Graphics card and motherboard compatibility

My brother has an HP prebuilt system (a1730n) that came with onboard graphics(6150 LE). We are looking at getting and x1650pro for a cheap upgrade to his system. It has an A8M2N-LA motherboard.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00757470&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3239113&dlc=en&lang=en#N357

Is there any way to be sure that this card will work in his system? The motherboard has a PCI-Express x16 slot, which is what the graphics card needs. I'm also concerned about about the 300W power supply it came with.
4 answers Last reply
More about graphics card motherboard compatibility
  1. His PSU might just barely cut it.

It be really pushing it but perhaps you can get the 2600Pro or XT instead. They perform better than the x1650pro at a similar price.
  2. Also depends on what the other specs of the computer are... processor, any other PCI cards, RAM, hard drives, and CD/DVD devices. You might can make it, but you'd be pushing it close.
  3. I dunno, I bought an X1650pro for my Dell which only has a 305 watt PSU and it runs the F@H GPU client flawlessly and has been doing so for the last week now. His PSU might be able to cut it.
  4. Thanks for the quick replies. newegg has the x1650pro for $40, free shipping and a $10 mail in rebate. Hard to beat that price, but if he has to upgrade the power supply as well the price will at least double.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Compatibility Motherboards Prebuilt Systems Graphics