Sign in with
Your question

AMD overdrive overclocking software very impressive! Amd Innovation

Last response: in CPUs
January 18, 2008 7:01:21 PM

Beginners and even experts need not touch the Bios anymore to overclock the Phenom or X2 processors with AMD's excellent overdrive software. Intel might lose many Overclockers...

what are the Benefits:

One easy interface in a friendly windows environment

Automatic Tuning option

Stability check

Here's a link to full information:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/0,,3715_15337_15354_15359,00.h...

This guy Nate manages to significantly increase 3Dmarks in this video:
http://www.gamewiki.amd.com/Overclocking

Inquirer Article:
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/10/...

Quote from Inquirer article:
Quote:
But where the 790X and 790FX (we'll explain the difference between the two in separate article) will really shine is with AMD Overclock, a brilliant little utility that was developed by Canucks over at Markham. AMD Overclock is, finally, an answer to Nvidia's Ntune and Intel's Desktop Control Centre - but it offers more features than any of these two apps.

Quote:
Using the overclocking tool could not be easier. Observe clock going from 1.6GHz (lowest we could get) to 3.5+ GHz

Quote:
With water, we're sure you could get even more, but whoever said that you cannot overclock Black Edition - should seriously reconsider his knowledge status. Our CPU retails for 110 EUR in Croatia (22% VAT), so for this amount of money, you have some serious value. We were actually quite surprised by overclockability of this particular retail product. What was more shocking was the fact that this CPU worked, overclocked by almost 1GHz (2.6GHz stock, 3.54GHz stable OC) on default voltage - 5000+ did not react at all to our increases of voltage, either through this utility nor through Gigabyte's BIOS.

The Inquirer used the 5000+ BE... This is impressive software and I can see this being popular with enthusaists. Yeah I know it's the Inquirer...it appears geniune though.

Evil Intel must be very Jealous... because AMD could be on to a winner here.

Intel is Jealous of AMD! I predict Intel will have loses in 2008! AMD a popular enthusaist choice! AMD4Life!
a b à CPUs
January 18, 2008 7:37:37 PM

Quick, someone pass me a rope, a stool and find me a tree......

I have had enough of this waffling on
January 18, 2008 7:58:12 PM

dude what is impressive with 2.8ghz? or you sort through 5 chips maybe 3ghz?

intel bios is so superior this is just a joke

you can overclock an E6600 to 3.8ghz in 1 min with any asus p35 mobo!
Related resources
January 18, 2008 7:59:23 PM

What are you talking about? It's gone to the point were it's becoming quite entertaining.

Yes Overdrive is a great overclocking tool, but it needs good overclocking chips to take advantage of it.
January 18, 2008 8:07:31 PM

The AMD site and the video have a bias: the AMD site because it is AMD and the guy in the video Who works for AMD and is infact their technical Marketing Manager! Its his job to try to sell AMD chips.

The inquirer article didn't actually come to a conclusion and said it was too early to tell.
January 18, 2008 8:09:27 PM

Ask almost any Phenom owner and they will tell you that Overdrive crashed their system. In theory its great. Doesn't work though.
January 18, 2008 8:12:29 PM

Like nTune, anyone else here think thundy's hired and payed to post this garbage?
January 18, 2008 8:14:41 PM

This is a good one!

Seriously though.. Windows based OCing software sucks, and will always suck for a multitude of reasons.

Stick with the BIOS.
January 18, 2008 8:16:18 PM

starcraftfanatic said:
Like nTune, anyone else here think thundy's hired and payed to post this garbage?

He thinks he's doing AMD a favour.
a c 126 à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 18, 2008 8:33:27 PM

cnumartyr said:
This is a good one!

Seriously though.. Windows based OCing software sucks, and will always suck for a multitude of reasons.

Stick with the BIOS.

I don't know about that. Asus includes their AI OC'ing software with their mobos and it worked great for me in Windows as it let you set the FSB, Memory and each voltage. But this is just a CPU version of ATIs Overdrive which is a nice utility but for CPUs it is different.

I do prefer the BIOS as its easier and more stable since what you do in Windows is just in Windows and not permamnent like in BIOS. Basically you have to save the rpofile and have it reload each time and I can see a down side to that since it would cause stress on the CPU changing like that.

