Strange Error in BW Zerg Mission #2

Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft (More info?)

I mostly play SC/BW with a group of friends in player vs player mode.
However, sometimes for kicks and grins, I go play the original SC or BW
missions. I was playing one of these today and discovered a strange error.
In the Broodwar Zerg mission #2 - "The Kel-Morian Combine", you start with
only an SCV carrying a psi emitter and about 800 minerals. This allows you
to control some renegade zerg in the area. I immediately use this
SCV/emitter to control the two drones, 8 lings, and 3 hydras (actually
hunter-killers, sort of a Hydra on steroids). I then tell one of the two
drones to make a hatchery at the starting resource node. If I wait for the
hatch to finish building and THEN tell the other drone to morph into an
extractor at the gas mine, the game continues in a normal manner. However,
if I tell the second drone to morph into an extractor while the first
hatchery is still building, the scenario ends and I get the message, "You
have failed to achieve victory." Does anyone know why this happens? Is it
a bug or am I missing some reason for this? Note that at this point in the
scenario I have NO unit supply. There is no hatch and no overlords. Once
the hatch is built, I have the 1 supply granted by a hatch.

G'day,

Jim
2 answers Last reply
More about strange error zerg mission
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft (More info?)

    "Jim Young" <jim.youngspammenot@chartermi.net> wrote in message
    > I mostly play SC/BW with a group of friends in player vs player mode.
    > However, sometimes for kicks and grins, I go play the original SC or BW
    > missions. I was playing one of these today and discovered a strange
    error.
    > In the Broodwar Zerg mission #2 - "The Kel-Morian Combine", you start with
    > only an SCV carrying a psi emitter and about 800 minerals. This allows
    you
    > to control some renegade zerg in the area. I immediately use this
    > SCV/emitter to control the two drones, 8 lings, and 3 hydras (actually
    > hunter-killers, sort of a Hydra on steroids). I then tell one of the two
    > drones to make a hatchery at the starting resource node. If I wait for
    the
    > hatch to finish building and THEN tell the other drone to morph into an
    > extractor at the gas mine, the game continues in a normal manner.
    However,
    > if I tell the second drone to morph into an extractor while the first
    > hatchery is still building, the scenario ends and I get the message, "You
    > have failed to achieve victory." Does anyone know why this happens? Is
    it
    > a bug or am I missing some reason for this? Note that at this point in
    the
    > scenario I have NO unit supply. There is no hatch and no overlords. Once
    > the hatch is built, I have the 1 supply granted by a hatch.

    Hmm - probably some trigger meant to ensure that you always have a zerg unit
    or something.

    I suppose by a stretch you could call it a bug

    --
    LTP

    When the llama speaks you listen. Unfortunately the llama hasn't spoken
    yet.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft (More info?)

    After going to <http://tinyurl.com/2tnqw>
    "Jim Young" <jim.youngspammenot@chartermi.net> wrote

    >I mostly play SC/BW with a group of friends in player vs player mode.
    >However, sometimes for kicks and grins, I go play the original SC or BW
    >missions. I was playing one of these today and discovered a strange error.
    >In the Broodwar Zerg mission #2 - "The Kel-Morian Combine", you start with
    >only an SCV carrying a psi emitter and about 800 minerals. This allows you
    >to control some renegade zerg in the area. I immediately use this
    >SCV/emitter to control the two drones, 8 lings, and 3 hydras (actually
    >hunter-killers, sort of a Hydra on steroids). I then tell one of the two
    >drones to make a hatchery at the starting resource node. If I wait for the
    >hatch to finish building and THEN tell the other drone to morph into an
    >extractor at the gas mine, the game continues in a normal manner. However,
    >if I tell the second drone to morph into an extractor while the first
    >hatchery is still building, the scenario ends and I get the message, "You
    >have failed to achieve victory." Does anyone know why this happens? Is it
    >a bug or am I missing some reason for this? Note that at this point in the
    >scenario I have NO unit supply. There is no hatch and no overlords. Once
    >the hatch is built, I have the 1 supply granted by a hatch.

    You could always let the second drone mine minerals until you have enough for
    some overlords and more drones.
    --
    no, i didn't forget the 'F's
    http://www.geocities.com/jerk_o2002