angelicvoices

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
I'm looking for a suggestion on a HTPC Home Theater Case compatible for a full size motherboard, like the Asus Striker Extreme. I had someone ask me to reccomend one, and while I know a lot about computers HTPC is not something I have ever dealt with.

This is what they want to put in it:

Asus Striker Extreme
E6750
PCP&C Silencer 750w
OCZ PC2-6400 2x1gb
XFX GeForce 8800 GS 384MB

They are considering the Silverstone Lascala LC17 case, and are dead set on HTPC. Suggestions?

The case you have listed look good. I used this months ago. It is far more expensive, but does house a full ATX MB. It's deeper than the Silverstone. I used a Zalman 9500 HSF and a 1900GT which both easily fit. The case is roomy and the only drawback I saw is that it is entirely aluminum and you have to be careful when using the metal screws. The HD cage is a bit flimsy, but other than that it's a very good case and reasonably easy to work with. Hard to recommend because of the high price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811235002

Wolfshadw

Titan
IMO a case is a case is a case. So long as it fits in with your decor and provides ample air flow, look for case features that you (or your friend) like/need. I'm currently using an NMediaPC 200BA (mATX) case and have had no problems with it.

Some things to look out for:
1) Power Supply location - Make sure the 20/24 pin main power and 4 pin CPU power cables are long enough to reach from the power supply to the motherboard locations.
2) Front Panel connections - Make sure the front panel wires will reach your motherboard connections.
3) Ventilation - If the case dimensions just barely fit within the location you intend to place it, look for something smaller. You want to make sure you have good airflow, not only within the case, but around it as well.
4) Case fans - Most come with standard case fans, but you might want to look into how easy replacing them with quieter fans would be if necessary.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I don't see any problems with the case you're looking at.

-Wolf sends