Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Deleted MBR when installing XP

Last response: in Windows XP
June 10, 2010 9:33:37 PM

I was reinstalling XP when I accidentally deleted the MBR. It starts up fine, however when I have a cd in the drive or a USB device plugged in I get the message "no bootable partition in the table". I need to fix this since I want to keep myUSB printer and USB hub plugged into my pc at all times.

I tried going into recovery console and replacing the HAL dll file (d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32" & received the message "this file could not be expanded". I also tried typing the command "FIXMBR" but still getting the "no bootable partition in the table" error message. Can anybody help??!?

More about : deleted mbr installing

June 11, 2010 2:56:28 AM

Try using MBRwizard to repair it, if it were deleted you would be able to boot into windows, but it may be corrupt. Look around the site to familiarize yourself with what it can do, and to use it.
m
l
June 11, 2010 4:50:51 AM

[#0005ff]I've nothing against third party software recommended by trusted posters but as you have Recovery Console, does not a simple FIXMBR and/or FIXBOOT do the trick? If push comes to shove, there's always BOOTCFG.[/#000ff]
m
l
Related resources
June 12, 2010 5:08:46 AM

Update on my error message "no bootable partitionn in the table", and my deleted MBR: Repartitioned hard drive and reinstalled XP. While in the process of this I went into the BIOS to change boot order and noticed my keyboard would not respond when in the BIOS, even after switching to another keyboard.

Turned out the BIOS was messed up also. Once I got the OS reloaded, up and running I went to PC manufacturer's website and downloaded/upgraded the BIOS. All this took a very long time but everything is working fin now. Whew!

Thanks for your help.
m
l
June 12, 2010 2:11:50 PM

I glad you got it working. Based on your most recent post it sounds like the corrupt BIOS was the cause of your original problem.

When I look at my earlier post I see that left out the word "not" - a deleted MBR would NOT allow you to boot into windows.
m
l
October 31, 2010 1:42:33 PM

@ treefrog07, I hear you on your first statement about the corrupt BIOS being the cause of problems in 1st place. But don't understand your 2nd sentence about leaving out a word. Please explain. Thanks very much.
m
l

Best solution

November 2, 2010 1:05:15 AM

treefrog07 said:
here's what I should writtenLTry using MBRwizard to repair it, if it were deleted you would NOT be able to boot into windows, but it may be corrupt. Look around the site to familiarize yourself with what it can do, and to use it.

A deleted or corrupt MBR would prevent your booting into windows.
November 9, 2010 12:20:21 AM

Best answer selected by ckmckee.
m
l
!