Sign in with
Your question

Should I update BIOS before installing OS?

Last response: in Systems
January 7, 2008 8:45:36 PM

I need to update the BIOS on my motherboard so that it can recognise my faster RAM.

Everything is brand new.

So should I update the BIOS before installing the OS, or vice-versa?

Thanks,

More about : update bios installing

a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
January 7, 2008 9:57:52 PM

I personally like to update it before OS install.
a b V Motherboard
January 7, 2008 10:17:39 PM

I personally prefer latest BIOS before OS install, afterwards, i like to get the latest drivers to everything. From then on, only important drivers get updated (video) and occassionally, the bios.
Related resources
January 7, 2008 10:26:28 PM

Cheers,

Well I managed to update my BIOS - and now the system does boot with my faster ram in. But now it's hanging during POST, "Initializing USB controllers .."

Argh. So close... I'll try resetting the CMOS again =/
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
January 7, 2008 10:37:29 PM

Set it to IDE/PATA mode think its set to AHCI.
January 7, 2008 10:43:51 PM

I can't even get to the BIOS setup - the keyboard isn't working. I'm using the PS2 adaptor instead of it's USB connection.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
January 7, 2008 10:53:17 PM

Did you remove the battery or just jumper the clear CMOS? Remove the battery to ensure BIOS reset.

Also, try to boot with one stick of memory installed. Maybe even try with your USB keyboard in a USB port.
January 7, 2008 11:17:57 PM

Thanks,

Yeah I've been taking out the battery. And I just tried with 1 stick of the fast ram and got the same result.

So I put my Kingston Value Ram 1066 back in ... and it now boots normally etc. !

What does this mean?

I paid £250 for the good memory and I'd really like to use it!

2GB CellShock DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz (7-6-6-18) Dual Channel kit

The motherboard is an Asus P5E3 Deluxe Wifi

Before I updated the BIOS (was 301, now 903) it wouldn't even boot with this faster ram in - so I've made some progress. :( 

BTW I checked the controller mode in the bios and it's IDE, not AHCI. The hard disk and DVD are SATA.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
January 7, 2008 11:21:27 PM

Now that you can boot to the Kingston RAM, go into BIOS and set the RAM timings for the faster RAM, swab RAM sticks, and then try to boot.
January 7, 2008 11:31:46 PM

Hmm that sounds promising.

With the 1600 ram in, the POST screen shows it as Dual Interleaved but it says it's DDR3-1066. The Kingston ram is just 1 stick of 512Mb (and is listed on the QVL).

My CPU is a Q6600 GO and my plan was to eventually run the CPU FSB at 400MHz (from 266), and then have the ram running a 1:2 or (2:3 ?) ratio. Thus allowing it to run at 1600Mhz, right?

But I don't think I can set that in 1 go, can I? This is my first over-clock.

I thought that the faster ram would work, but it would just run much slower than it could? All the BIOS settings are on Auto at the moment.

EDIT

Hmm. Ok I can set the DRAM Frequency to 1600 and it says the FSB frequency and CPU ratio will be optimised automatically. But if I do that I may not be able to change it back if it doesn't work!
January 8, 2008 12:14:50 AM

Didn't really read the other posts...but YES, UPDATE THE BIOS BEFORE you install the OS....

I updated the BIOS on my IFL90 so that it could boot with 4Gb of RAM; a couple days later, the OS crapped out on me and I had to do a full reinstall. Another user experienced the same thing right after he updated his IFL90...

However, supposedly the update reset the AHCI setting or something in the BIOS, and it had to be re-enabled to solve the OS corruption... Who knows...
!