But let him ramble on and on. Its funny although he does get annoying from time to time.
January 18, 2008 8:35:27 PM

jimmysmitty said:
I don't know about that. Asus includes their AI OC'ing software with their mobos and it worked great for me in Windows as it let you set the FSB, Memory and each voltage. But this is just a CPU version of ATIs Overdrive which is a nice utility but for CPUs it is different.

I do prefer the BIOS as its easier and more stable since what you do in Windows is just in Windows and not permamnent like in BIOS. Basically you have to save the rpofile and have it reload each time and I can see a down side to that since it would cause stress on the CPU changing like that.

But let him ramble on and on. Its funny although he does get annoying from time to time.

I know where you are coming from.. but I guess it's just like OCing a graphics card. You can use Riva and do driver level stuff (similar to overdrive) or redo the BIOS and flash it. I feel like flashing it is easier and less of a hastle.

It also seems to perform better.
January 18, 2008 8:41:03 PM

cnumartyr said:
I know where you are coming from.. but I guess it's just like OCing a graphics card. You can use Riva and do driver level stuff (similar to overdrive) or redo the BIOS and flash it. I feel like flashing it is easier and less of a hastle.

It also seems to perform better.

But if something goes array...Your vidcard may have a corrupted bios whereas you can easily clear the cmos in the bios of the MB.
January 18, 2008 8:42:00 PM

Evilonigiri said:
But if something goes array...Your vidcard may have a corrupted bios whereas you can easily clear the cmos in the bios of the MB.

Well.. I was just using it as an example of Driver Level vs BIOS Level Overclocking...

I don't use insane BIOS OCs on the Video card anyways because it's too close to it's limits.
January 18, 2008 8:43:15 PM

WOOT! PHENOM OVERCLOCKS TO SPEED THAT IS LESS THAN WHAT LAUNCH SPEED WAS SUPPOSED TO BE!
January 18, 2008 8:44:29 PM

TC, that's a good thing for TM. Don't spoil it for him.
January 18, 2008 8:47:57 PM

TechnologyCoordinator said:
WOOT! PHENOM OVERCLOCKS TO SPEED THAT IS LESS THAN WHAT LAUNCH SPEED WAS SUPPOSED TO BE!

AMD is Green now... Saving energy and avoiding global warming by not running their CPUs too hot.
January 18, 2008 8:51:36 PM

cnumartyr said:
AMD is Green now... Saving energy and avoiding global warming by not running their CPUs too hot.

If they really want to be green, they need to stop producing cpus.
January 18, 2008 8:52:52 PM

Evilonigiri said:

Or buy Intel CPUs in bulk, re brand them and sell them at a loss.

I bet they would make more money that way.
January 18, 2008 8:55:16 PM

cnumartyr said:
sell them at a loss.

That might work! It's a strategy they have perfected!
a c 126 à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 18, 2008 8:55:32 PM

Evilonigiri said:

Or they could do like Intel has with Penryn/Yorkfeild and drop the lead. Next step for Intel is halogen(I believe) free with Nehalem.

cnumarty, I have been contemplating flashing my HD2900Pro to and equivalent XT just to get a boost in speed but have almost decided to just use Overdrive to OC it as the BIOS corruption = bricked card. Maybe they nee to have a reset BIOS switch on video cards now?
January 18, 2008 9:11:53 PM

Anyone thats hasnt used it can go sit in the corner, it does work, and it is good, it didnt crash my friends 9500 @ 2.7 GHZ (0.1V increase). Il get screenies for ya next time i see him.
January 18, 2008 9:12:03 PM

cnumartyr said:
Or buy Intel CPUs in bulk, re brand them and sell them at a loss.

I bet they would make more money that way.

Too true...

What would even be better is if they just give up.

No loss. No global warming.

A win win deal.
a c 126 à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 18, 2008 9:24:02 PM

yay said:
Anyone thats hasnt used it can go sit in the corner, it does work, and it is good, it didnt crash my friends 9500 @ 2.7 GHZ (0.1V increase). Il get screenies for ya next time i see him.

Most of us are not saying it will crash the system but its not as stable as the BIOS. Trust me, I have used Asus in Windows CPU OC'ing utility and its nice but I prefer the BIOS as it gives you more options and is safer. But I do love ATIs Overdrive for their GPUs.

