Strange Error in BW Zerg Mission #2

Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft (More info?)

I mostly play SC/BW with a group of friends in player vs player mode.
However, sometimes for kicks and grins, I go play the original SC or BW
missions. I was playing one of these today and discovered a strange error.
In the Broodwar Zerg mission #2 - "The Kel-Morian Combine", you start with
only an SCV carrying a psi emitter and about 800 minerals. This allows you
to control some renegade zerg in the area. I immediately use this
SCV/emitter to control the two drones, 8 lings, and 3 hydras (actually
hunter-killers, sort of a Hydra on steroids). I then tell one of the two
drones to make a hatchery at the starting resource node. If I wait for the
hatch to finish building and THEN tell the other drone to morph into an
extractor at the gas mine, the game continues in a normal manner. However,
if I tell the second drone to morph into an extractor while the first
hatchery is still building, the scenario ends and I get the message, "You
have failed to achieve victory." Does anyone know why this happens? Is it
a bug or am I missing some reason for this? Note that at this point in the
scenario I have NO unit supply. There is no hatch and no overlords. Once
the hatch is built, I have the 1 supply granted by a hatch.

G'day,

Jim

"Jim Young" <jim.youngspammenot@chartermi.net> wrote in message
> I mostly play SC/BW with a group of friends in player vs player mode.
> However, sometimes for kicks and grins, I go play the original SC or BW
> missions. I was playing one of these today and discovered a strange
error.
> In the Broodwar Zerg mission #2 - "The Kel-Morian Combine", you start with
> only an SCV carrying a psi emitter and about 800 minerals. This allows
you
> to control some renegade zerg in the area. I immediately use this
> SCV/emitter to control the two drones, 8 lings, and 3 hydras (actually
> hunter-killers, sort of a Hydra on steroids). I then tell one of the two
> drones to make a hatchery at the starting resource node. If I wait for
the
> hatch to finish building and THEN tell the other drone to morph into an
> extractor at the gas mine, the game continues in a normal manner.
However,
> if I tell the second drone to morph into an extractor while the first
> hatchery is still building, the scenario ends and I get the message, "You
> have failed to achieve victory." Does anyone know why this happens? Is
it
> a bug or am I missing some reason for this? Note that at this point in
the
> scenario I have NO unit supply. There is no hatch and no overlords. Once
> the hatch is built, I have the 1 supply granted by a hatch.

Hmm - probably some trigger meant to ensure that you always have a zerg unit
or something.

I suppose by a stretch you could call it a bug

--
LTP

When the llama speaks you listen. Unfortunately the llama hasn't spoken
yet.

Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft (More info?)

After going to <http://tinyurl.com/2tnqw>
"Jim Young" <jim.youngspammenot@chartermi.net> wrote

>I mostly play SC/BW with a group of friends in player vs player mode.
>However, sometimes for kicks and grins, I go play the original SC or BW
>missions. I was playing one of these today and discovered a strange error.
>In the Broodwar Zerg mission #2 - "The Kel-Morian Combine", you start with
>only an SCV carrying a psi emitter and about 800 minerals. This allows you
>to control some renegade zerg in the area. I immediately use this
>SCV/emitter to control the two drones, 8 lings, and 3 hydras (actually
>hunter-killers, sort of a Hydra on steroids). I then tell one of the two
>drones to make a hatchery at the starting resource node. If I wait for the
>hatch to finish building and THEN tell the other drone to morph into an
>extractor at the gas mine, the game continues in a normal manner. However,
>if I tell the second drone to morph into an extractor while the first
>hatchery is still building, the scenario ends and I get the message, "You
>have failed to achieve victory." Does anyone know why this happens? Is it
>a bug or am I missing some reason for this? Note that at this point in the
>scenario I have NO unit supply. There is no hatch and no overlords. Once
>the hatch is built, I have the 1 supply granted by a hatch.

You could always let the second drone mine minerals until you have enough for
some overlords and more drones.
--
no, i didn't forget the 'F's
http://www.geocities.com/jerk_o2002