Sign in with
Your question

Can you use a Hard drive from a Dell and put it on a custom build?

Last response: in Storage
December 30, 2008 4:18:20 AM

Can i take a hard drive from my friends computer and use it in his new custom build or this cannot be done? He wants to save money off another OS so if he sticks his current hard drive in a new build will it work? If it will what will he have to do.
December 30, 2008 4:24:38 AM

No, since dell puts the OEM version it can only be used on one motherboard. Have you looked into upgrading the PSU, RAM, Graphics, and processor on that DELL? That would save you money.
December 30, 2008 4:39:10 AM

Actually, if you have an additional CD of whichever Windows OS your friend is going to use, he can always just reinstall the OS from that CD and just use the activation code listed on the Dell PC. He may have to call Microsoft to verify activation, but as long as he is using another OEM installation that is perfectly legal.
Related resources
December 30, 2008 4:57:08 AM

njalterio said:
Actually, if you have an additional CD of whichever Windows OS your friend is going to use, he can always just reinstall the OS from that CD and just use the activation code listed on the Dell PC. He may have to call Microsoft to verify activation, but as long as he is using another OEM installation that is perfectly legal.

Bump. Yes you can but you will have to reinstall/format, losing your files. More than likely I bet you don't have an actual Windows disc though. Probably some recovery discs or a separate partition on the hardrive itself. Finding a disc shouldnt be too difficult... ;) 
a b G Storage
December 30, 2008 5:32:33 AM

No, If you are using a Dell build of Windows it is tied to a Dell PC; don't know about Vista, but the Dell build of XP looked for a Dell BIOS and refused to run/install without one.
December 30, 2008 6:38:01 AM

MrLinux said:
No, If you are using a Dell build of Windows it is tied to a Dell PC; don't know about Vista, but the Dell build of XP looked for a Dell BIOS and refused to run/install without one.

This is true, but since he is still using the same hard drive it may still be a "Dell PC". Not sure if the Windows OS is tied to the motherboard or the hard drive.

I know from personal experience that if he tries to install the OS from the Dell re installation CD then it will not work, but if he uses a generic OEM disk then all is good.
December 30, 2008 7:28:15 AM

Since i completed my build already, Can i use my installation disc from my Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit and he uses his product key?
a b G Storage
December 30, 2008 10:02:44 AM

If his product key is also for Vista Home Premium 64 bit. Why do I suspect that it is not?
January 2, 2009 1:02:59 AM

vouslavous said:
Since i completed my build already, Can i use my installation disc from my Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit and he uses his product key?

that's perfectly legal. the disc is just a disc. technically all you're really paying for is the license key. so provided that his key is legal (legal being the key word there), then it'll work without a problem.
!