A 0.1v increase is not that bad. I got my Q6600 to 3GHz and the voltage only increased about 0.04v from 1.120 to 1.160 compared to stock settings. I wounder what voltage increae that he would need to 3GHz. Probably almost another 0.1v which might not be good for the CPU and heat output depending on what Phenoms can handle.
January 18, 2008 9:38:45 PM

Evilonigiri said:
Too true...

What would even be better is if they just give up.

No loss. No global warming.

A win win deal.

yeah, and then the q6600's price would actually manage to go up since it has no competition whatsoever!
another laudable effort by Thunderman to make himself into more of a village idiot (or forum idiot, if you want)
January 18, 2008 9:39:11 PM

spuddyt said:
yeah, and then the q6600's price would go up since it has no competition whatsoever!

It has competition?
January 18, 2008 9:40:16 PM

cnumartyr said:
It has competition?

My question exactly.
a c 126 à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 18, 2008 9:52:40 PM

cnumartyr said:
It has competition?

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!

nice one man nice one....
January 19, 2008 9:22:22 AM

I don't have Phenom and AOD it ran on my skt939 4800x2. Everything was blanked out and all the readings were wrong then it BSOD so I got rid of it. Like I said it has potential but currently it doesn't work.
January 19, 2008 10:00:27 AM

What kinda cracks me up watching the video, you have a AMD tech explaining and struggles speaking english, and a kid that clicks a button and whammo.... okay it took 5 mins or so depending on the system configuration, you have increased speeds and 3dmarks scores... incredible!!! I can't wait till I purchase a phenom Q6600.... :oops: 
a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
January 19, 2008 11:44:51 AM

djcoolmasterx said:
The AMD site and the video have a bias: the AMD site because it is AMD and the guy in the video Who works for AMD and is infact their technical Marketing Manager! Its his job to try to sell AMD chips.

The inquirer article didn't actually come to a conclusion and said it was too early to tell.

I bet he had to cherrypick through more than 5 to find one that would reach 3.2 GHz.

The following is a comment about the mainscreen shown in the inquirer article:

"Reported values
After seeing the date values in the Main Screen, I hardly have any confidence in any of the reported numbers.

posted by : Jacob, 10 November 2007 "

And for those blathering about reaching 3.5GHz at stock voltage, show us a confirming screen grab with CPUZ using a retail chip.

January 19, 2008 12:30:02 PM

cnumartyr said:
It has competition?

i got owned XD
(although if the price were to double, the phenoms might start being vaguely competetive)
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2008 12:53:35 PM

Great stuff thunderman ... keep up the good work.

I really appreciate all of the updates on AMD leading edge stuff.

Gotta go ... the nurse is telling me it's time for my medication.

:) 
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2008 1:01:39 PM

jimmysmitty said:
Most of us are not saying it will crash the system but its not as stable as the BIOS. Trust me, I have used Asus in Windows CPU OC'ing utility and its nice but I prefer the BIOS as it gives you more options and is safer. But I do love ATIs Overdrive for their GPUs.

Just some rhetorical questions...

If you haven't used AMD Overdrive how can you justify saying that cpu Overdrive will not be as stable as OC'ing in the BIOS because of your experience with the Asus cpu oc'ing utility?

Aren't they two different warez?

Can Asus' utility really be an indicator of how well AMD's Overdrive wil perform?

a b à CPUs
January 19, 2008 1:11:06 PM

gpippas said:
I don't have Phenom and AOD it ran on my skt939 4800x2. Everything was blanked out and all the readings were wrong then it BSOD so I got rid of it. Like I said it has potential but currently it doesn't work.

FAIL! :non: 

AMD's Overdrive is meant to be used with the 7xx series chipset and I doubt that your Skt939 mobo has a 790X or 790FX chipset; especially given the 7xx series chipset is only for Skt AM2+ mobos!

A little research goes a loooong way. ;) 
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2008 1:22:40 PM

Grimmy said:
What kinda cracks me up watching the video, you have a AMD tech explaining and struggles speaking english, and a kid that clicks a button and whammo.... okay it took 5 mins or so depending on the system configuration, you have increased speeds and 3dmarks scores... incredible!!! I can't wait till I purchase a phenom Q6600.... :oops: 

So not speaking proper English is somehow related to how well Overdrive works? That's pretty hateful.

I think that AMD's Overdrive tagline should be...

AMD's Overdrive, so easy even a Hater can do it!
said:

AMD's Overdrive, so easy even a Hater can do it!

