Underclocking an athlon xp 2800

lotas

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
Hi

I have an athlon xp 2000 fsb 266 with a gigabyte GV-7VA (chipset KT400) motherboard (the bios of this mobo allows to select the fsb, but not the multilpier, which is selected automatically).

The issue is that my computer is terribly noisy. I tried changing the 6cm cpu fan for a quiet 8cm tacens fan, using an adaptor. Although the CFM of both fans is similar, the tacens fan is not enough to cool the cpu- system reboots under heavy load.

I've thought of switching to a 'newer' ahtlon xp (say a 2800, fsb 333,1.65vcore). My idea is to keep the fsb at 266 so that the processor generates less heat (and runs slower, i now) and so i can switch to a nice, silent, tacens fan, and probably get a slight performance increase.

So my question is: shall i have any stability problems running an athlon xp 2800 (333 fsb) with a lower fsb, say 266?

thanks

DM0407

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
I am assuming price is an issue, but the newer processors are built on a smaller process and can produce higher speeds with less temp. If you can afford a new board. CPU and possibly ram you could more than double your speed AND reduce noise.

Is there a budget you would like to stay under, is there a reason you want to stick with this CPU?

lotas

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
>Is there a budget you would like to stay under, is there a reason you want to >stick with this CPU?

Hi, I'm not thinking of spending much, just enough to get a second hand cpu at ebay. it'd be nice to have performance increased a bit as a side effect of the cpu upgrade, but my main concern is noise.

I suspect it'll create about the same amount of heat, as processors are just seperated on how they can perform (binning), the fast ones are the same as the slow ones just running faster. Hence a 2800+ running at 2000+ speeds will generate the same amount of heat as a 2000+ running at stock.

It probably isn't worth it.

You could get one of the cheaper C2D's an E2140 or similar, and an Asrock Dual series board, you can use your old RAM, PSU, GFX, all you'd need is CPU and Mobo, it would set you back maybe £90 in the UK, maybe $150?

endyen

Splendid
shall i have any stability problems running an athlon xp 2800 (333 fsb) with a lower fsb, say 266?
Been there done that, worked great.
I dont know about your board, but if you can adjust the vcore to below stock, this helps more.
I'm not familiar with the hsf you mentioned, but some of the thermalright heatpipe units could cool your current chip, with little or no fan power at all.

coret

Distinguished
May 29, 2007

Except that the 2000+ is a Palomino (or Thoroughbred at best) while the 2800+ is a Barton ... 2800+ at full speed consumes less power / produces less heat than the 2000+ (I've owned both ... still using the 2000+ as a paperweight as it produces less heat that way :p)

Even if the 2800+ is a thoroughbred core it will still be cooler than the palomino.

---

To the OP ... you shouldn't have problems running it at lower speeds, but every PC component has it's quirks so it may not like it. However, the 2800+ (barton) should run cooler than the 2000+ anyway.

lotas

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
Hi there,

Just in case someone browses this thread looking for info.

I've installed an athlon xp barton 2600 setting the fsb @ 133x2 and works fine. The motherboard reports "unknown cpu" but automatically sets the correct vcore and the system is complete stable. I have not experienced performance problems, either. The cpu temperature has dropped around 13º-15º celsius degrees even after installing a silent fan with lower CFM.

thanks for your help.

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Guys your all missing the point, he doesnt want a new mb & chip, he wants to makes his pc quieter.

@lotas, research an aftermarket cooler for the cpu that will fit your cpu type.