no ports open. Windows messenger will not connect either