January 19, 2008 1:29:31 PM

chunkymonster said:
So not speaking proper English is somehow related to how well Overdrive works? That's pretty hateful.

Thunderman's apprentice ;), hope to see you around. You can use multiple quotes, no need for a triple post said:
Thunderman's apprentice ;) , hope to see you around. You can use multiple quotes, no need for a triple post
January 19, 2008 1:32:50 PM

chunkymonster said:

Hateful? I said it cracks me up. :lol: 

Sounds like you have an agenda to pick out haters out there that you hate.

I think the tagline should be:

Don't believe Overdrive is great? Ask Chucky, the hater of people who are cracked up by it!! Oh and be sure your kid does his/her home work if you want them to have this high performing rig.

:lol: . o O (did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed or something?)
January 19, 2008 2:16:39 PM

Overclocking using the Bios is old hat and software like Overdrive is the future. AMD is leading this future!

When AMD release the B3 Phenom it will dominate! I predict that many Relic Core2Duo's and double Cheeseburger quads will find themselves on Ebay. Intel are finished!

I predict huge loses for Intel in 2008! Intel are failing apart! Intel should stop cheating and accept
they are inferior! AMD is the future! AMD fans lets Unite against the Empire...don't be a traitor!

AMD4Life!
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2008 2:27:15 PM

Grimmy said:
Hateful? I said it cracks me up. :lol: 

Sounds like you have an agenda to pick out haters out there that you hate.

I think the tagline should be:

Don't believe Overdrive is great? Ask Chucky, the hater of people who are cracked up by it!! Oh and be sure your kid does his/her home work if you want them to have this high performing rig.

:lol: . o O (did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed or something?)
Who's Chucky? The doll from the horror movie? If that was supposed to be a reference to me since you are replying to my post, the least you can do in your sad attempt at wit is to get my moniker right.

Still doesn't explain why the guy "having trouble speaking English" is funny. What exactly about that cracks you up?

Perhaps if he spoke with a NY accent or a Southern drawl, the presentation would be more acceptable to you.

Maybe it's an issue you have with Canadians.

Or maybe because this thread and the video is about an AMD product and demonstration.

'Nuff said...

a b à CPUs
January 19, 2008 2:31:08 PM

shuyin said:
Thunderman's apprentice ;) , hope to see you around. You can use multiple quotes, no need for a triple post
It is a public forum.

Next time I'll be sure to reply to mulitple post with just one large post so as to better convenience you.

Yeah right!

Triple post this! :kaola:  :kaola:  :kaola:  :kaola:  :kaola: 

January 19, 2008 2:31:50 PM

thunderman said:
Overclocking using the Bios is old hat and software like Overdrive is the future. AMD is leading this future!

When AMD release the B3 Phenom it will dominate! I predict that many Relic Core2Duo's and double Cheeseburger quads will find themselves on Ebay. Intel are finished!

I predict huge loses for Intel in 2008! Intel are failing apart! Intel should stop cheating and accept
they are inferior! AMD is the future! AMD fans lets Unite against the Empire...don't be a traitor!

AMD4Life!

Its not like software level overclocking is anything new.

http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/software/dcc/index...
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2008 2:36:16 PM

djcoolmasterx said:
Its not like software level overclocking is anything new.

http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/software/dcc/index...

Someone who knows.

That's why I find some of the replies in this thread asinine. AMD Overdrive is not anything new. Innovative, not really. A very cool implementation, yes.

Given the history of this forum and the obvious hate towards thunderman, I can only conclude people post negative comments simply because it's an AMD product.

And, if that ain't the definition of fanboy, I don't know what is.

The mods should bring back the "ignore" option to this forum.

January 19, 2008 2:57:49 PM

chunkymonster said:
Who's Chucky? The doll from the horror movie? If that was supposed to be a reference to me since you are replying to my post, the least you can do in your sad attempt at wit is to get my moniker right.

Still doesn't explain why the guy "having trouble speaking English" is funny. What exactly about that cracks you up?

Perhaps if he spoke with a NY accent or a Southern drawl, the presentation would be more acceptable to you.

Maybe it's an issue you have with Canadians.

Or maybe because this thread and the video is about an AMD product and demonstration.

'Nuff said...

