How to test for stablity with Prime95

I just ran Prime95 on my 64x2 AMD 5000 Black Edition for the first time and got these test results:

Self-test 2560K passed!
Starting P-1 factoring with B1=715000, B2=715000
Chance of finding a factor is an estimated 3.22%
P-1 on M42773741 with B1=715000, B2=715000
Using FFT length 2560K

Is this a good test result? Does this mean I am stable at 3.1 GHz? I have never used Prime95 before so I don't know what to make of these results.

I had my Black Edition clocked 3.1GHz before however it kept crashing on me every 2 hours. So this time I bumped the voltage up from 1.30V to 1.35V and it seems to be handling better now.

Can anyone on the forum give me advice on this?

Below are my specs. I currently have the multiplier set at 15.5X
7 answers Last reply
More about test stablity prime95
  1. Sure, you first make sure you have Round Off checking under the advanced tab checked!

That way it stops with an error.

Then you make sure you use the Small ffts torture test to check the stability of the processor.

Using large ffts is useless.

Small for CPU, make sure it runs on all cores!!

Blend test for the RAM stability checks.

8 hours Prime stable fully loaded on small ffts test is acceptable as "stable!" Some people go for more...

--Lupi
  2. Thanks for the reply. That is some very useful information.

I was watching my processor thru CPU-Z while the test was going on and I noticed that the voltage of the CPU would jump up to 1.368V, however I have it set in the bios to 1.350V. Why is it pulling in more voltage than what I have it set to? Is this normal or is this harmful to the processor? Do I need to bump the voltage up to 1.375?
  3. Hmmm, that is odd, but not a bad thing, per see. As a matter of fact, it could be quite useful, because Normally you Idle higher than you load up.

meaning, you idle waaaay higher than it needs for using 5% of the processor just to watch a movie.

With your way, it idles a bit lower, and goes higher, meaning a higher overclock at that speed.

But as I recall, those mobos are a bit off, being AMD junk in em, shiznit, 570 chipset. Hmm, how odd.

Remember, if you havent OCed AMD before, you wont get anything like the intel chips OC. But I have seen some pretty decent OCs, at least you have the unlocked multiplier to play with a bit!

I know the basic info. As your front side bus goes up, you may need a bit of north bridge voltage. 1.40 near 400 FSB.

You may wanna add a tiny bit to the RAM and make the HT voltage 1.25 at 400 FSB.

Not much at all. Should be one notch!

You may see BSODs in Prime small FFTs if you"ve never used it before on yer system!!

--Lupi
  4. Well, nearly 2 years ago I made the mistake of getting an AM2 board and I have regretted it ever since.

My wife is due for a new puter and I think I am going to get her a Wolfdale e8400.

But for now I am stuck with AMD.

The tricky thing for me is that I want to get my Kingston Hyper-X Ram running at 800 MHz with 4-4-4-12 clocks. However I can't get the ram to 800 MHz unless I place a multiplier of x16 on the CPU which would place it at 3.2 GHz and I am not sure if the chip will hold at that level.

With a multiplier of x15.5 that places my ram at 775MHz. What are the optium clocks for the ram at that speed?

Right now I have my ram on default at 1.90V and it running with a Latency of 5. Per MSI's website Kingston HyperX has to be set to 1.95V to run at 4-4-4-12
  5. Kingston Hyper X can be great RAM! I have 4 x 1 GB of the original d9 brand, and it overclocks like a champ! (It's the 1066 version.)

It's fine to go up a bit on the voltage. You may wanna try and get it 1 tick stable. (1 tick command clock.) 4-4-4-12 @2.0 V, 1 t command rate.

When you use the 1 tick command rate, it'll either post, or do nothing! So its easy to tell, just try a lil more voltage if it fails to post!

You may wanna disable any weird Memory options in yer Bios if you have them.

--Lupi
  6. How do the timings work out. If I am stuck at 3.1 GHz and the ram is running at 775MHz then is 4-4-4-12 the timings I want? Or would the optimal timings be different #s?
  7. I am not all that familiar with the sub timings and junk, so maybe a new thread with the title asking about them?

I just know the basics. The lower the better. And if you are under clocking 1066 to that low, the tighter timings can increase the speed, and game some of that raw Mhz you are missing back in performance.

And a command rate of 1 also increases the rams speed via faster latency.

--Lupi
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs AMD Overclocking