XP SP3 imporvments over SP2

qiddis

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
I think I dun really notice any different,but I still very happy cause it has
fix many bug than the SP2.So, if you have pirate edition of XP, this sp3 build is worth it since that pirate cannaot get support from MS, so you're
now have to be raelly lucky cause you have installed it and in this version
has update the latest security update.

0p3n

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006

Oww make it stop.

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
Not much improvements over games, what i can see the difference are :
- faster indexing/searching
- faster disk cleanup.
- more automatic loaded services (can't figure out yet what are those for)

i don't see any improvements over security. I'm not a hacker :)
Lots of people said, faster loading times, yeah just one or two seconds faster.

I havent even downloaded it yet is it out of Beta yet ?
I read in a magazine that it made XP up to twice as fast as Vista in some applications, Im taking that with a pinch of salt but if it is out of beta Im definatly going to download and install it.
Mactronix

Oh by the way i have update turned on i have heard it will be distributed through the update service but does anyone know if it will be sent as 1 pack or in smaller bits and pieces, I went to the MS site and the first thing they tried to do was get me to install the advanced notification (snooping on customers again) update by telling me it was a security update. :fou: Which i keep telling the update programe i dont want and dont remind me but they keep sending it. Because if its one pack then they can stick it i want to know whats being installed on my pc. If its a pack i can pick and choose from fair enough but im not installing a big pack of stuff that i know nothing about.
Mactronix

nhobo

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
doesn't sound like an improvement to me

faster indexing - turned off for performance
faster disk cleanup - use 3rd party utilities
more loaded services - more stuff to disable for performance
security services - turned off (using hardware firewall)

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006

How is that possible? On my old computer it took 2-3 secs to boot up, no raid no joke.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I'm pretty sure I read that Vista SP1 was going to bring a small speed increase for Vista, but in the same article it mentioned SP3 for XP bringing a 10% (yes, that's what the article said) speed increase in XP... and the author implied this performance gain was a bit embarrassing since it made XP look even more attractive beside its high maintenance sister (Vista)

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9048658

by loading faster i meant that the windows showed up faster
sorry if i wrote bad in the last post :)

winkgood

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2007
If for nothing else, then SP3 is worth it so that I won't have to install 100+ updates every time I stage machines. Just slipstream SP3 and save yourself the hassle of downloading and installing all those updates.

kpo6969

Distinguished
May 6, 2007

I've installed both and there is some truth in what the article said.
For Vista somewhat faster (nothing to write home about).
For XP between 5-10% (closer to 5% than 10%).

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004

I second That !
I would be pleased if they didnt change anything... just make all the 'updates' into 1 nice file called SP 2.9999

IndigoMoss

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
I'm not sure about SP3 for XP, since I only uses XP on my laptop, which doesn't see much use. Vista's SP1 that they released publicly was pretty shoddy. I know it's RC1, but still, these flaws were kind of unacceptable.

1. When opening a game, if the computer hasn't been restarted in a while (on for 5 or more hours) It'd just come up with a black screen, but the game was still running. When this happens, you have to either cold shut off, or Alt-F4 a ton of times and hit enter to put it into sleep, then you would get a display again, but you'd have artifacts, so you have to restart anyways. I'm guessing this is a driver problem due to it being a release candidate.

2.Towards the end of using SP1 RC, I couldn't use any USB device that wasn't already installed and plugged in. My friend asked me to hook up his camera so I could upload some pictures to him, I sat there for a half an hour trying to get drivers to work, but they just wouldn't work. So Vista tells me that there is a hotfix for it, but when I try to install it, it says it doesn't apply to my system. I then had to boot up my laptop with XP and use it's card reader. My GH3 controller didn't work either, so I couldn't even get my Frets on Fire fix.

3. While playing back Xvid, it would lock up the computer to the point where a hard shutoff is necessary. The only way to remedy this was to put my processor settings back to stock.

All in all, I was pretty disappointed with SP1, it offered almost no performance gain and gave me a ton of problems. As soon as I uninstalled the service pack, all of the things mentioned above ceased to be a problem.

To top it all off, they justified to me that my $200 dollar purchase of Vista Ultimate was in vain.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=806 Seriously? Wtf is this? I payed $100 dollars for a black box (which I didn't even: OEM), a poker game and Dreamscene? Thanks Microsoft for giving me Spider Solitaire for free.