Heh, so your nick is chunkymonster... sorry chucky err chunky. So does Nuff said mean you have the last word? Wonder why people seem to say that.. nuff said. On a public forum.. :pfff: 

If you really want to understand why it cracks me up, the advertisement from that movie, makes me feel like its aimed at parents. So they use a guy who has an accent (seems to be intelligent), but has problems speaking english clearly, and uses a simple kid that says he likes games after doing his homework. And a lil kid who does his homework, and presses or clicks on the screen to increase performance which takes time to configure. Gee, wonder how many people are impressed by that?

Now I'm sorry if you don't find my humor funny, but rather think I'm attacking AMD and or it's products.

I'm not mad, not bashing AMD, just that movie. I'd even make fun of Intel commercials if I thought it was really aweful, or if it cracks me up. Hell, I didn't even like the name Core 2 Duo when it came out. :kaola: 

January 19, 2008 3:19:36 PM

thunderman said:

AMD4Life!

AMD fans are now basically the only ones that buy AMD. I'll hold you too the Ebay thing.
January 19, 2008 3:22:30 PM

chunkymonster said:
Someone who knows.

That's why I find some of the replies in this thread asinine. AMD Overdrive is not anything new. Innovative, not really. A very cool implementation, yes.

Given the history of this forum and the obvious hate towards thunderman, I can only conclude people post negative comments simply because it's an AMD product.

And, if that ain't the definition of fanboy, I don't know what is.

The mods should bring back the "ignore" option to this forum.

thunderman said:

AMD4Life!

Surely you do realize that Thunderman is in fact a simple troll, who post his threads not to actually promote AMD, but to invoke responses, either foir his own amusement or to generate hostility towards AMD.

As such, your comment above mearly plays into his hand.

IRT 'the mods' bringing back the 'ignore' option, that is not at our control. When Best Of Media bought THG, they changed the forum software. The current difficulties and loss of features we endure in the forums are the result of that software change. All the mods and admins can do is tell the head admin something is broken. He will then tell the programers. They will fix the problem........if and when they feel like it.

Quote:

Im getting extremely tired of addressing this type of comment. If you bothered, for the very briefest of moments, to actually look at the history of THG forums, you would find that there is no bias, as you imply, against AMD. That preferences vascillate simply as a function of perfromance, value and truth. Not so long ago, when Netburst was the best Intel had to offer, and X2 was the undisputed mainsteam performance and value leader, THG was labeled an 'AMD Fanboy site'. Now, that Intel actually managed to produce something that doesnt fail as netburst did, and actually outperforms X2 by no small margin, the perfromance crowd prefers Intel. And nturally, those who care more about a corporation rather than the actual performance of the products now lable THG a 'Intel fanboy' site. It is not now, nor has it ever been, either an AMD or Intel fanboy site, and your implications demonstrates both a lack of familiarity with the 'history' you yourself tout as well as your own preferences, rather than any actual biases within THG.

Im sorry that AMD tripped over their own lies. Im sorry that Phenom failed miserably to meet AMDs claims. Im sorry that Barcelona had to be stop shipped. Im sorry that AM2 and Brisbane failed to meet the fanboys hype and hopes. Im sorry that QFX was a dismal knee jerk attempt at putting 4 cpus in a single system. Im sorry thats AMDs stock value has suffered because of these problems. But it does not change the fact that these problems occured. It does not change the fact that AMD, not Intel is responsible for these problems and thus the value of thier own stock. It does not change the fact that Thunderman is nothing more than a troll. It does not change that fact that no one here is responsible for these occurances, but are subject to dealing with the results when they choose which products to purchase. Thats the way it is. Get over it.

January 19, 2008 3:24:27 PM

chunkymonster said:

People hate thunderman because he keeps posting these stupid articles to the forums and proclaiming "AMD FOREVER! INTEL SUCKS! AMD INNOVATION! AMD4LIFE!

Nicely put, turpit
January 19, 2008 3:37:38 PM

You all need to give it a break. Stop bashing AMD and praising Intel. They're both excellent companies that have their downs and ups. Just give it a rest...seriously. There must be something else better you can do...or not.
January 19, 2008 4:00:18 PM

thunderman said:

AMD4Life!
Could you please pass the acid...I want what your tripping on
January 19, 2008 4:01:09 PM

nightscope said:
You all need to give it a break. Stop bashing AMD and praising Intel. They're both excellent companies that have their downs and ups. Just give it a rest...seriously. There must be something else better you can do...or not.

Seriously... You really think they have a life???
!